Deslock 5.0 and Intune Wipe / Fresh Start

steve wilson
Go to solution Solved by AAndrejko,

We have some old laptops in a remote office that we don't have the Admin password for Deslock so I can't adopt them and remove the encryption.

If I add them to Intune and do a Fresh Start or Wipe will that remove the encryption?

• ESET Staff
  • Solution
22 minutes ago, steve wilson said:

We have some old laptops in a remote office that we don't have the Admin password for Deslock so I can't adopt them and remove the encryption.

If I add them to Intune and do a Fresh Start or Wipe will that remove the encryption?

Hi @steve wilson

I believe the Intune wipe/fresh start doesn't do a full wipe of the disk, so the likelihood of encryption data being left behind is quite high and might affect encryption starting again or possibly even lead to the system not being able to boot.

I would highly recommend you backup the data of these devices within Windows, then perform a full wipe of the drive. Using a disk part clean would sufficiently wipe the drive and setup the drive correctly to be encrypted again. Really this is the only way to safely setup a device you've lost access to or not able to manage anymore.

However if these are standalone devices you are able to decrypt the system using the user credentials, you just need to run decryption via the recovery tool - https://support.eset.com/en/kb7894-eset-encryption-recovery-utility-diagnostics Then re-installing EEE and setting up again will be easy.

If these were managed devices, the admin password may be the same as other older devices in your estate, so I would recommend you check these too.

Kind regards,

Ashley