Browser search text is jibberish or encrypted

Go to solution Solved by Marcos,

Yesterday I was using my Firefox browser and it wasn't the first time that day as I use my pc a lot when all of a sudden when I went to search for something, my text was not what I was typing. The "ENCRYPTING" box was coming on in the lower right hand corner, something I hadn't seen before. I tried Edge and the same thing happened so I went to my other pc and searched and found the answer and disabled the "keyboard protection" and the problem was fixed. Is this a problem with my ESET app or the browser add on? Is it ok to run with this disabled as the fix?

Thanks,

DB

https://help.eset.com/ees/10.1/en-US/idh_config_sb.html

• Administrators

Please collect logs with ESET Log Colelctor when the browser is running. It sounds like you have another key scrambler installed along with ESET.

I will also add some at wilderssecurity.com in the Eset form section have also posted this same activity recently. Appears to be related to ver. 17.0.16.

I am using Firefox and ver. 17.0.16 and have not seen this issue to date.

4 hours ago, Marcos said:

Please collect logs with ESET Log Colelctor when the browser is running. It sounds like you have another key scrambler installed along with ESET.

I am collecting the logs now. Is it ok to post them here as a reply to this thread? When the problem originally happened I remember I was typing the word "translate" into the Firefox browser search bar and after I got to "trans" the jibberish began. I also think I may have hit one of the keys by accident in the lower left hand corner of my keyboard so I may have hit the Windows Key or a key around there.

Thanks

Edited by Davebert

Marcos,

Here is the collected logs you requested. I hope it helps. Just a note, I have HitmanPro.Alert and Malwarebytes on my pc and I recently upgraded from the regular HitmanPro to the HitmanPro.Alert version.

Thanks

eis_logs.zip

Edited by Davebert

• Administrators
  • Solution

You have both Hitman Pro and MalwareBytes installed. Please try uninstalling Hitman Pro and see if the issue goes away. As for MalwareBytes, make sure to use it only as a second opinion on-demand scanner since all its drivers are installed, including real-time protection.

22 minutes ago, Marcos said:

You have both Hitman Pro and MalwareBytes installed.

HitmanPro Alert has a CryptoGuard feature that encrypts keystrokes. As such, this will most likely conflict with Eset's Secure browser keylogger protection which scrambles keystrokes.

2 hours ago, Marcos said:

You have both Hitman Pro and MalwareBytes installed. Please try uninstalling Hitman Pro and see if the issue goes away. As for MalwareBytes, make sure to use it only as a second opinion on-demand scanner since all its drivers are installed, including real-time protection.

Marcos,

HitmanPro never caused any issues for years I have been running either ESET NOD32 or in the last year upgraded to the ESET Internet Security. I also have been running Malwarebytes for years. So for now I found where I can disable the keyboard encryption feature in HitmanPro Alert and I turned the keyboard encryption back on in ESET Internet Security and so far no issues. I will keep an eye on it and keep you informed.

Thanks

8 hours ago, itman said:

HitmanPro Alert has a CryptoGuard feature that encrypts keystrokes. As such, this will most likely conflict with Eset's Secure browser keylogger protection which scrambles keystrokes.

I think you are right. 😁