OSX/Adware.Genieo.AD

I keep "retaining" this malware on my client's machine via ESET but cannot seem to remove it.  Had the client follow several manual processes for removal with no success.  Is there a reason that ESET cannot block and/or remove this and keep from re-occurring?  Is there a protocol that I can execute to eradicate this from my client's machine for good?  Thank you in advance. 

Is this a Mac PC? Detection name is associated with Mac based adware.

In any case, it's classified as adware;

Adware/Genieo!OSX is classified as a type of adware.

Adware is any software package that automatically displays advertisements while the program is running. Adware is often not malicious, but unwanted, and a user is often unaware of its being installed on the local machine.

The Fortinet Antivirus Analyst Team is constantly updating our descriptions. Please check the FortiGuard Encyclopedia regularly for updates.

https://www.fortiguard.com/encyclopedia/virus/8057659

If Eset is detecting it, there must be a malicious component to the adware.

If the Eset alert occurs when a web site is accessed, assume the adware is being generated from the web site server which Eset doesn't have access to.

On the other hand, this adware can be bundled with other downloaded software. In this case, assume its been installed either stand-alone or within other legit software.

Edited by itman

@Marcos  Here is a screen shot of the ESET record.  If there is something better served to represent this, please let me know and I will provide.  I have a call with my client today to remove this from his Mac device at 10A EST.  Any help that can be provided prior would be most appreciative.   

Screenshot 2024-02-09 at 08.53.51.png

Edited by Scott Crabb
time zone add

• Administrators

I assume that the on-demand scan was either run in scan-only mode or was not run with strict cleaning mode set in the scan profile.