I just downloaded the new pdf manual, dated 5/30/24. It is 271 pages long. Are we expected to read the entire 271 pages? If so, that will take a week or more. And I find it so overwhelming. I am a complete novice, even though I've had Essential for 2.5 yrs. I'm more confused today than when I first got ESET Essential. I find that the best service I've gotten is with tech when on the phone so they can get into my PC and make corrections.

But even then, there are a whole slew of things that just confuse me and I have no way to figuring out what is wrong.

So, this is simply an introduction from me and hope to be able to figure out stuff and that the manual will be of some assistance.

Comments welcome.

• Administrators

Not sure what manual you mean, the online help is available at https://help.eset.com. However, ESET security products do not require any basic configuration; you just run the installer, enter your subscription or activation key and that's all. ESET will silently work in the background and protect your computer. Only if a threat has been been detected or if an error has occurred, a notification will pop up.

Posted (edited)

The manual ESET just issued 5/30/24. Called: Copyright @2024 by ESET, spol. s.r.o.     ESET Internet Security 17 was developed by ESET, spol. s.r.o.

ESET reserves the right to change....yada yada.

For technical support: https://support.eset.com

Available as a pdf. as: "2024 05 30 ESET internet security v17 enu.pdf"

It is a pdf of 271 pages. More than I can grasp! Way too technical for me.

Your response is far too simple.

My questions are beyond the original installation. They are more about the product. Example: Why so many words to describe a simple A/V for homeowners use? I have "Essential". But the web site calls it ESET Internet Security.

And once the A/V is installed, why don't it look the same as what the web site offers?

And I have many more questions.

Edited by PennsyNut
This is far more complicated than apparent.

• Administrators

If you want to accomplish something specific, you can ask here and we'll provide you with step by step instructions. Otherwise it should be enough that you install ESET and activate it. It will protect your machine without any additional manual configuration.

Marcus. OK. Here's a first question. The first subscription was on 11/6/21. But my subscription page shows activation 6/1/23.

i.e. Is someone trying to tell me something?

On the "main page" when you open ESET before signing in, it shows Essential with 3 devices.

My subscription shows only 1. When I inquired, I was told to call Sales. ?? So I called and they said I could add devices for a fee. Why is my basic subscription not the same as what is offered? The "version" is the same: 17.1.11.0.

Why do they want to charge me to get what I should have received at the beginning?

That's just the first problem.

• Administrators

I was able to find one license for ESET Internet Security for 1 device registered with your email address.  Are you positive that you have purchased a license for 3 devices?

Also ESET HOME correctly shows the license for 1 device:

image.png

15 minutes ago, PennsyNut said:

The first subscription was on 11/6/21. But my subscription page shows activation 6/1/23.

Where are you retrieving your Eset license/subscription info from; Eset U.S. eStore web site or your Eset Home account?

1 hour ago, Marcos said:

I was able to find one license for ESET Internet Security for 1 device registered with your email address.  Are you positive that you have purchased a license for 3 devices?

Also ESET HOME correctly shows the license for 1 device:

image.png

How can I remember that far back? Let's look at it this way. In Nov 2021, I subscribed to ESET to get the A/V. I asked about it, took a free trial. Before that trial was over, I decided it was worth it. And subscribed. So I honestly don't know if it was for 1 or 3 or 10. At that point, all I wanted was a good A/V because the one I had was not good. As for what I bought, what does it matter? If the product offered today as Essential has 3 d3evices, why can't I get 3 devices now? Without having to pay extra?

51 minutes ago, itman said:

Where are you retrieving your Eset license/subscription info from; Eset U.S. eStore web site or your Eset Home account?

Just now, PennsyNut said:

? What do you mean? I don't know anything about eStore. All I know is the home account. And even that, don't show what I thought I had.

• Administrators

There is only one license with the public license ID 3AP-4AW-V23 registered with your forum email address on files. The license was purchased on Oct 31, 2023 and is valid for 1 year and 1 device.

