Migrate from Windows to Linux

We are currently running ERA on one of our Windows servers but would like to move it to a Linux server instead; no point in buying a Windows license if you fully support Linux. :)

I already have everything deployed now and would rather not start over and redo the agents. What is the best way to migrate the settings from one platform to another? 

Thanks

I'll start by saying I don't know, but this is a database driven application so I'm thinking you can just copy the databse from Windows to Linux.

Now I'm guessing you are using some version of Microsoft SQL Server on Windows and Probably MySQL on Linux, so you need to find out where the database is stored on both operating systems, convert the MS SQL database to MySQL, and then copy it over.

You can google the process to convert a MS SQL database to MySQL. Seems like a good place to start while you wait on a real ESET rep to get back to you. Good luck and post here if you find anything out, I'd be interested to know if this is possible.

It is MSSQL on Windows and will be MYSQL on Linux. I am a little weary on manually converting the database as there is no guarantee what I end up with will be 100% correct. Is there any import / export tools in ERA to handle moving the data? Also, what about license keys.. are they in the DB or on disk. I see you can export those; I will definitely export everything I can from the web console to be safe.  

I have the new appliance setup and am ok with some manual work but the certificates really need to be imported though as the agents will not be accepted when I flip the switch on the firewall. There is an option on the certificates to export but low and behold... no import option exists.

How can I get the certificates exported from the Windows server and imported int the OVA appliance version?

Thanks

I wanted to provide an update on this. I have tried to get this to work and haven't been successful yet. The major stumbling block is still the certificates. I can export them from the old system but there is no import to bring them back in. I also can't seem to connect to the mysql instance from a remote system to try a migration of the certificates table; seems like it either is not binding to tcp or a firewall is in the way.

Anyone have any other ideas I can try?

Thanks

• ESET Moderators

Hello,

Import of certificates is a planned feature to the next functional release.

Migration from one database type to another (like from MSSQL to MySQL) is not supported, and there are no plans to support in the near future.

So the easiest way to do this is probably new deployment on Linux or deploying virtual appliance if you use virtualization on your network.

Regards,

P.R.