Can't activate trial

hello

Hello installed Eset Nod32 AV  version 16.0 trial to test, because I need good AV for Win7 Machine and I will never update to Win10 or Win11 because I see them in action on my friend new computer and they are ultra slow compared to my old Win7 PC, sorry for Micro$oft, this is true 😞

And my problem is that trial activation is stuck on Verification. Eset did not ask me for email or anything. I'm using Fort Firewall to control Windows Firewall and I add allow rules for

C:\program files\eset\eset security\egui.exe

C:\program files\eset\eset security\ekrn.exe

And nothing, also after reboot. Disable firewall filtering did not help.

I was not used any cracks or trial resetters. This was first install on my system. Before I was using GDATA trial. Fully uninstalled with Revo Uninstaller.

After fail to install Nod32 v16 I was trying to install Nod32 v9 also trial activation fails

I asked as guest here: https://forum.eset.com/topic/36512-cant-activate-trial/ (you delete it)

Marcos

Group: Administrators

Posted 4 hours ago

Please provide logs collected with ESET Log Collector as well as a Wireshark pcap log from a failed activation attempt.

I uploaded it here

(also tried Log Collector with 64 bit sysinspector)

eav_logs.zip eav_logs_64.zip wireshark.zip

• Administrators

The pcap log doesn't seem to be from an activation attempt. The only communication logged was with ESET's EPNS servers. There was no DNS communication nor TLS communication with activation servers. Are you certain that you started logging with Wireshark and then attempted to activate ESET? Could you try to create one more pcap log?

Hello. I captured again

(run wireshark -> select connection name -> capture->start  then run trial activation yes?)

And I was waiting about 3 minutes.

Edit after 7 min  Still is "Verify"

wireshark.zip

Edited by hello

Also tried without any additional firewall control apps, and with another (Windows Firewall Controll)

And I don't think something is blocking. Internet work as usual on Firefox, and some online games also works.

While capturing browser or any other software was not running. Is my last capture good or should I try capture more (I'm not computer expert)

Btw. I installed Eset with offline installer with disabled cable during install.

Edited by hello

1 hour ago, hello said:

Btw. I installed Eset with offline installer with disabled cable during install.

Well, this explains why the trial license won't activate. Your Eset installation needs to connect to Eset license verification servers in order to activate the trial license.

In installer was option "skip activation" or something.

Program install well and then I connected cable.  Activation not work when PC is online.

It is good  thing that Eset have offline installer, bocause it is good to install antivirus software offline

Edited by hello

8 hours ago, hello said:

Eset did not ask me for email or anything.

Refer to this;

To evaluate ESET Internet Security before making a purchase, select Free trial. Type your email address and country to activate ESET Internet Security for a limited time. Your trial license will be emailed to you. Trial licenses can only be activated once per customer.

https://help.eset.com/eis/16.0/en-US/idh_wizard_activation_type.html

Check your e-mail for mail from Eset.

Edited by itman

I think You don't understand me:

In version 16 when I select "Free trial" there is only screen with text "Verifing..." and it is loading something forever.

After that program return to window with "select free trial" option.

When I installed older version 9 program just not reacted when I click "free trial"

Also not activated.

Edited by hello

10 minutes ago, hello said:

In version 16 when I select "Free trial" there is only screen with text "Verifing..." and it is loading something forever.

Uninstall all the third product firewall products you are using so that the Win firewall is the only active firewall. Then try to activate Eset again.

They are not real firewalls, only tray controllers for Windows Firewall. I was trying even with Windows firewall completely disabled...

Hello again. I used this tool and reinstall Eset (also offline installer) and and also activate trial not work.

But finally trial was activated.

Why? Because just try to run egui.exe as admininstartor.

Antivirus GUI has no permission to do anything by default on standard user account

Btw. I'm using  opensource tool called Surun to make life easier. (https://sourceforge.net/projects/surun/)

And now I can set up Surun to remember that egui.exe should run with admin rights. Without that I can't change any settings. Do you have any knowledge about Eset compatibility problems with Surun? Or any suggestions problems when using standard account?

25 minutes ago, hello said:

But finally trial was activated.

Why? Because just try to run egui.exe as admininstartor.

Antivirus GUI has no permission to do anything by default on standard user account

Errr ........... I would think it is obvious that to install AV software, you need to be running on the limited admin account.

• Administrators

Also clicking "Free trial" requires elevated administrator rights and the UAC window pops up:

image.png

image.png

Selecting Yes opens a registration form:

image.png

The ELC logs that you provided were collected by running ELC with elevated administrator permission, there was no sign of running the tool as a standard user.

OK. Now I think Eset & Surun are not fully compatible. Now after successful trial activate:
when I click any option It show me Surun Window not UAC, trying to run eeclnt.exe
but after that nothing happened.

I tried to:

1. Add eeclnt.exe to Surun list of automatic admin programs
2. add Surun to exclusions in Eset
3. Add eeclnt.exe and other eset executables to Surun blacklist (programs that Surun will ignore)

And my final solutions to be able to modify Eset settings from standard account is:

add task in task scheduler with settings
program: surun
arguments: "C:\Program Files\ESET\ESET Security\ecmds.exe" /run /hide /proxy
and start-up every login with 10s delay

Edited by hello

13 hours ago, Marcos said:

The ESET Log Collector logs that you provided were collected by running ESET Log Collector with elevated administrator permission, there was no sign of running the tool as a standard user.

Strange. I was running standard user as every day. And Eset gui was started by default autostart entry, and it doesn't show me UAC window, also as I descibed I'm using Surun, it's window also does not shows when I was clicking activate trial.

Edited by hello

1 hour ago, hello said:

and it doesn't show me UAC window,

You don't need admin privileges to access the Eset GUI. However, access/modification of select Eset settings in the GUI require admin privileges.

The only way to fully prevent access to Eset GUI is to password protect it.

Edited by itman

Ok. Maybe  I have something other broken in system 🙂

The fact is that when I was few first times trying to activate trial there was only Eset screen called "Veryfing" and loading circle.  No e-mail ask Window, No UAC, no Surun Window, after about 10 mins return to main window.

3 hours ago, Marcos said:

I've installed Surun and tried to change the license under a standard user account.

And when you for example run Eset gui as default (standard user) and try to modify some settings, for example disable e-mail protection is Surun working for you?
For me it just show window Surun running  eeclnt.exe, I click ok. and in GUI nothing  change

When I run Eset GUI through Surun it's working well.

Also checked something different:

I tried to add exceptions when gui ruinning without admin rights.

I get Surun Window, write password, click ok. and get this:

err.jpg

Translated: Advanced Settings. Error occurred while saving . Make sure You have permission to change settings.

I just discovered some entries in Eset HIPS log that it is blocking Surun... So I disabled HIPS, reboot... and when I try to save settings this strange error appear (just after Surun error)

err2.jpg

So it is probably not caused by HIPS...

And as I write before:  after I run this command I can save settings:

surun "C:\Program Files\ESET\ESET Security\ecmds.exe" /run /hide /proxy

(just discovered that when HIPS is disabled it is little more to do because I must manually kill egui.exe from task manager before run this command)