mirror location policy for both endpoing v9 and v10

Hi:

the endpoint version is jumping so fast from v7 to v10.  Every time when I upgrade client version, I need to set the mirror location at policy like "hxxp://nod32.example.com/nod32-update/eset_upd/ep9"

now I need to upgrade win10/w11 client to endpoint v10. but v10 won't support win7 anymore, so win7 should stay at v9.

now I need two mirror locations "ep10" and "ep9" for win10/11 and win7.  I wish I can use some macro at policy like "hxxp://nod32.example.com/nod32-update/eset_upd/${current_version}".  (like auto update via eset server there is no need to setup version)

if the marco is not possible, I know that ep7-ep10 mirror contents seems forward compatible  but  there is no document about these. is it safe to set the mirror location to "hxxp://nod32.example.com/nod32-update/eset_upd/ep9" for both endpoint v9 and v10 forever?

the last thing I want to do is setup different mirror location policy for each endpoint client. hope I don't need to do it.

• Administrators

Modules are same for all Windows products, the only difference is between Endpoint v6.5 and older and Endpoint 6.6 and newer. That said, you can update Endpoint 6.6 and newer from the v10 mirror folder.

Anyways, rather then using a mirror we strongly recommend using ESET HTTP proxy to cache downloaded files if the machines are not completely offline and have access to a machine with Internet connection at least. This would enable them to take advantage of both LiveGrid and streamed updates every few minutes. It would also save the traffic since only files actually needed by clients would be downloaded and cached whereas the mirror downloads a lot of unnecessary files not needed by clients with each update.

2 minutes ago, Marcos said:

Modules are same for all Windows products, the only difference is between Endpoint v6.5 and older and Endpoint 6.6 and newer. That said, you can update Endpoint 6.6 and newer from the v10 mirror folder.

I don't understand. for example, the ep10 mirror size is smaller than ep7. I thought that is because ep7 is older and need more update components. if client 6.6 and newer can use ep10 mirror, then why should we mirror ep7-ep9?

On 1/17/2023 at 3:09 PM, Marcos said:

Modules are same for all Windows products, the only difference is between Endpoint v6.5 and older and Endpoint 6.6 and newer. That said, you can update Endpoint 6.6 and newer from the v10 mirror folder..

is there new idea about the problem? or should I create a support ticket?

• Administrators

V10 users more modules, such as the Secure browser module, however, older versions that do not have the Secure browser feature will simply not update this module from a mirror if they update from the v10 folder.

On 1/23/2023 at 8:56 PM, Marcos said:

V10 users more modules, such as the Secure browser module, however, older versions that do not have the Secure browser feature will simply not update this module from a mirror if they update from the v10 folder.

I really like to set both v9 and v10 endpoint to v10 mirror. but you didn't answer the question that v9 mirror size is much larger than v10.  so there must be something strange. if v7-v10 can use the smaller v10 mirror, why Eset produce the larger old mirror? is there some old versions need the old mirror?

On 1/23/2023 at 8:14 PM, tbsky said:

is there new idea about the problem? or should I create a support ticket?

I create a support ticket from https://www.eset.com/int/support/contact/

but I didn't get any response or any ticket number. is that a correct place to create ticket?

11 hours ago, Marcos said:

Did you receive a confirmation email with a ticket number after opening a ticket with tech support?

no, I got nothing. so I think I need to create it again?

• Administrators
1 hour ago, tbsky said:

no, I got nothing. so I think I need to create it again?

Yes, try again please. Did you use your forum email address when creating the ticket?

10 minutes ago, Marcos said:

Yes, try again please. Did you use your forum email address when creating the ticket?

yes. I use the forum email address. I will try again later. thanks a lot for your help!!

21 hours ago, Marcos said:

Hi:

I try again and still get no response. I change to another email address and this time I get a reply email with ticket number soon. so there is something wrong between Eset support and Gmail. with the same gmail address I can receive "ESET Knowledgebase Support News". the News mail is from "feedpress@newsletter.feedpress.com". and the support notice mail is from "support@version-2.hk". maybe the location I select is the issue.

• Administrators

I've learned that Version 2, your local ESET distributor, doesn't use a system integrated with ESET's global ticketing system which is why we could not find your email there. That said, the problem with receiving a confirmation email at your Gmail address would need to be investigated by Version 2.

I'll try to prepare an environment for testing mirror updates and to compare the size of folders, however, since it may take some time, the best course of action would be creating a support ticket so that the case is tracked in the system.

13 hours ago, Marcos said:

I've learned that Version 2, your local ESET distributor, doesn't use a system integrated with ESET's global ticketing system which is why we could not find your email there. That said, the problem with receiving a confirmation email at your Gmail address would need to be investigated by Version 2.

