ESET File Security 6 cause System freeze (2k8r2)

Hi,

i got a problem with ESET File Security for Windows Server :-/

It runs flawless some times but from a day to another the system freezes without reaktion...

i can't move the mouse, don't get a bluescreen... nothing..

I have called our Dell ProSupport becaus i thought it's a hardware problem... but after they has checked the Memory an Kernel dumps they told me that ESET cause the Problem.

"normaly" i got the Systems crash in the night when the server is idle. one to two times a week.

After uninstalling ESET i didnt have any more freezes for 2 weeks.

i have reinstalled ESET from a freshly downloaded setup (6.0.12035.1) on wednesday and got today a system freeze.... :-|

I got one Full memory dump, the minidump and some perfmon logs from one of the crashs.

The same DELL had to check what causes the freeze.

*help*

Hi,

nope, it wasn't installed on the Server.

I Installed it now and will reinstall ESET now to check if it has been solved.

Thanks!

• Administrators

Alternatively you could disable protocol filtering to prevent the bug in Windows Filtering Platform from manifesting. Normally this shouldn't be a problem as servers shouldn't be used to browse websites or receive emails with the exception of terminal servers.

It looks like the kb did fix the problem...

I got another nearly identical server, should i install the fix on all our servers?

Or just on this ones who are having problems?

• Administrators

I got another nearly identical server, should i install the fix on all our servers?

It's up to you. I'd install it to prevent the problem from manifesting in the future.

Does this hotfix problem apply to Eset Mail Security for Microsoft Exchange v6.2? I've had multiple system freezes in the last week necessitating the system (SBS2008) to be hard powered off with the power button. Cause as yet unknown, but Eset Mail Security is my current guess as that is the main thing that has changed on the server just before this issue started.

I'll start my own thread to discuss my server as that would appear to be more helpful than cluttering this thread with a potentially separate problem. But I'll leave discussion of this Microsoft Hotfix to this thread, so that info all stays together:-

Is this Microsoft Hotfix definitely safe to install on SBS2008? It isn't on the list of applicable systems on the Microsoft Hotfix page.