Interactive Firewall useless since 16.2

Go to solution Solved by ixtel,

On 9/27/2023 at 12:14 PM, Marcos said:

The issue with duplicate rules has been pinpointed, it lies outside of the firewall.

What do you mean?

When I switch to another firewall they give me no duplicate rules.

I've been struggling with this for a few weeks now. I always use interactive mode because I want to have more control about what goes out and comes in. Since the upgrade I can't connect to my personal VPN unless I set the firewall to Learning mode. When I do and connect to my VPN I get a dozen pop ups saying new rules have been created by the firewall. Then I switch to back to Interactive mode thinking that ESET would remember the rules that it set up by itself and disconnect from my VPN, I can't reconnect!

I checked the firewall rules and there are multiple entries for my VPN service and beside each one a number in parenthesis, which I take to mean that is the number of times the rule has been used. Using Interactive mode is useless because even though I have the firewall exceptions ESET created, I still have to allow multiple popup windows and clicking to make a permanent rule does nothing.

Interactive seems to be a broken mess now and does not remember permanent rules, does not respect rules created by Learning mode and constantly asks for permission for something that has already been allowed.

First picture of the popup is when I changed the firewall to Learning and connected my VPN. I connected and automatically received 12 notifications.

Second picture is the set of rules that were created for the VPN service in Learning mode along with (71). I changed to Interactive mode and can't connect to my VPN. I also receive random popups that a new rule has been created for my VPN, even though it has already been created dozens of times.

ESET has become unusable.

ESET.01.jpg

ESET.02.jpg

• Administrators
8 hours ago, Jsin said:

I checked the firewall rules and there are multiple entries for my VPN service and beside each one a number in parenthesis, which I take to mean that is the number of times the rule has been used. Using Interactive mode is useless because even though I have the firewall exceptions ESET created, I still have to allow multiple popup windows and clicking to make a permanent rule does nothing.

Please provide logs collected with ESET Log Collector so that we can check if the rules are really 100% identical.

also I had never ending issue with Forza horizon 4 and 5. it didn't want to connect until I stopped the firewall or back to older version.  it didn't popup the question for new connection or didn't care about the allow rules already exist. I wanted to burn eset. wasting a lot of my time just trying to play a game. and we have no idea what else did it cause, broken downloads also stopping in the middle, connection reset or timed out for no reason at all.  eset you have days to fix it, we want a beta release of 17 or release it officially right now, don't waste our time with logs, if many ppl complain you do the QA, or pay us to do that gladly we all do, 30$ per hour or more, we have a deal.  "don't break what's not broken and don't ask of the people you sold it to fix it" . please don't break these 2 man laws, which you already broken.

from the post with the VPN I clearly see the rules are exactly the same, no need to ask him, I had the same issue . just roll to older version 16.1.14 and wait for 17 if it's not fixed by then we go to other brand. that simple, I wonder how many people are suffering from this but don't know what the hell is going on. I was so sick of this that I looked google and it took me 2 min to find it

Edited by x7007

6 hours ago, Marcos said:

Please provide logs collected with ESET Log Collector so that we can check if the rules are really 100% identical.

Here are my logs.

I tried downgrading but apparently the older version I found was a live version and only downloaded the most recent version, the one we are all having issues with.

eis_logs.zip

6 hours ago, x7007 said:

pay us to do that gladly we all do, 30$ per hour or more, we have a deal.  "don't break what's not broken and don't ask of the people you sold it to fix it" . please don't break these 2 man laws, which you already broken.

from the post with the VPN I clearly see the rules are exactly the same, no need to ask him, I had the same issue . just roll to older version 16.1.14 and wait for 17 if it's not fixed by then we go to other brand

Agree totally!

Went back to 16.0.26.0.

Work's fine, no duplicate rules as it should be.

17 hours ago, Jsin said:

Since the upgrade I can't connect to my personal VPN unless I set the firewall to Learning mode. When I do and connect to my VPN I get a dozen pop ups saying new rules have been created by the firewall

I am beginning to believe the issue with VPN usage in ver. 16.2 is not the firewall but network connection creation and processing.

