Upgrading from 4.2 to 6.1

jst3751

Does anyone have a good or bad comments or experiences when upgrading both ERA and clients from 4.2 to 6.1?

What about the 6.1 Virtual Appliance for ERA? If seen feedback on another site that says the Virtual Appliance is not ready for prime time yet.

• 2 weeks later...
  • ESET Moderators

Hello,

I would recommend you to set up a testing environment or select a testing group of few people and deploy for them at first.

Clients can be upgraded, but for ERA fresh deployment is recommended.

v.4 is really quite old if you want to ensure maximum security the upgrade is needed.

Regarding the appliance I can't agree we have no serious issues reported for it and many customers are deploying it.

P.R.

• 2 weeks later...

When upgrading ESET Clients, you should uninstall and reinstall. Had a lot of trouble that clients lost their configuration after doing a manual or automatic upgrade. (include the setting to connect to the eras)

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone have a good or bad comments or experiences when upgrading both ERA and clients from 4.2 to 6.1?

What about the 6.1 Virtual Appliance for ERA? If seen feedback on another site that says the Virtual Appliance is not ready for prime time yet.

As suggested try things first in test environment. My experience has been negative since first steps and I'm upgrading from v5. Basically your only option is to do clean install since upgrade does not offer any advantage and creates more problems if you are upgrading on same machine. Policies are not upgradable from older versions to v6 so after that we decided to wait and follow forum for other people feedback. Unfortunately, we don't see that ESET will change v6 dramatically to be like v5 fast, intuitive and efficient. This leaves us in unpleasant situation to search for alternative that will offer same things for budget we had for ESET.

Best luck!