Exactly Marcos. That's what I've been told. And I don't understand why it's only 1. Why wasn't it 3 devices right from the start? That's what they offer on the "opening page of the web site".

i.e. If I were to subscribe today, it would be 3. And if I originally subscribed for 1, why can't I get the additional 2 more? Why would it cost more money?

Posted (edited)
34 minutes ago, PennsyNut said:

And I don't understand why it's only 1.

Refer to the above screen shoting showing your subscription details. Notice that it states "Auto renewal." Assumed is your previous license was for 1 year and one device. When it auto renewed, it was done only for the single existing device license.

Edited by itman

40 minutes ago, Marcos said:

The license was purchased on Oct 31, 2023 and is valid for 1 year and 1 device.

Then why does your screen shot show an expiration date of Dec. 8, 2024? I am again assuming this license was renewed via auto renewal.

39 minutes ago, PennsyNut said:

If I were to subscribe today, it would be 3.

The Eset U.S. web site is defaulting to showing a 3 device license option for purchase. Appears to also to be a promotion going on showing a significant price reduction for the 3 device license option. Normally a 3 device license costs at least $20 more than a single device license.

1 hour ago, itman said:

Then why does your screen shot show an expiration date of Dec. 8, 2024? I am again assuming this license was renewed via auto renewal.

I'm not sure. But I vaguely remember them giving me an extra month for some reason? It still confuses me as to why they show an "activation" date of 6/1/23? What did I activate? The renewal was 11/2/23. And prior to that was 10/15/22.

OK. Here's a what if? or a why not?

Back on 11/6/21 when I first subscribed. What would that have cost me had I chosen 3? And why did no one advise me about 3 devices vs 1?

As for this manual. I don't know why y'all don't know what I'm asking about.

ESETI.S.17UserGuide.jpg.df0a704413a1e4689124326275f31aa7.jpg

ESET I.S. 17 User Guide 2.jpg

ESET I.S. 17 User Guide 2.jpg

I guess I must admit. This is way over my head and probably should just leave well enough alone. Just be glad that ESET A/V is the best on the market and since it's doing the job correctly and I have no complaints about it's functioning.

• Administrators

The license 3AP-4AW-V23 was originally purchased with a different email address (pXXXXXXXt@gmail.com) in 2021 and was renewed in 2022 which is why I didn't initially find it. The last renewal was purchased on Oct 31, 2023 with the expiration on Nov 8, 2024 which was later shifted by a sales agent from ESET LLC to Dec 8, 2024 after changing the email address to oXXXXXXXX1@gmail.com.

image.png

Could you please provide a screenshot of where you are seeing the "activation" date of 6/1/23?

10 hours ago, Marcos said:

The license 3AP-4AW-V23 was originally purchased with a different email address (pXXXXXXXt@gmail.com) in 2021 and was renewed in 2022 which is why I didn't initially find it. The last renewal was purchased on Oct 31, 2023 with the expiration on Nov 8, 2024 which was later shifted by a sales agent from ESET LLC to Dec 8, 2024 after changing the email address to oXXXXXXXX1@gmail.com.

image.png

Could you please provide a screenshot of where you are seeing the "activation" date of 6/1/23?

activation date 06 01 23.jpg

22 hours ago, PennsyNut said:

I just downloaded the new pdf manual, dated 5/30/24. It is 271 pages long. Are we expected to read the entire 271 pages?

The manual as well as the software itself is the most complicated AV on the market right now....

NOD32 has over 150 settings combinations, a regular user will be lost.

Compared to that Trend Micro and Kaspersky are organized in a logical way and easy to understand and set. 

I buy ESET every year on sale (2-5 licensees) but I never use it because of its artificial "sophistication"

1 minute ago, rotaru said:

The manual as well as the software itself is the most complicated AV on the market right now....

NOD32 has over 150 settings combinations, a regular user will be lost.

