SysRescue on multiboot flash drive

Hi,

I'm trying to put SysRescue on a multiboot flash drive.  Like this: A FOB STORY: some notes on bootable flash drives

I use grub2, and the easiest way to handle multiboot is to loop-mount ISOs and boot them.  That way each "distro" is isolated.  Extracting the ISO contents to the flash drive would just make a mess - with many conflicting file names, since several are Ubuntu-based.

I can boot SysRescue part way with the boot stanza below, but it eventually fails and drops into a busy-box prompt.

menuentry "Try ESET ISO" {
    set isofile="/ISO/eset-sysrescue.1.0.9.0.enu.iso"
    loopback loop $isofile
    linux (loop)/casper/vmlinuz boot=casper iso-scan/filename=$isofile quiet splash --
    initrd (loop)/casper/initrd.lz
}

I can make it work if I extract "casper" from the ISO and place a copy of it and the contained squashfs files in the root of the flash drive:  /casper/*squashfs (the 6 squash files).  initrd.lz and vmlinux are not required.

My WAG is that there is a hard-coded path somewhere that expects those squashfs files to be in  /casper/ and can't find them in the loop-mounted ISO.

I've looked in the visible files (outside vmlinuz and initrd.lz) and don't find a path that I can change.  Anyone know if I'm on the right track, and if so where those paths are located?  Or if I'm just missing the obvious...  For reasons stated above, keeping copies of the squashfs files "in the clear" in /casper/ isn't a good option due to conflicts with other distros (some of which also won't loop-mount and boot...)

A multi-boot drive is very useful in the field for forensics, recovery, repair, and de-lousing.  I'd love to add SysRescue to the "swiss army fob"

Thanks and regards,

Z.

• 2 weeks later...

At first are I'm right that you try to put ESET SysRescue Live on this multiboot USB?

Because there is also a rescue system from ESET called "ESET SysRescue" (without "Live"), which is similar to ESET SysRescue Live, but it's Windows based and included in ESS/NOD32 and not available as a standalone tool.

Edited by rugk