Controlling product auto-updates

ShaneDT

Can we have a 'Product Update' option in Tasks.

Currently the only option is 'Software Install' but this requires assigning a license to the task.

So if you have 100 customers you have to create 100 separate tasks to run a product update on all their computers.

There is an option for Modules Update so why no option for Product Update?

It should be exactly the same as 'Software Install' but without the requirement to assign a licence.

Also the "Update ESET Products" option in the Computer Update menu could be a viable alternative but it doesn't allow you to select what version you want to upgrade to, it forces you to upgrade to the latest version, which as we've found out recently is not always a good idea. Changing this so we can select which version to upgrade to would be helpful.

Thanks.

Edited by ShaneDT

33 minutes ago, Marcos said:

While it's possible to use a software install task as well (even without selecting a license), we don't recommend that since a complete uninstallation and installation from scratch this way is prone to potential issues with installation.

Hi Marcos, sure, but Software Install is the only way to control what version the software is updated to.

I assumed "Check for product update" just checks for available updates. So this installs the latest update?

Does this update all installed ESET products including the Agent as well?

Again though I don't want to be installing hundreds of computers with the latest version. I want to be installing the latest version that I HAVE TESTED. I know ESET is generally fairly reliable with their releases but the recent v11 update is reason enough to never trust the latest version of any software.

• Administrators
4 hours ago, ShaneDT said:

Hi Marcos, sure, but Software Install is the only way to control what version the software is updated to.

No. What version Endpoint updates to automatically can be controlled via the auto-update policy:

image.png

If you want to upgrade to a newer version automatically after the release without waiting a few more days until Endpoint upgrades automatically, send a Check for product update task. If a newer version is already available, it will be downloaded and installed after the next reboot or when the user turns on the machine.

Don't remember seeing the 'stop updates at' option in the policy settings. 

I really wish it was possible to export all policy settings to xml or Excel so it was easier to compare policies.

And then have a partner notification anytime a policy setting is added or changed.

There are so many policy settings it literally takes hours to go through and compare when you are supporting multiple customers with multiple settings :(

Anyway I'll have a look at the stop updates at setting. 

The v11 issues I was referring to was the well documented v11.0.2024 I think it was?

I haven't had time to test the latest 2044.

Marcos when I go into policy settings for EES on my ESET Protect Cloud service there is no option for Stop Updates At.

The only option I have is Auto-Updates On/Off.

• Administrators

Moved it to a new topic since the "Futures changes to" topics are intended for reporting wishes but not for discussions.

Could you please check if a "Common features" policy really doesn't contain the "Stop updates at" setting? Could you post a screenshot of the whole screen?

image.png

• Marcos changed the title to Controlling product auto-updates
42 minutes ago, Marcos said:

Moved it to a new topic since the "Futures changes to" topics are intended for reporting wishes but not for discussions.

OK no worries.

42 minutes ago, Marcos said:

Could you please check if a "Common features" policy really doesn't contain the "Stop updates at" setting? Could you post a screenshot of the whole screen?

Yes it is in the Common Features policy. I was looking in ESET Endpoint for Windows policy...

I've never even looked at Common Features policy before. You guys make this stuff so incredibly complicated....

I'll have a look into this and test it in the next couple of days.

• Administrators
12 minutes ago, ShaneDT said:

I've never even looked at Common Features policy before. You guys make this stuff so incredibly complicated....

It's one of very few settings common for all products, hence it's available as a separate "product".

3 minutes ago, Marcos said:

It's one of very few settings common for all products, hence it's available as a separate "product".

lol yeah I get that (now), but why wouldn't you have such a setting in the actual products policy as well? 

Or make it easier to just create a Task to do this as per my original post. Or at least have it as an option for Tasks.

So many ways to do the same thing and they're all different! So over complicated :( 

Marcus so just to confirm.

If I create a Common Features policy with Stop Updates At set to 10.1.2063 for ESET Endpoint for Windows, assign this to all groups with Windows computers, then run the "Check for product update" tasks on these computers, they should all upgrade to 10.1.2063 only, there is no risk of this triggering an update to v11. Correct?

• Administrators
2 hours ago, ShaneDT said:

If I create a Common Features policy with Stop Updates At set to 10.1.2063 for ESET Endpoint for Windows, assign this to all groups with Windows computers, then run the "Check for product update" tasks on these computers, they should all upgrade to 10.1.2063 only, there is no risk of this triggering an update to v11. Correct?

That's correct.

So I tried running this on one of my office computers to test.

When I run the "Check for product update" task I get the error: Managed product is not available.

Doing a quick Google Search, this feature only works on v10.1 and later.

Check for product update | ESET PROTECT On-Prem | ESET Online Help

The clients I'm updating are 10.0.2045 and above. So no help to me in this instance :(

Is the 'Stop updates at' feature also limited to certain product/agent versions or higher?

Also if selecting the Update \ Update ESET Products from the computer task menu, will this comply with the 'Stop updates at' policy?

And is "Check for product update" only supported on Endpoint Antivirus/Security for Windows?

There is no mention in the above Help article for Mac or servers?

8 hours ago, ShaneDT said:

Also if selecting the Update \ Update ESET Products from the computer task menu, will this comply with the 'Stop updates at' policy?

To answer my own question, this goes back to my original request, this option only allows to update to the latest version only.

So going back through all of this, my only option to update from 10.0 versions to 10.1.2063 is to use Software Install.

Frustrating...

• Administrators
2 hours ago, ShaneDT said:

So going back through all of this, my only option to update from 10.0 versions to 10.1.2063 is to use Software Install.

Why? The requirements for "Stop update at" feature are as follows, ie. for Endpoint for Windows it's => v9.0:

image.png

29 minutes ago, Marcos said:

Why? The requirements for "Stop update at" feature are as follows, ie. for Endpoint for Windows it's => v9.0:

Yes, but without being able to run "Check for product update" I can't control when the update gets installed.

• Administrators

What about sending a "Check for product update" task? It should upgrade Endpoint the the highest version allowed by the auto-update policy:

image.png

1 hour ago, Marcos said:

What about sending a "Check for product update" task? It should upgrade Endpoint the the highest version allowed by the auto-update policy:

You didn't read my post above. Check for product update only works on v10.1 and later.

• Administrators

It is not necessary to send a "Check for product update" task. The endpoints will check for module and product updates automatically in 1 hour interval by default and download them, if available and allowed by the auto-update policy.

The "Check for product update" task is useful when an admin wants to force upgrade to the very latest version shortly after the release when throttling is active and upgrade is not offered to everyone instantly.

I tested that last night, left a couple of computers on overnight with this policy applied.

That was a lot longer than 1 hour and still the update didn't install.

Posted (edited)

An aside to the above, I tried running the "Check for product update" task on a computer running EES v11.0.2032 and I get an error: Task type is not supported. Tried googling but nothing came up. Why is this failing? According to documentation this task should be supported on v10.1 and above? Is it not supported on v11?

Edited by ShaneDT

6 hours ago, ShaneDT said:

An aside to the above, I tried running the "Check for product update" task on a computer running EES v11.0.2032 and I get an error: Task type is not supported. Tried googling but nothing came up. Why is this failing? According to documentation this task should be supported on v10.1 and above? Is it not supported on v11?

After a couple of restarts and installing Windows updates, I ran this task again and it reported success, but didn't trigger any update.