Compared to that Trend Micro and Kaspersky are organized in a logical way and easy to understand and set. 

I buy ESET every year on sale (2-5 licensees) but I never use it because of its artificial "sophistication"

That's what I said in the beginning of this thread. At first, I had Norton, that came with my first PC in 1900? After one year, I renewed it at the current price at that time. Within a year, I found many other A/V's that worked as well for free. So over the years, I tried just about every A/V there is. None ever worked the way I could truly trust. The last endeavor was of course, Defender. While using Defender, I suddenly got over loaded with email that was junk or spam. And a friend who had ESET, told me of how it told him my email was hacked or ? So he offered to buy my first year of ESET. Instead, I chose to take the 30 day free trial. Within that 30 days, ESET found and eliminated/deleted some 20 or so ? viruses, trojan horses, hacks, etc. So, even before the 30 days were up, I chose to buy ESET Essentials. The price quoted was $59. I don't remember if any .99?

So, when I got an email from ESET verifying my subscription. (Remember at that time, I had not even thought of an A/V for my laptop. And my wife was happy with her ? AVG or Avast?) So I responded to ESET about a discount. Sr Citizen, etc. They responded by only charging $42.49 on 11/6/21. Then when renewing on 10/15/22, they charged me $47.80. Apparently both reductions were for "Sr disc". Finally, on 11/2/23, on renewal they charged $53.11. Now - how they figured those costs did not concern me since they were all lower than $59.99.

On the day I joined this forum and posted. I saw online that ESET Essential was $59.99 and if you clicked a link, could get it for $49+?. I also noticed it said for 3 devices. Then, when I checked my subscription, it showed only 1 device. So you see, I can't make any sense of all that.

As for ESET being a good A/V. There isn't anything better. "Nico knows Tech" and a few other online "gurus" all say so. So for me, ESET is the only way to go. I love it. It has been performing flawlessly for 2.5 yrs now, and I don't want to change.

BUT: This 3 devices vs 1 device is simply aggravating me. I subscribed to Essential and now find out that I should have requested 3 devices. Or what? What did I do wrong? Why can't ESET simply add 2 devices to my subscription - for free - and let me add my laptop and my wife's PC.

As I said, she uses a freebie and I have Defender on my laptop. (The good thing about my laptop is that I can keep it offline and go online only for updates or for a "one time search". I never use the laptop for YouTube or any online site.

Is ESET complicated. YES. But as mentioned, once I have it installed, I need not know anything else.

• Administrators

I have reached out to the ESET LLC (US) support as it appears the license should be indeed for 3 devices. Will let you know when I hear from them.

image.png

21 minutes ago, Marcos said:

I have reached out to the ESET LLC (US) support as it appears the license should be indeed for 3 devices.

This does highlight Eset N.A. marketing practices.

It is not uncommon for them to run promotions periodically such as the one currently underway. These promotions offer significant reductions over normal  Eset license prices. The problem is these promotional prices do not apply to existing license renewals; both manual and auto renewals.

5 minutes ago, itman said:

This does highlight Eset N.A. marketing practices.

It is not uncommon for them to run promotions periodically such as the one currently underway. These promotions offer significant reductions over normal  Eset license prices. The problem is these promotional prices do not apply to existing license renewals; both manual and auto renewals.

So what does this say? That since it is a "promotional price", that it don't apply to ? I'm not asking for a "license renewal" nor "a renewal". I'm only asking for a correction to my subscription that should have been 3 devices. If the current "promotion" is 3 devices, and my subscription has been renewed twice without those 3. Then, something is amiss. So as of right now, I still don't have what I should have had these last 2.5 yrs.

i.e. I'm not asking for a promotional price of $41.99. I'm merely asking for 2 more devices - until 12/8/24, when this renews. At that time, the renewal should reflect those 3 devices and the renewal price "obviously should be determined by ESET at that time". Whether it's $59.99 or $41.99 or a "discounted for Sr Citizen" price.