In ver. 16.2, firewall profile and the network connection created are synonymous. For example in ver. 16.2, you can't modify settings for any Eset generated network connection other than to specify if it is Public, Private, or Automatic determined.

What I suspect is happening with VPN usage is every tine the VPN is started, Eset is creating a new network connection for it resulting in a new firewall rule being created.

Open Eset Network Connections and see if many connections exist there.

Edited by itman

Continuing my suspicions, I did a bit of research on the Private Internet Access VPN web site.

It uses a TAP adapter: https://www.techradar.com/vpn/what-is-a-tap-adapter . That is a virtual network adapter.

Next and interesting is the way to reset this adapter is via this command;

C:\Program Files\Private Internet Access\pia-service.exe" tap reinstall

All this leads me believe that the issue in Eset ver. 16.2 lies with its network connection processing not properly identifying and setting up the virtual network adapter connection.

21 hours ago, itman said:

Continuing my suspicions, I did a bit of research on the Private Internet Access VPN web site.

It uses a TAP adapter: https://www.techradar.com/vpn/what-is-a-tap-adapter . That is a virtual network adapter.

Next and interesting is the way to reset this adapter is via this command;

C:\Program Files\Private Internet Access\pia-service.exe" tap reinstall

All this leads me believe that the issue in Eset ver. 16.2 lies with its network connection processing not properly identifying and setting up the virtual network adapter connection.

I agree with you. Since this version update I have had continued VPN issues. PIA actually has 3 adapters, TAP, WinTUN and Split Tunnel Filter.

I had to do a complete reinstall of Windows 11 today and of course I have not heard back from ESET support regarding my OEM license key which is NOT WORKING!

Every single step is excruciatingly painful.

So I'm going to have to unplug my computer from the internet now otherwise I'll just sit here completely unprotected OR buy ANOTHER license.

Edited by Jsin

2 hours ago, Jsin said:

So I'm going to have to unplug my computer from the internet now otherwise I'll just sit here completely unprotected OR buy ANOTHER license.

Microsoft Defender/Win firewall will be your real-time protection until Eset is installed again.

BTW - what do you mean by Eset OEM license key? Was Eset installed by the computer manufacturer?

Edited by itman

14 hours ago, x7007 said:

eset we need eta for a fix.

DESPERATELY!

Now I am wondering if this also affects ESET for business? My employer uses ESET Protect to roll out ESET antivirus and firewall installations and policies for over 350 stores we own as well as all corporate offices around the U.S. and every employee.

This could be a HUGE issue if other ESET products are using the same policy handling.

While I have admin access to our corporate ESET dashboard, I think I need to reach out to our corporate IT admins and let them know about this. They may want to do some testing in the lab.

Please fix this ESET!

14 hours ago, itman said:

Microsoft Defender/Win firewall will be your real-time protection until Eset is installed again.

BTW - what do you mean by Eset OEM license key? Was Eset installed by the computer manufacturer?

They are being used by default, but I refuse to put any confidence in Microsoft antivirus or firewall.

I bought my license keys for both my PC and Android phone from an OEM reseller. I've used them for years and never had an issue. But I'm now having issues with reinstalling and using the license because ESET seems to now be trying to force using ESET Home for license management and renewals.

43 minutes ago, Jsin said:

But I'm now having issues with reinstalling and using the license because ESET seems to now be trying to force using ESET Home for license management and renewals.

I never had an issue using my existing Eset license key  to activate Eset.

Last year, my boot drive crashed causing a full install of Win 10 on the replacement drive. I installed Eset on the replacement drive using my existing license key w/o issue. Of note was this was a single seat license. Also, my Eset license was purchased from the Eset U.S. eStore web site.

Appears you will have to resolve this existing license issue with the third party reseller from where you purchased the license from.

I've reached out twice to support and contact us feature and haven't heard anything all weekend.

The license is for 3 years on 1 PC and was valid till 2026. I ended up reinstalling Windows 11 fresh Saturday and the license keeps giving me errors. I can't paste the license key or add it to my ESET Home account.  It keeps saying it is part of another account.  So frustrating because I love ESET and have been using them forever now.

