Eset safe banking & payment protection changed from Firefox to Edge

Eset safe banking & payment protection changed from Firefox to Edge

i always used Firefox with my bookmarks but today it opened in Edge with no bookmarks.

any ideas how to change back?????

• Administrators

ESET Safe banking & payment protection uses the default system browser as the isolated browser run via the desktop icon. Please change the default browser to Firefox if you want to launch it via the desktop SBPP icon.

I had firefox set-up with a seperate shortcut icon for the ESET Safe Banking & Browsing app. Had all my important bookmarks entered in it.  My defaut browser is firefox

With the new firefox update today 6/19/2024 versin 127.0.1 the shortcut opens with Edge and there are no bookmarks.

Not sure what to do, I wnt it back like i had it.

I have the same problem after installing Firefox 127.0.1 and Firefox IS my default browser.  I went back to 127.0.0 and the safe browser returned to Firefox when opened.  EDGE no longer opens.

1 hour ago, jackster81 said:

I have the same problem after installing Firefox 127.0.1 and Firefox IS my default browser. 

Confirmed.

Worse, what is displayed is some type of Edge setup window which I have never seen before. I had to use Process Explorer to kill Edge running under egui.exe to get rid of the screen;

Eset_Edge.thumb.png.cb9bb6d56ecb516327e964e012b4d6f2.png

Edited by itman

Things got worse.

By disabling Edge as I did above, it appears it hosed all Secure Browser browsing in Eset. When I open Firefox, its not running as a protected browser anymore. System restart didn't help. Looks like I'll have to reinstall Eset to fix this.

I'm also having issues with Firefox that started today. I tried reinstalling Firefox and was still having issues, so I then tried reinstalling Eset, but Firefox still won't launch as a protected browser. When I tried installing the extension for Firefox, it says I don't have an Eset product installed that supports browser protection. I can launch google chrome without issue - and the extension works just fine on google chrome. I'm at a loss on how to fix the Firefox issue. It's my preferred browser, but I don't want to use it if it won't work with Eset.

6 hours ago, Marcos said:

ESET Safe banking & payment protection uses the default system browser as the isolated browser run via the desktop icon. Please change the default browser to Firefox if you want to launch it via the desktop SBPP icon.

Firefox is my default browser (system wide).   @jackster81and @itman both confirmed this issue.   Sounds like something changed with Firefox 127.0.1 and ESET needs to be updated to support that change.  Is this something the developers/support can be contacted about?

Same thing happens for me, just upgraded to Firefox 127.0.1 today.   ESET Safe Banking & Browsing launches Edge instead of Firefox (default browser)

I have the same problems as CajunRhino and if I go back to Firefox 127.0.0 (from 127.0.1) as jackster81 did will I lose all of my open Firefox tabs? I have quite a lot of them right now.

Same for me, since upgrading to Firefox 127.0.1, safe banking and browsing will only run on Edge😠

Hi all,

I updated Firefox to version 127.0.1 yesterday, and since then, I can't see the ESET browser protection icon. Has anyone else experienced this issue? If so, has anyone found a solution? ESET version: 17.1.13.0. Operating System: Windows 11 64 bit Pro, 23H2 build: 22631.3737. Any tips or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Also having this issue this morning. The main issue is that the secure browser uses a different firefox profile, and as others have mentioned all my secure bookmarks are under that profile

I know what the problem is.

I exported Eset settings and "Browserslist" shows Edge instead of Firefox, as prior to ver. 127.0.1 upgrade. So Eset now thinks Edge is the Win default browser. Changing it to Firefox and importing that revision still doesn't work. Eset still believes Edge is the default Win browser.

What I suspect is the Firefox 127.0.1 update somehow screwed up Win internal default setting; perhaps a registry setting. Again in Win Settings - Default browser, it still shows Firefox.

Forget performing Eset reinstall. That doesn't fix the Firefox issue.

Also to clarify, Firefox doesn't open via Eset Secured browser option in any form.

It would be nice if Eset just had an override option where we could pick our preferred browser, then we wouldn't have to worry about other software upgrades breaking it.

• Administrators

Please switch to the pre-release update channel in the advanced update setup to get Browser protection module 1353 which addresses the issue or wait a bit until you get it from the regular update channel.

I did the pre-release update Marcos mentioned above and all looks to be normal again !!

Thanks ESET, Marcos and itman  !!

Have used ESET for 9 years without issue and the 1st issue i have is fixed in 1 day !!  GREAT SERVICE !!

32 minutes ago, RMooty said:

I did the pre-release update Marcos mentioned above and all looks to be normal again !!

Thanks ESET, Marcos and itman  !!

Have used ESET for 9 years without issue and the 1st issue i have is fixed in 1 day !!  GREAT SERVICE !!

+1 me too

I did the pre-release update Marcos mentioned above (although I did have to search in the eset support on how to do that since I could not find it myself) and all looks to be normal again !!  Thanks to Marcos & everyone else!!

For others that need help with how to do it here's the help I found:

https://support.eset.com/en/kb3415-enable-pre-release-updates-in-eset-windows-home-products

This also worked perfectly on my end. please let us know when it should be safe to switch back to the regular releases.

I too  fitefox is my default browser and i lost everything linked to the ecmd start from

"C:\Program Files\ESET\ESET Security\ecmd.exe" /startprotectedbrowser

a great loss also with the passwords

AW Paris

3 hours ago, Marcos said:

Please switch to the pre-release update channel in the advanced update setup to get Browser protection module 1353 which addresses the issue or wait a bit until you get it from the regular update channel.

Is there any estimate to when it'll be available from the regular update channel?

1 hour ago, AWcz said:

I too  fitefox is my default browser and i lost everything linked to the ecmd start from

"C:\Program Files\ESET\ESET Security\ecmd.exe" /startprotectedbrowser

a great loss also with the passwords

AW Paris

Unfortunately when Eset Secure Browser processing re-installs, a new Firefox profile is created.

Assuming that your existing non-Secure Browser Firefox profile contained identical settings, you should be able to copy that into Secure Browser Firefox profile: https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/back-and-restore-information-firefox-profiles .