Eset safe banking & payment protection changed from Firefox to Edge

• Administrators
5 hours ago, AWcz said:

I too  fitefox is my default browser and i lost everything linked to the ecmd start from

"C:\Program Files\ESET\ESET Security\ecmd.exe" /startprotectedbrowser

a great loss also with the passwords

After switching to the pre-prelease update channel in the advanced update setup Firefox should start normally and all your existing profile settings should work like before. Or you can stay with regular updates and wait 1-3 days to get the module fully automatically.

11 hours ago, Marcos said:

After switching to the pre-prelease update channel in the advanced update setup Firefox should start normally and all your existing profile settings should work like before.

No. A new Firefox profile is created for the Secure Browser feature. Ditto when Eset is reinstalled. It has been this way ever since the Secure Browser feature was introduced.

• Administrators
2 minutes ago, itman said:

No. A new Firefox profile is created for the Secure Browser feature. Ditto when Eset is reinstalled. It has been this way ever since the Secure Browser feature was introduced.

Do you mean that you have lost all your Firefox profile settings after the upgrade to version 127.0.1 and even after getting the Banking protection module 1353 the profile was lost and you lost all your bookmarks, etc.?

22 minutes ago, Marcos said:

Do you mean that you have lost all your Firefox profile settings after the upgrade to version 127.0.1 and even after getting the Banking protection module 1353 the profile was lost and you lost all your bookmarks, etc.?

My problems with FF ver. 127.0.1 started when I verified OP's initial posted issue. I opened Secured Browser via desktop icon which resulted in Secure Browser being totally hosed;

1. Secured Browser via desktop option opening Edge.

2. Secure all browsers option not working for any supported browser.

I applied pre-release updates which fixed all the above. First time I opened Secured Browser via desktop, Firefox reverted to default settings indicating a new profile in that mode had been created. My Firefox profile used when Firefox opened via desktop remained unchanged.

Edited by itman

• Administrators

I've made a test as follows:

1. Launched the secure browser via the desktop shortcut
  2. Bookmarked a page in an older version of Firefox
  3. Quit Firefox
  4. Updated Firefox to v127.0.1
  5. Launched the secure browser to make sure that Edge is launched instead
  6. Switched to the pre-release channel to get the Banking protection module 1353
  7. Launched the secure browser

The previously created bookmark was still there so the isolated user profile was not lost when Edge was started instead of Firefox.

15 minutes ago, Marcos said:

Bookmarked a page in an older version of Firefox

"Maybe that is the key" to retaining settings in the Firefox profile used by desktop Secure browser. I don't have any bookmarks set as a rule in that profile.

I really don't understand why Eset just doesn't copy existing Firefox profile to the one setup for desktop Secure browser when Eset is installed.

• Administrators

The desktop shortcut ESET Sage Banking & Browsing opens an isolated browser that uses a new separate user profile for security reasons. This is intended only for online banking and other sensitive financial operations, not for regular browsing. However, those who have a lot of financial sites bookmarks created in the regular browser, they can import them in the isolated browser profile.

After getting the Banking protection module 1353 i have not had any issues with my bookmarks.

My bookmarks in my protected FF browser are different from standard FF browser.

I have noticed that both browsers now show to be protected, they both have the green border and the little logo on the right.

33 minutes ago, Purpleroses said:

Can you still use Firefox without the green border?

Yes. However, this indicates you are running Firefox in non-Secured browser mode.

I am now receiving a crash reporter box when i close FF. If i don't receive the crash reporter box i receive a message that "FF is still running , but is not responding. The old Firefox process must be closed to open a new window." This is happening on 2 computers after getting the Banking protection module 1353 ?? May just be FF, anyone else having this issue ?

39 minutes ago, RMooty said:

This is happening on 2 computers after getting the Banking protection module 1353

So far, no FF issues with Banking protection module 1353 like you're having.

41 minutes ago, RMooty said:

message that "FF is still running , but is not responding. The old Firefox process must be closed to open a new window."

