When Is A License Deemed Active (And Count-Down Begins)?

kllwk1

I recently purchased ESET Smart Security 3 license pack (for 2 years) and would like to find out the following:

1. Does the license activated (and count-down begins) at the point of installation/activation of the software?

2. Or the license is activated (and count-down begins)  right after payment has gone through?

Reason for asking is that my new PC is being built and I am not able to immediately install and use the software. I am concerned that the clock may already be ticking and I am losing out.

AFAIK it is this way:

• If you bought the download version (e.g. from the ESET online shop) and got a license mail with username/password the "count-down" begins directly after buying.
  • If you bought a physically disk (and only a physically disk!), don't received any license mail and only have an activation code (not a username/password!) then the count-down begins when you entered your activation code (where it will "converted" into a username/password). This can happen if you e.g. bought it in a physical store.

Edit: Here a screenshot of the activation window, where you will see the differences too:

post-3952-0-57821600-1417276306_thumb.png

Edited by rugk

AFAIK rugk is right.

I just wanted to say that this part "right after payment has gone through".....

Sounds very much like an online transaction to me, meaning the license is ticking down as we speak.

Edited by SweX

Well if it sounds like this, ok then for him the first applies.

But of course I also want to give an explanation for the people that find this topic from Google or so... :)

Edited by rugk

Well if it sounds like this, ok then for him the first applies.

Well i'm not sure. But yeah it sounds like it, and it's not the sound TS wanted to hear I think. ;) But we'll see what TS says if TS comes back.

• 2 weeks later...

I can verify that if you purchase a physical/boxed copy of an ESET product, the license period begins when you register the software during installation.

This is designed so that retailers and resellers can stock the products.

I have purchased about 20 boxed copies of various ESET products from online retailers in the last 1.75 years, and I resell them to my customers.

I have also purchased the download version, but I can't comment on whether the license period starts at purchase or at software installation when you first activate the product.  I've always installed and activated immediately.