Activating New Licenses

• ESET Insiders

Hello,

I am asking this question about the new licensing system in version 9. My ESS notified me today that my license will expire in 14 days. I know that in all versions of ESS prior to version 9 activating a new license would result in losing whatever remaining days that were left on the old license and start the new license period from that day forward. I know that changes were made in the licensing system so is this still the case? If I activate a new license with 14 days remaining on the old one, will my new license period be 379 (365+14) days or 365 days? I really hope the new system will add the old and new together so I do not have to deal with seeing the messages about my license expiring for 14 days. It would be very nice if this is one of the changes that were made but I do not want to lose 14 days so I am asking first before I activate a new license. Almost all other software have the ability to activate a new license and have your days remaining merge into the new license.

• ESET Moderators
My understanding is this: the "all versions of ESS..." statement only applies to NFR or new purchases, which means you are just buying a new license--if you do that before your previous license expires, you will lose those days (there will be overlap). This has always been the case and still applies now. To get the most out of a license, you can renew up to 90 days before the license expires (in North America), and the new time period won't start until the existing license expires, so you don't "lose" any time (or activate a new license the day the existing one expires). 

Also see questions 7 and 16 from the Licensing FAQ:

Regarding "the ability to activate a new license and have your days remaining merge into the new licens," technically this licensing functionality doesn't exist in the Home licensing model (afaik), and any merging only applies to renewals (per q18 in the FAQ):

• How do I add, subtract or combine my previous license(s) before renewing?
Our Sales Support team will be happy to assist you. License modifications are allowed within 30 days of your initial purchase or within 90 days of your renewal date. Please use our contact page for further assistance.

• ESET Insiders

Hello foneil,

Thanks for the reply and detailed answer. I was aware of how the licensing had worked in the past. I was just hoping that with the new licensing system it was now possible to add a new license to an existing one and merge the remaining days of the two together. Thanks for verifying that this is still not possible with ESET products.

Edited by puff-m-d