I've seen this message if I open and close FF multiple times in rapid succession. However, FF didn't crash on me, but I just closed the attempted FF startup.

Thanks Itman,

Yes, for some reason it was taking FF up to 1 minute to close, and at times it crashed and sent details to FF on both my laptops. I don't know why but both stopped doing this. I'll take it, LOL.

On 6/20/2024 at 2:40 AM, Marcos said:

The issue is currently being looked into. We'll keep you posted.

P_ESSW-18482

Thank You very much.

23 hours ago, Marcos said:

After switching to the pre-prelease update channel in the advanced update setup Firefox should start normally and all your existing profile settings should work like before. Or you can stay with regular updates and wait 1-3 days to get the module fully automatically.

I will gladly wait for the regular updates in a few days. Thanks again.

On 6/19/2024 at 5:04 PM, RMooty said:

I had firefox set-up with a seperate shortcut icon for the ESET Safe Banking & Browsing app. Had all my important bookmarks entered in it.  My defaut browser is firefox

With the new firefox update today 6/19/2024 versin 127.0.1 the shortcut opens with Edge and there are no bookmarks.

Not sure what to do, I wnt it back like i had it.

Same here! Very frustrating because I could NOT undo the change!

• Administrators
38 minutes ago, BaldFrog said:

Same here! Very frustrating because I could NOT undo the change!

Undoing the change would mean downgrading Firefox to its previous version. You can switch to the pre-release update channel to get the latest Banking protection module 1353 that addresses the issue.

On 6/20/2024 at 10:54 AM, Marcos said:

Please switch to the pre-release update channel in the advanced update setup to get Browser protection module 1353 which addresses the issue or wait a bit until you get it from the regular update channel.

When will 1353 which addresses the issue be in our regular update?  I don't know how to do it except regular updates. Thank you for all your help.

• Administrators
30 minutes ago, CajunRhino said:

When will 1353 which addresses the issue be in our regular update?  I don't know how to do it except regular updates. Thank you for all your help.

It is very likely that you have already received it on the regular update channel.

14 minutes ago, Marcos said:

It is very likely that you have already received it on the regular update channel.

It is still coming up on edge.  The computer is set for all Internet default to "Firefox".  Thanks 

• Administrators

What version of the Banking protection module do you have? 1353 has been on the regular update channel for about 3 hours already so you should have already gotten it automatically.

So should we go back to the regular updates ? 

Also, is anybody else having any issues with links on emails, for me it looks mainly like "Home Depot Daily Deals" emails that i subscribe to. When i click on a link (i use Outlook) it takes me to a fake site or i get a "potentially unwanted content found", a "threat found" from ESET , a fake virus alert that my windows has been locked and eventually a simple "to many requests" This all started with the FireFox update and Edge trying to takeover the protected Browser. I can go to my web-based ATT email and open the emails (which still open in my FireFox browser) , click on links and all is fine.

Any ideas ? I have been dealing with Customer Support most the day and he doesn't think it is a malware issue, told me to start a new case for configuration support.

35 minutes ago, Marcos said:

1353 has been on the regular update channel for about 3 hours already so you should have already gotten it automatically.

I just switched back to regular update channel and its still 1352. I am getting tired of switching back and forth on this issue.

• Administrators
1 hour ago, itman said:

I just switched back to regular update channel and its still 1352. I am getting tired of switching back and forth on this issue.

I'm sorry for the confusion. Based on automated internal notifications I receive 1353 should have been available for a certain period of time after 9:30 PM CEST. The module 1353 has not been fully released yet but it will be within 48 hours. We'll check what was wrong with the internal notifications to avoid confusion in the future. For now, please keep the pre-release updates enabled if you need to use the isolated browser run via the desktop shortcut for banking operation. For regular browsing, use the standard Firefox shortcut.

13 hours ago, Marcos said:

The module 1353 has not been fully released yet but it will be within 48 hours. We'll check what was wrong with the internal notifications to avoid confusion in the future.

I finally received it this morning when Eset updated at first system boot.