Do I need a DNS SRV record for ERA?

Go to solution Solved by jimwillsher,

I'm busy reading the user guide for ERA, and there's an arbitrary section towards the end of the installation process about creating a DNS SRV record.  Is this necessary?  What is it used for?  Thanks!

• Solution

No. At least, we don't have one.

We don't use proxy and we don't use Rogue Device detector and we don't use any mobile stuff, just ERA and windows clients. Don't know if that helps....

Jim

Thanks Jim.  I'll leave it off for now and see how we go.  I'm battling to get EndPoint Antivirus clients activated (hopefully it's not related), but I'll create another post for that.  My activation tasks are failing - would be nice if it gave an error to work with!

What does the agent log show on the clients? C:\programdata\eset\blah

We've had no issue with activation. My workflow is:

1 install agent, either via vnc, teamviewer, rdp, psexec etc

2 wait for client to appear in lost and found

3 move client to right group

4 install ESET, via a software install task that also has a license associated with it.

That way, ESET gets installed, activated, and updated all in sequence and all automatically.

Hi Jimwillsher, thanks for the response.  I'm trying to get my workflow completely automated.  When we deploy a new PC, it must get the agent and antivirus installed via GPO, and it must activate automatically.  I've got a separate post running here for the activation issue - https://forum.eset.com/topic/5406-endpoint-antivirus-activation-task-failing/.  Would appreciate your input on that one if you have any ideas as well  :-)  The logs indicate that the client could not connect to the activation server.  I'm trying to understand if that is the ERA server, or an internet-based server etc.