Annoying long-term bug: Report Exportation

This is something that has annoyed me since ESET 6.x was released in December of last year. There is no functional way to export generated reports. Many times I would like to present a report of infected computers with the path and their infection type to those users. Every time I attempt to export, the report is corrupted and outputs a mixture of Chinese and unknown characters.

My server is CentOS 6.5 and ERAS is 6.1.33. I've been able to replicate this on the latest versions of Chrome/Firefox/IE on Linux and Windows 7. It would be really great to have this functionality.

I even attached the file in question below.

Report Templates export 2015-11-03 13-06-42.txt

• Administrators

This is not a bug. You exported the report template for import on another instance of ERAS. It's a binary file intended for use by ERAS. If you want to save a report for further presentation, click Save after a report has been generated. You will be presented with options to save to a file or send by email:

post-10-0-10978100-1446576188_thumb.png

Hmm... 11 months and I was never aware of such a feature. I think this is telling of the User Friendliness of the Web Interface for us. I was I easily spend 1-2 active hours a day on ESET and never saw this. It should totally be made clearer that this is a binary intended for other ERAS only. It's more confusing when it's generated as a .txt file and people like me lead to think something is wonky. I wonder how many people are also unaware.

So, I went to generate a Report but I also noticed that there is only 'Email' or 'Save to File' option. I don't have my email settings configured yet, but it would be nice to be able to generate a file and send it directly through the ERAS, rather than needing to log in remotely to the server to pull the file (or log into my Email Web Interface). Extra steps seem kind of pointless IMO.

Either way, it's still a neat feature. Thanks for clarifying it Marcos. 

• Administrators

As for the extension of report templates, I've reported it as a bug/improvement for future versions. Regarding your question about emailing reports directly from ERAS, once you configure your SMTP server in the ERAS setup, you can email reports directly from ERAS or schedule reports to be generated and emailed you in desired time intervals.

Hey Marcos,

I had some free time today and went ahead to configure SMTP on the ERAS. I ran into a bunch of errors on ReportPrinterTool when rendering the report because libQtWebkit.so.4 was not found. I was able to download Qt Webkit from EPEL repos and move away from this error, but now I'm stuck at this error:

2015-11-05 20:12:53 Error: CReportPrinterModule [Thread 7f2ce7fff700]: ReportPrinter: ReportPrinterTool exited with: loaded the Generic plugin <EOL>can't make "generic.orientation" because no QAccelerometer sensors exist <EOL>can't make "generic.orientation" because no QAccelerometer sensors exist <EOL>can't make "generic.orientation" because no QAccelerometer sensors exist <EOL>Failed to print report with: QtReportPrinter: Operation timeout [code:20]

2015-11-05 20:12:53 Error: CReportsModule [Thread 7f2d011f4700]: ReportPrinter: ReportPrinterTool exited with: loaded the Generic plugin <EOL>can't make "generic.orientation" because no QAccelerometer sensors exist <EOL>can't make "generic.orientation" because no QAccelerometer sensors exist <EOL>can't make "generic.orientation" because no QAccelerometer sensors exist <EOL>Failed to print report with: QtReportPrinter: Operation timeout [code:20]

I'm having trouble locating what QAccelerometer is and moving past this error.

My ERAS is 6.1.33 installed on a CentOS 6.6 x86_64 VM.

Here are my installed packages for QtWebKit:

[root@vm-eset ~]# rpm -qa | grep qt

qt-devel-4.6.2-28.el6_5.x86_64
qt-sqlite-4.6.2-28.el6_5.x86_64
qtwebkit-2.1.1-1.el6.x86_64
qtwebkit-devel-2.1.1-1.el6.x86_64
qt-mobility-1.1.3-2.el6.x86_64
qt-4.6.2-28.el6_5.x86_64
qt-x11-4.6.2-28.el6_5.x86_64

• 5 months later...

Hello,

I've got the same issue when generating reports.

The ESET support has send me two files and one shell command to fix this issue. i don't know if it's allowed to upload the files here. So please contact the support.

In the virtual appliance download the issue is now fixed.

You know I did find that KB a few weeks ago, but it did absolutely nothing because there is no compile and install directions on the webkit link. Unless there's something that I missed, I don't see it anywhere under 'Wiki' or any other page.

Not trying to sound like a typical end-user but if you can provide more specific instructions or a more direct link other than https://trac.webkit.org, that'd be helpful.