11 minutes ago, Jsin said:

I've reached out twice to support and contact us feature and haven't heard anything all weekend.

If you tired to contact Eset North America support, their business hours are Mon. - Fri. between 6AM and 5PM PST.

You should be able to contact them now via LiveChat: https://helpus.eset.com/?chat=support&intcmp=btn-chat-home

please leave this topic for the issue in hand. don't post about license issues, anything similar to the issue in the topic so they fix it asap

2 hours ago, Jsin said:

They are being used by default, but I refuse to put any confidence in Microsoft antivirus or firewall.

The important point is this. If your VPN works w/o issue using the Win firewall exclusively, we have definitive proof that Eset ver. 16.2 network processing is the issue.

Also after installing Private Internet Access VPN, closely exam Win Firewall inbound/outbound rules for any new rules created in regards to it. Those rules can be used later for reference when Eset is reinstalled.

Edited by itman

1 hour ago, itman said:

If you tired to contact Eset North America support, their business hours are Mon. - Fri. between 6AM and 5PM PST.

You should be able to contact them now via LiveChat: https://helpus.eset.com/?chat=support&intcmp=btn-chat-home

Thank you for the link. I did not see a chat option.

1 hour ago, itman said:

The important point is this. If your VPN works w/o issue using the Win firewall exclusively, we have definitive proof that Eset ver. 16.2 network processing is the issue.

Also after installing Private Internet Access VPN, closely exam Win Firewall inbound/outbound rules for any new rules created in regards to it. Those rules can be used later for reference when Eset is reinstalled.

1 hour ago, x7007 said:

please leave this topic for the issue in hand. don't post about license issues, anything similar to the issue in the topic so they fix it asap

Understood.

1 hour ago, itman said:

Since I haven't been able to use ESET I noticed that my VPN speed has also doubled. I hope this gets resolved soon.

Are the developers aware of the dysfunctionality they introduced? Do they understand that when I set in "interactive mode" once "no" that it always means "no"?

No means no and don't ask me every freaking day over again and again!

"Interactive mode" does not mean that I get entertained every day by being asked the same dumb question over and over again!

(My late grandfather was capable of that because he had Alzheimer's.)

Do to ESET developers suffer from that?

Are the developers aware that this needs to be fixed a.s.a.p to work again like in previous versions?

Or are the developers interested in sabotaging the company they work for driving all eventually out of business?

If this is not fixed soon I will have to look for another solution and also advise all my clients of such as I'm getting increasingly complaints from my clients about this persistent newly introduced service defects.

If ESET developers still don't understand it, perhaps this analogy helps:

Would they like to have an "interactive mode" car that every time in the morning when you want to start it asks you a litany of questions if you really want to start the car and why do you want to start the car etc.? Unless you answer all you cannot start the car.
Although you can set your answers in "interactive mode" as being permanently stored so you won't ask you anymore it will continue to ask you every morning and every time you want to start the car the same routine of questions again which you have to answer so that you can actually start your car and continue!

How long would you put up with this?

"Verschlimmbessern"! Don't fix things that don't need fixing neither constantly improve something nobody asked for and that's working, all to a point where it's useless!

ESET interactive mode ignoring (PPPED).jpg

ESET interactive mode ignoring (Nvidia).jpg

Edited by Joe S

• Administrators

As I have already stated, we were able to reproduce it with a Lenovo tool. The issue lies outside of the firewall in anti-stealth and is currently being looked into.

On 10/3/2023 at 11:52 PM, Marcos said:

As I have already stated, we were able to reproduce it with a Lenovo tool. The issue lies outside of the firewall in anti-stealth and is currently being looked into.

How about you properly test your forced updates with that lenovo tool before you release them on a non-beta channel? The way you've handled this entire situation is unacceptable. This should've been rolled back the moment there was an issue and then take your sweet time while it's "looked into" not on the customer's payroll.

don't understand why there is no way to roll back option. what kind of update do you make. are you starting to become Microsoft?

so many issues it caused me until I understand it's the eset firewall. as soon as I disabled the firewall protection everything worked.