After Upgrading ESET Endpoint Security to 10.1.2046.0 Firewall and Web Control is not functional. Recommended Restarts do not solve the issue

ChrisTurk

Hi,

After Upgrading from ESET Endpoint Security 10.0.2045.0 to  ESET Endpoint Security 10.1.2046.0 the Firewall and Webcontrol do not work.
The GUI on the Client asks for a Restart. Then i restart the machine, after the restart and userlogin, it seems to work, but 5 minutes in the session the Error "Firewall non-functional" or "Web control non-functional" are being displayed, recommending another restart. Restarting again is also not solving the issue. 

Desinstallation and a fresh Installation of ESET Endpoint Security 10.1.2046.0 did not solve the problem.

Thanks in Advance 

Christoph Türke

• Administrators

Please carry on as follows:

1. Enable advanced logging under Help and support -> Technical support
  2. Reboot the machine
  3. Stop logging
  4. Collect logs with ESET Log Collector and upload the generated archive here (only the ESET staff can access attachments). If the archive is too big to upload here, upload it to a file sharing service and drop me a private message with a download link.

• Administrators

It appears that ekrn is crashing. Please make sure that ESET is configured to generated full dumps (advanced setup -> Tools -> Diagnostics), then start ekrn by running "net start ekrn" as an administrator.

image.png

Then watch "C:\ProgramData\ESET\ESET Security\Diagnostics" until ekrn*.dmp file with a non-zero size is created and supply it to me then.

Hi,

So i restarted the Machine, changed the dump type to Full, Started CMD as Administrator and typed "net start ekrn" then i got the Messagt "Der angeforderte Dienst wurde bereits gestartet" "the service is already started" NET HELPMSG 2182

In the Dump Directory, no .dmp oder .mdmp file with a non-zero size is created. 

Also the GUI wont show the Logging as enabled even tho i get the pop up message that the logs are running.

• Administrators
34 minutes ago, ChrisTurk said:

Started CMD as Administrator and typed "net start ekrn" then i got the Messagt "Der angeforderte Dienst wurde bereits gestartet" "the service is already started" NET HELPMSG 2182

Did you do this when the protection status was reporting "Firewall non-functional" ?

• Administrators

Please carry on as follows:

- download Procdump from https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/procdump
- temporarily disable Protected service in the advanced setup -> HIPS
- reboot the machine
- run Procdump as an administrator as follows:
procdump -ma -e ekrn.exe
- wait until ekrn crashes and a dump is generated
- compress the dump, upload it to a safe location and drop me a download link
- re-enable Protected service and reboot the machine.

Dear All,

we have the same problem since we upgraded to the new version 10.1.2046.0. In the meantime, we were able to determine that the error appears on clients, when they are connected to the Internet via GSM module. 

Maybe the input helps to further localize the error.

Best regards,
Florian

• Administrators
2 minutes ago, Florian Stricker said:

we have the same problem since we upgraded to the new version 10.1.2046.0. In the meantime, we were able to determine that the error appears on clients, when they are connected to the Internet via GSM module.

Please provide logs collected with ESET Log Collector for perusal.

34 minutes ago, Florian Stricker said:

Dear All,

Maybe the input helps to further localize the error.

Best regards,
Florian

I can confirm that. Disabling the GSM module does help! With the GSM Module disabled the Logging also works as expected.

Turning it on again does reproduce the issue after a restart.

2 hours ago, Marcos said:

Please supply a dump of ekrn created by following the instructions above.

Here is a link to full logs and dump from a notebook, which was connected via GSM-module, when the error appears.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/n56x2v5t064wf1u/AACDkNNTH0cKvQplpTRagYG7a?dl=0

Best regards,
Florian

• Administrators

How was the dump created? Couldn't it be that you clicked the "Create" button? Asking since it doesn't seem to be from a crash.

image.png