This website with rare behavior is not detected by Virustotal

john829

Hi,

what happens?

psicologiaymente.com

When I visited the website my RAM reached 100% in a matter of a few seconds and no antivirus engine sees this website as malicious.

An interesting fact is that this attitude occurs only sometimes, as if this malicious behavior is trying to hide itself without attracting attention.

• Administrators

To me the site looks legit and clean, no cpu issues noticed. JavaScript on websites such as Facebook can cause CPU spikes sometimes, it's nothing unusual and not necessarily a sign of infection.

4 hours ago, Marcos said:

To me the site looks legit and clean, no cpu issues noticed. JavaScript on websites such as Facebook can cause CPU spikes sometimes, it's nothing unusual and not necessarily a sign of infection.

without having to download anything, I still get an excess of ram from that website, and a moderate CPU consumption that makes the fans sound like I'm playing a heavy video game. But this weird behavior only happens sometimes, the first thing I think of is illegal cryptocurrency mining but I'm not sure about that.

I asked the website administrator and he didn't give any answer as it is a legitimate website it seems unlikely to be malicious unless it has been hacked and they don't know about it.

Of note;

Most modern browsers allow you to see the CPU/GPU/Memory usage on a per-browser-tab basis.

If your computer is idle, you visit a website and suddenly the fans start spinning and the performance becomes sluggish, it *could* be an indication the website is asking your machine to execute mining or other malicious code.

The problem… you will also get this effect from poorly designed websites. You’ll find many many many poorly designed websites, often the largest names are the worst offenders EG asking your browser to execute tens of thousands of lines of code, to perform extremely rudimentary tasks.

https://www.quora.com/How-can-you-tell-if-a-website-is-a-bitcoin-mining-site-or-something-else

Edited by itman