SLIC Toolkit False Positive

Super_Spartan

Kindly remove this as a detection. I use it since years to view what SLIC certificate is in the BIOS of a laptop. It's safe by many of the big AVs just detected as a thread by NOD32, this is probably the first FP I've seen from NOD32:

https://www.virustotal.com/en/file/f94c163d21bb8c5318832fb629b0362bdef6a8327349fa1f8ae4e0234ba47230/analysis/

• Administrators

The detection is correct: Win32/HackTool.SLICMod.C potentially unsafe application. This detection is disabled by default in all ESET products and it's at users' discretion whether they want to have them detected or not. Also it's possible to exclude a particular pot. unsafe application from detection directly from the yellow warning window.

but how is it unsafe when it's a very old tool used to view the SLIC certificate of the BIOS?

For example, back in the days of Vista and when first Windows 7 was released, one had to check if his laptop's `SLIC certificate ws 2.0 or 2.1 so if it was 2.0, he would neet to update his BIOS to have SLIC 2.1 in order to do OEM activation otherwise it would feel as the SLIC certificate 2.0 ws for Vista and 2.1 for Windows 7?

Also, if the big sharks like Kaspersky and Bitdefender don't detect it, doesn't that mean something?

potentially unsafe

It may or may not be, in the wrong hands, unsafe, in a controlled environment, it may be safe.

Since we can't predict the outcome, it is labeled potentially, and entered into said database.

The detection of unsafe can still always be turned off to use such utilities. :)

potentially unsafe

It may or may not be, in the wrong hands, unsafe, in a controlled environment, it may be safe.

Since we can't predict the outcome, it is labeled potentially, and entered into said database.

The detection of unsafe can still always be turned off to use such utilities. :)

Yep turned off, or use exclusions.

Don't wanna turn off PUP detections it's good. Just wanted to fix this because adding exclusions means I need to add it to 3 locations, my main driver and 2 other backup drives. Since I format a lot, it's a pain so I wanted it fixed.