Controlling product auto-updates

ShaneDT

Posted (edited)

Almost 24 hours now and none of the computers that I applied the Common Features policy to have updated.

I even tried enabling the Force flag around midday and still nothing has updated.

I've applied the policy directly to several computers so it is the last policy being processed so it should be applied, and I've checked there are no other policies now configured with the Auto Updates setting anyway.

So Marcos I don't know why, but it just doesn't work the way you're describing it, if at all.

I'll leave one of these computers on overnight but it looks like I will have to default back to Software Install as the only option that works to control what version my computers are upgraded to. 

Edited by ShaneDT

• Administrators

I've applied an auto-update policy to a client with Endpoint 11.0.2033.0:

image.png

image.png

The update to v11.0.2044.0 was downloaded and was ready to install after the next reboot:

image.png

Not sure what you did differently.

• Administrators

Worked for me with v10 too. Do you update from ESET's servers and product updates are downloaded from ESET's repository?

image.png

7 hours ago, Marcos said:

Do you update from ESET's servers and product updates are downloaded from ESET's repository?

Yes, all default.

Is there any way to run some kind of report to see what the 'merged' policy settings are on a specific computer?

In my 'master' EES policy for all computers I did previously have the Auto Updates setting turned off with the Force flag enabled to make sure these computers didn't update to 11.0.2032. This was flag was changed to 'Not Apply' in the master policy before creating and assigning the Common Features policy. Maybe this force flag disabling auto updates is still applied at the computer level. According to documentation this setting should have been removed from the computers, but maybe it hasn't and is blocking the Auto Update setting from the Common Features policy?

However if I go into Advanced Setup in EES on the actual computers, Product Updates / Auto Updates is showing as enabled.

Posted (edited)

So I tried this on my customer server yesterday also and didn't work (I have two ESET Protect Cloud services, one for my computers and one for my customers computers). In the end I reverted to Software Install tasks as this does work. Took me nearly an hour to create 20+ tasks for each of my customers....

I don't know why this wasn't working, I can only assume since I previously had Auto Updates off with the Force flag in another policy that somehow this was still applying to the computers, even though Auto Updates was showing as On in EES on the computers.

That or it just doesn't work reliably. 

Comes back to my original request. Being able to create a Product Update task specifying what version would be a much simpler way of controlling what updates get installed on what computers when... But ESET doesn't do simple ;)

Edited by ShaneDT

• Administrators

I would recommend raising a support ticket so that a technical support representative can check your customer's cloud instance and find out why the auto-update policy does not work as expected for him.

3 minutes ago, Marcos said:

I would recommend raising a support ticket so that a technical support representative can check your customer's cloud instance and find out why the auto-update policy does not work as expected for him.

I'm an MSP partner, it's my service where I have all my customers licences, as well as my own separate service.

Again though I just need a solution that works. Nothing in this thread even if it did work allows me to control when specific version updates are installed. Only a Client Task will allow me to do this. 

For example when I update customers servers, with Microsoft updates or HP updates or ESET updates, this is ALWAYS done manually afterhours. My customers don't want to be paying me for several hours of my time to sit there and wait for the ESET update to finally deploy. Whereas running it as a Task it happens straight away.

Again there is a Client Task for every other type of update, just not Product Updates.

I really don't understand why you can't see this as a benefit for customers and partners alike.

The existing options to control this are cumbersome and complicated and delayed. 

Doing it via a Client Task is simple and immediate.