Update EES 6 clients to latest release

WayneISC

I saw today that version 6.1.2222.0 was released at the end last week. So far they haven't but will my clients automatically update from 6.1.2109.0 to this new release? My ERA server shows 6.1.2222.0 as the version to deploy to new clients so I know it's there. I can always make a deploy task to push it out, but I was hoping it would automatically update. 

good question, i have yet to have a client upgrade be successful. the upgrade breaks the install and you have to run the eset uninstaller to fix the machine. this is ridiculous

good question, i have yet to have a client upgrade be successful. the upgrade breaks the install and you have to run the eset uninstaller to fix the machine. this is ridiculous

@tduffy

I was able to successfully upgrade clients from v6.1.2109.0 to v6.1.2222.0 using a client install task. Can you elaborate on what you mean by "the upgrade breaks the install"?

over half of our client install tasks failed. So i resorted to deploying the MSI installer via group policy and those failed too. If you try to run the installer manually now it fails. Only way around it is run the removal tool in safe mode. This version 6 product is JUNK and I wish I would have never upgraded.

• Administrators

I can't say that I'm very happy with version 6 either.  I'm considering downgrading back to 5.

Although ERA v6 may seem to be complicated at the first glance, it offers much more possibilities to administrators than the previous versions, with room for improvements for future versions. To name some advantages: running both on Windows and Linux, console accessible from a browser without the need to install a separate application, agents capable of controlling Endpoint on clients even if there's no connection to ERAS (e.g. they can apply a policy to disconnect the computer from network when an active threat is detected), etc.

ESET Customer care as well as moderators here will be happy to help you solve potential issues or clear up things you might not understand after installing v6. We have established a moderator team that now also includes a handful of ERA developers so that you could get most accurate response here.

Before deploying a brand new product on a big number of machines, we always strongly recommend users to test it in a testing environment and get used to it and just then gradually deploy it on other computers.

As for ERA v5, it hasn't been completely discontinued yet and is still available for download so should we be unable to help you quickly solve issues, you may consider downgrading to it, reproduce the issue(s) in a testing environment and work with us on finding a solution.

I've upgraded 162 clients from 2109 to 2222. I just set up a dynamic group to select clients with 2109 and assigned a task to do a software installation of 2222. Every one upgraded without a hitch.

Hmm, I guess I'll have to set up a push install task to do it. Don't version 5 clients auto update? I know I've never manually updated any of my EES 5 clients, but to be fair I've also never actually checked the program version numbers before now so for all I know they may not have auto updated. The only reason I'm interested in manually updating to the latest EES 6 version is that it supposedly fixes dual update profiles so my laptop users will switch to using the internet to update definitions when off site.