Can not submit error reports on flashcard site

• ESET Insiders

I use a several paid flashcard service to study foreign languages. I find errors in translations, and there is an option to submit error reports. If Eset Firewall is enabled then the error submission form fails. It either times out (fails), or takes almost 2 minutes before it says it's complete. In both cases the submssion fails even if it says it was successful due to the extremely long time it took to complete. If I disable Eset Firewall then all error submission reports will go through almost instantly. It is definitely Eset Firewall causing this. The website uses encryption. I dont' know if that has anything to do with it.  What all information do I need to collect for Eset Developers to look into this, and hopefully fix it? Will it help if i'm able to capture the encrypted traffic using fiddler, and save it's log file? Are their any settings I should use with Eset Smart Security to capture the traffic? I already know they will want a SysInspector Log. I use this site all the time so i'm currently having to use Windows firewall which I definitely don't want to do!

The link for the flashcard service that Eset is causing the problems for is below. If needed they would probably give Eset a temporary account to trouble shoot with. They just launch online so their service is pretty basic right now, but they will be adding a lot of features soon. hxxp://voclab.com/en/learn-spanish Here is a video of the problem. You will have to look over my voice lol I have a cold, and have not had any sleep. In this video it says the submission was successfull after running for almost 2 minutes. It was not successful despite it saying it was. The long wait caused it to fail. Most submissions time out with Eset Firewall enabled. All error submission reports submit almost instantly with Eset Firewall disabled. All error submission reports have submitted successfully with Eset Firewall disabled.  Well, here is the video of me sending an error submission report with Eset Firewall enabled. It took almost 2 minutes, and it failed despite it saying it was successful. https://www.dropbox.com/s/bbjmrxtximbcjc8/Vocab%20Lab.mp4?dl=0

thank you,

cutting_edgetech

edited 12-11 @ 12:28 am

Edited by cutting_edgetech

• Administrators

Do you have any custom firewall rules created? In automatic mode, the firewall allows all outbound communication and blocks all non-initiated inbound communication which means that submissions from your computer should not be blocked. With v9 installed, you can run the firewall troubleshooting wizard to see a list of recently blocked communications and allow those that you don't want to have blocked.

• ESET Insiders

I always use Interactive Mode, and normaly I create a rule for the application using the recommended settings by Eset. That's what I did with Firefox. I don't want to use Version 9 yet because I use Excel a lot, and there is a bug with Excel. I also experienced a memory leak with version 9. I'm pretty sure it was memory leak anyways. I had only been using Eset Smart Security 9 for about 2 hours, and the memory usage was around 300 mbs. I don't feel safe using version 9 yet in general. There has been a lot of bugs reported for it that are being fixed. I will wait for a big release fixing a lot of bugs, and try it again. I could configure version 8 to log all blocked packets the next time I find a card with an error that needs submitted, and see what shows up in the log. I think I can do that anyways. It's been so long since I have done it that I don't remember exactly where that option is.

Thank you for your reply!

cutting_edgetech

• Administrators

I don't want to use Version 9 yet because I use Excel a lot, and there is a bug with Excel.

There's no such bug in the latest version 9.0.349. In older versions, you can enable logging of blocked connections in the IDS setup, reproduce the issue and then create a rule for the blocked communication by right-clicking the appropriate record in the firewall log and selecting the appropriate menu option.

• ESET Insiders

I will try enabling the logging in version 8 as you have suggested, and see if I can capure the blocked packets. I want be able to do this though until I find another flash card with an error. Do you think the fact the page is encrypted could have anything to do with it? I have to log into an encrypted account to use the flash cards. I'm using ESS version 8.

Thank You for your help!

Edited by cutting_edgetech

• 1 month later...
  • ESET Insiders

Do you have any custom firewall rules created? In automatic mode, the firewall allows all outbound communication and blocks all non-initiated inbound communication which means that submissions from your computer should not be blocked. With v9 installed, you can run the firewall troubleshooting wizard to see a list of recently blocked communications and allow those that you don't want to have blocked.

Where is the Firewall trouble shooting wizard? I just upgraded to ESS 9, and it has the same bug as version 8. I have to get this fixed. I can't get my work done for it.

• Administrators

Where is the Firewall trouble shooting wizard? I just upgraded to ESS 9, and it has the same bug as version 8. I have to get this fixed. I can't get my work done for it.

If temporarily disabling firewall actually helps, unblock the appropriate communication via the Firewall troubleshooting wizard found under Setup > Network protection > Troubleshooting wizard.

• ESET Insiders

Ok, thank you! I did not know where the wizard was. Yes, disabling Eset firewall works every time. I hope the wizard gives a clear reason why my traffic is being blocked. So far Eset Firewall has caused major usability problems with a site I use several hours each day. If I find it to be a bug at least now I can report the reason why Eset says it's being blocked.