Agent install ends prematurely and fails

Go to solution Solved by Marcos,

I regularly install the agent using the live agent installer script from ESMC, for some reason today it is failing on multiple systems and multiple networks. I have followed the steps in kb406 and saved the log, it has my ESMC server hostname in it so won't attach to the thread. 

The AIO installer also fails, I tried running the removal tool from safe mode and trying again but have the same issue. I can install EES standalone without a problem. 

The log was taken from a sandbox but I had the issue on two physical machines, brand new PCs which I am setting up. 

Thanks

Of course I mean ESET PROTECT On-Prem rather than ESMC

ESET PROTECT on-prem (Server), Version 11.0 (11.0.199.0)

ESET PROTECT on-prem (Web Console), Version 11.0 (11.0.193.0)

Virtual appliance

• Administrators

Is ESET Endpoint already installed on the machine? If so, did you have also the management agent installed and certain policies were applied to Endpoint? Or is it a machine where you are installing the agent for the first time?

1 hour ago, Marcos said:

Is ESET Endpoint already installed on the machine? If so, did you have also the management agent installed and certain policies were applied to Endpoint? Or is it a machine where you are installing the agent for the first time?

This was a brand new Dell machine with no ESET products installed, I tried the agent installer from ESET PROTECT first which failed, I then tried AIO which failed, I downloaded the GPO config and installed using a fresh agent installer from ESET support and it also failed. 

• Administrators

Please make sure that the Configuration module 2127.2 is installed (Help -> About in ESET PROTECT), then create a new agent installer and try again.

Same issue with new generated installation packages, error win.1603. Agent and also complete packages, agent install script failing...rollback during installation. Former generated packages still working. So seems something with install packages or new versions is corrupt

2 hours ago, Marcos said:

Please make sure that the Configuration module 2127.2 is installed (Help -> About in ESET PROTECT), then create a new agent installer and try again.

It's already installed:

Configuration module 2127.2 (20240607)

• Administrators

When creating a new all-in-one installer, did you include only the management agent or a security product as well? Did you select a parent group?

Even if you didn't select any parent group, please check if you have any policies assigned to "All" or "Lost and found" group. If you temporarily remove them, it's possible that it will work around the issue until the agent msi installers will be re-packed with the latest Configuration module.

34 minutes ago, Marcos said:

When creating a new all-in-one installer, did you include only the management agent or a security product as well? Did you select a parent group?

Even if you didn't select any parent group, please check if you have any policies assigned to "All" or "Lost and found" group. If you temporarily remove them, it's possible that it will work around the issue until the agent msi installers will be re-packed with the latest Configuration module.

I included EES with the AIO installer and I selected a static group. I have no policies assigned to the Lost and Found group, the All group only has the default update policy assigned. 

I just created a new agent installer and selected the All group, ran it and it still fails. 

• Administrators
8 minutes ago, PuterCare said:

I just created a new agent installer and selected the All group, ran it and it still fails. 

That's most likely because of the auto-update policy which is added to the installer in a new format while the agent msi installer contains an older version of the Configuration module that does not understand the new format.

Please try removing the auto-update policy for the "All" group while creating the installer and re-assign it aftewards:

image.png

I just unassigned the update policy from the All group, created a new live agent installer and set the All group as the parent and now it installs ok. Is this a known issue then and do you know if it will be fixed? It will be annoying to have to remove all assigned policies from each static group and recreate each agent. Thanks

Same issue here. We're unable to install the Management Agent on any newly created Agent Installer.

Is this bug confirmed?

• Administrators
15 minutes ago, bix said:

Is this bug confirmed?

It is not a bug but an issue caused by the fact that an older CE module is included in the agent msi installer. We are working on a solution. As a workaround you could temporarily unassign default policies from the "All" group while creating installers.

We're using the static group assignment to differentiate the departments\customers of the devices. Unfortunately termporarily unassign all the assigned hierarchial policies is not really an option.

We're running into the same issue, but we cant disable the policies on "all" to generate the installer, beause we push many standard firewall rules etc. to our customer maschines. disabling them would cause massive problems for us. any ETA on a fix? 

• Administrators
  • Solution

Configuration module 2127.4 has been released for ESET PROTECT which addresses the issue with reading initial agent policies that prevented creation of all-in-one installers. You should be now able to create installers without issues.

On 7/1/2024 at 11:06 AM, Marcos said:

Configuration module 2127.4 has been released for ESET PROTECT which addresses the issue with reading initial agent policies that prevented creation of all-in-one installers. You should be now able to create installers without issues.

Thanks, I can confirm this module is now working.