Buying NOD32 on sale a year before current license expires?

mrvivona
Go to solution Solved by rugk,

I am currently running NOD32 V7. I have a chance to buy NOD32 2015 at a substantial discount right now, but my current license doesn't expire until December 2015. Can I just hang on to the new software (or the downloaded file) and not install it until a year from now instead of renewing my current license at that time?

Also, what is the difference between NOD32 V7, NOD32 V8 and NOD32 2015?

Edited by mrvivona

NOD32 v8 is exactly the same as NOD32 2015 (you could call "2015" a "marketing name" for v8).

NOD32 v7 is the version before v8, but I suggest you to use the newest version 8. Of course you can upgrade to the newest version (or even downgrade to an older version) as long as your license is valid.

About the "hanging on" of the license. Normally you can't but you could try to contact the customer care in your country and ask them polity whether they could do that. (because he is using a boxed version he can do it, see later posts)

Also you have to keep in mind, if you buy in an online shop you normally receive an email with a username/password. In this case the license you bought directly starts to expire, so you can't "store" your license and use it later.

However if you buy it in an "offline shop" you n ormally get an activation key that you can use at any time. This key you can "store" and activate it later. When activated you will also receive a username/password and the license starts to expire.

Edited by rugk

I am buying from NewEgg, an online store. The product is in retail packaging and will come via shipping, not download. In this case, is the license activated upon installation and first registration, even if a year later, or is it still activated via an email from NewEgg?

Edited by mrvivona

Ahh so it is a boxed version?

It is OK to link to it if you like.

AFAIK no boxed versions are activated or gets activated upon "check out" during online purchase. They have to be activated once you get the package. 

But don't hold me to these words, it's just what I think I am not 100% sure so you might want to wait for confirmation from someone that knows for sure.  :)

You should be fine.  The licenses on the retailed box package versions do not "expire,"1 but are activated when you first enter the activation code from the software to register it.

1At least in North America.  How retailed boxed packages in other regions are handled may vary.

https://forum.eset.com/topic/889-how-long-are-nod32-licenses-good-for/?p=4630

As I mentioned before, though, it should work, as the back-end to that page recognizes serials and activation keys from all sorts of old versions.  But, if that were to change in the future for some reason, a call to Customer Service would get things straightened out.

https://forum.eset.com/topic/889-how-long-are-nod32-licenses-good-for/?p=4682

I believe you are good to go :)

Thanks for the links to the similar discussion from last year. I had tried searching the forum for such a discussion, but sometimes the keywords to use are not obvious and the ones I did use did not give me what I wanted. I know that worst-case I would be out the $3,99 shipping cost, but it does look like all I will have to do is wait until my current license expires in Dec 2015 and install the year-old unopened NOD32 2015 version and activate it using the information in the retail box. I don't know if it will cause any issues if I use the same email for both licenses, but it shouldn't since that would be the case if I had bought new retail boxes each year.

• Solution

You should be able to use the same email address.

Another topic with more information:

When Is A License Deemed Active (And Count-Down Begins)?

I also updated my post there with a screenshot. Here is the same screenshot:

post-3952-0-57821600-1417276306_thumb.png
Edited by rugk