eset configuration for outlook imap with ssl

I just installed smart security on a new windows 10 pc running outlook.  My outlook account is imap and the connection is ssl.

1.  Email client integration: I initially tried with eset set at the default for integrate into outlook and that didn't work (that freezes outlook syncing).  So I have that off now, but I would like to know what I am losing by turning that off.  Thoughts?

2.  Enable IMAP scanning: here again, when I have this turned on it freezes outlook syncing...I read elsewhere that this is because I am using SSL for my outlook account.  So I turned that off and investigated protocol filitering as per the below.  Am I losing something important by not enabling IMAP syncing?

3.  Protocol filtering (SSL): Since I read that the problem with enable IMAP scanning is that I need to marry that with SSL protocol filtering, I started playing with that.  But turning that on creates a mess in regular firefox browsing.  I read somewhere I could fix that by importing the eset security certificate into firefox, but I also read this actually makes me LESS secure.  Any advice about whether I should be trying to get ssl protocol filtering working and then turn on imap scanning?  Or is it fine for me to leave all of these off?

A couple of things could be going on here. First, I don't use Outlook but instead use Thunderbird as my e-mail client.

Below is a screen shot of Eset's default e-mail port settings:

post-6784-0-22005700-1441546289_thumb.png

Note the default port settings for both IMAP and IMAPS. These must sync with your corresponding Outlook settings. If you are using IMAP which BTW does not support an encrypted SSL connection, then your Outlook same setting must be port 143.  

Also use of e-mail protocol is dictated by your ISP. For example, I can receive e-mail encrypted using IMAPS but have to send e-mail unencrypted using IMAP protocol.

Additionally in Thunderbird, I need to set my email protocol to TLS/SSL for a IMAP connection. The SSL option is only supported for IMAPS.

The Eset SSL protocol option determines whether or not your incoming encrypted e-mail i.e. IMAPS/POPS, will be unencrypted and scanned for malware. If SSL protocol scanning is turned on, the encrypted e-mail will be scanned; otherwise it will not be scanned. Using Thunderbird, this results in Eset inserting its root certificate in Thunderbird's root CA store. I believe Outlook might use Windows root CA store? If you received e-mail via IMAP, that e-mail will be automatically scanned by Eset w/o enabling Eset's SSL protocol scanning since it is unencrypted.

Note enabling Eset's SSL protocol scanning will also result in all your Internet HTTPS connections being unencrypted and scanned for malware also. So be aware of that.

Edited by itman

Thanks for the reply.

My outlook connects with imap using ssl for both incoming and outgoing (so I guess that means it is 'imaps'?).  I don't think I can enable imap checking without turning on 'always scan ssl protocol', right?  But if I do that, as you mention, that means https connections are unencrypted and that seems to be a big hole.

So my questions are:

- am I losing anything important if I do not turn on integration with outook?

- am I losing anything important if I do not turn on use imaps proocol checking for selected ports (which I can only do if I turn on always scan ssl protocol)?

- am I right that turning on always scan ssl protocol is generally a bad idea (which is why eset comes with that turned off by default)?

So my questions are:

- am I losing anything important if I do not turn on integration with outook?

Per Eset Help:

Integration of ESET Smart Security with email clients increases the level of active protection against malicious code in email messages. If your email client is supported, integration can be enabled in ESET Smart Security. When integration is activated, the ESET Smart Security toolbar is inserted directly into the email client, allowing for more efficient email protection. Integration settings are available through Setup > Enter advanced setup... > Web and email > Email client protection > Email client integration.

Email clients that are currently supported include Microsoft Outlook, Outlook Express, Windows Mail, Windows Live Mail. For a complete list of supported email clients and their versions, refer to the following ESET Knowledgebase article.

Select the check box next to Disable checking upon inbox content change if you are experiencing a system slowdown when working with your email client. This can occur when retrieving email from the Kerio Outlook Connector Store.

Even if integration is not enabled, email communication is still protected by the email client protection module (POP3, IMAP). (
Note that IMAPS/POPS e-mail is not protected since it is encrypted unless SSL protocol scanning is enabled.)

- am I losing anything important if I do not turn on use imaps proocol checking for selected ports (which I can only do if I turn on always scan ssl protocol)?

See above reply.

- am I right that turning on always scan ssl protocol is generally a bad idea (which is why eset comes with that turned off by default)?

Yes and no.

Yes in that all encrypted communication, web and e-mail, will be scanned. You might not want that on certain web sites where you want your privacy maintained. You can however exclude those specific web sites from being unencrypted and scanned. 

No in that encrypted e-mail/attachments can contain malware. Also encrypted web sites can be hosting malware.

Edited by itman

THanks.  I am using outlook 2013 latest version (just downloaded it a few days ago and it is up to date).  But I have read in other threads that even when compatible, integration crashes outlook if the account connects via ssl (as mine does), and the only way to fix is to enable ssl scanning (which creates a security hole).  So am I right that I should just forget about integration and about imaps scanning?

• Administrators

THanks.  I am using outlook 2013 latest version (just downloaded it a few days ago and it is up to date).  But I have read in other threads that even when compatible, integration crashes outlook if the account connects via ssl (as mine does), and the only way to fix is to enable ssl scanning (which creates a security hole).  So am I right that I should just forget about integration and about imaps scanning?

We wouldn't allow for anything that wouldn't be safe enough. Not sure what you mean by saying that enabling SSL scanning creates a security hole; if you trust ESET that we don't submit any sensitive information then there's no risk in enabling it. In the world of computers you have to trust somebody; otherwise you couldn't enter any sensitive information into browsers even if secure communication is used and certification authorities would lose their meaning for you too.

Ah, thanks.  So aside from the fact that the eset program itself 'sees' the unencrypted version of communications with webstes, those communications remain encrypted from the point of view of other observers?  Does that info go back to eset or does it remain local?

But should I care about integration?  Seems like eset still warns me when an email comes in that has a possible virus, and I have read elsewhere that integration is convenient but doesn't actually improve security,,,is that right?  And same question about imaps scanning...if that would pick up a problem, is it correct that eset would protect me from clicking on the same problem so that I end up being protected even without imaps scanning and ssl protocol scanning?

Edited by asinshesq

• Administrators

Ah, thanks.  So aside from the fact that the eset program itself 'sees' the unencrypted version of communications with webstes, those communications remain encrypted from the point of view of other observers?  Does that info go back to eset or does it remain local?

The communication remains local and there's no difference in what is submitted to ESET compared to non-encrypted communications provided that you have statistics and/or file submission enabled. E.g. if you download an executable file over https and it's suspicious to ESET for some reason (e.g. has malware characteristics), the file would be submitted to ESET for further analysis.

As for integration, there are several benefits of having it enabled:

- antispam protection

- re-scanning messages

- scanning of outgoing email.