I'll try to prepare an environment for testing mirror updates and to compare the size of folders, however, since it may take some time, the best course of action would be creating a support ticket so that the case is tracked in the system.

thanks a lot for your kindly help! I will create a ticket again.

• 1 month later...
On 2/2/2023 at 7:31 PM, Marcos said:

Hi:

I had create ticket number 11020 and got initial reply. but there were no further response.  I am preparing to deploy version 10 soon. hope the confusion can be solved.

thanks a lot for your help!

• Administrators

When using a mirror, how do you share the mirror folder via http for other clients? You could use an http server with the home directory set to c:\mirror\v9 (v10,v11,...) and access it via http://server/nodupd which would always stay same and you'd just change the home folder in the http server setup over time.

You could also use http proxy or ESET Bridge to cache downloaded files. It would also enable clients to take advantage of ESET LiveGrid and pico (streaming) updates.

7 hours ago, Marcos said:

When using a mirror, how do you share the mirror folder via http for other clients? You could use an http server with the home directory set to c:\mirror\v9 (v10,v11,...) and access it via hxxp://server/nodupd which would always stay same and you'd just change the home folder in the http server setup over time.

You could also use http proxy or ESET Bridge to cache downloaded files. It would also enable clients to take advantage of ESET LiveGrid and pico (streaming) updates.

sorry I read your post several times, but I can not understand what you said. my current mirror directory structure which created by eset MirroTool is

eset_upd/{ep9,ep10}

and my policy of the update location is  hxxp://server/eset_upd/ep9

indeed I can create a hxxp://server/nodupd to "eset_upd/ep9" or "eset_upd/ep10". but that was working because when I need to maintain only one version. now win7 need ep9 and w11 need ep10 so I need to maintain two versions but a single "hxxp://server/nodupd"  can not point to two directories.

the best method is that endpoint can find out the right sub-directory by itself so I only need to tell the policy update location is "hxxp://server/eset_upd" . then endpoint v9 will find its file is under "hxxp://server/eset_upd/ep9" and endpoint v10 will find its file under "hxxp://server/eset_upd/ep10". but Eset didn't have this kind of design so the alternative method is let two versions share the same update directory. at first I thought ep9 and ep10 should share the "ep9" directory. but at previous post you told me ep9 and ep10 should share the "ep10" directory.  since ep10 mirror size is smaller than ep9, I don't know what part will be missing when ep9 use ep10 mirror directory. that's the confusion.

thanks a lot for your help!

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/23/2023 at 8:56 PM, Marcos said:

Hi:

I got some responses from local support with ticket 11020 during the month.

at first they said I should use ep10 mirror for both v9 and v10.  ep10 mirror size is smaller than ep9  because ESET withdraw some products which use the ep10 mirror. although there is no answer about what products are abandoned.

but yesterday they told me the previous answer was a mistake. v9 should use the ep9 mirror and v10 should use the ep10 mirror.  they are not interchangeable.

can I get a final confirm here about the question?

maybe this should be documented. as you can see, I already spent over two months trying to get a correct answer.

• Administrators

A product should update from a folder with mirrored files for the product's version. Of course, it will work as long as both versions use the same modules and no new module was added in the newer version.

13 minutes ago, Marcos said:

A product should update from a folder with mirrored files for the product's version. Of course, it will work as long as both versions use the same modules and no new module was added in the newer version.

so your answer is not the same as our eset local support.  folder ep9 and ep10 has many different filename and the files are very different (content and size) even with same filenames. so I don't quite understand the meaning for same module. for ex:

diff -ruq ep9 ep10 | grep differ
Files ep9/dll/nod1C88.dll.nup and ep10/dll/nod1C88.dll.nup differ
Files ep9/dll/nod1CE8.dll.nup and ep10/dll/nod1CE8.dll.nup differ
Files ep9/dll/nod324A.dll.nup and ep10/dll/nod324A.dll.nup differ
Files ep9/dll/nod3C6E.dll.nup and ep10/dll/nod3C6E.dll.nup differ
Files ep9/dll/nod3F6F.dll.nup and ep10/dll/nod3F6F.dll.nup differ
Files ep9/dll/nod42BC.dll.nup and ep10/dll/nod42BC.dll.nup differ
Files ep9/dll/nod4A79.dll.nup and ep10/dll/nod4A79.dll.nup differ
Files ep9/dll/nod6236.dll.nup and ep10/dll/nod6236.dll.nup differ
Files ep9/dll/nod7795.dll.nup and ep10/dll/nod7795.dll.nup differ
Files ep9/dll/nodA067.dll.nup and ep10/dll/nodA067.dll.nup differ
Files ep9/dll/nodB00E.dll.nup and ep10/dll/nodB00E.dll.nup differ
Files ep9/dll/nodCC08.dll.nup and ep10/dll/nodCC08.dll.nup differ
Files ep9/dll/nodD608.dll.nup and ep10/dll/nodD608.dll.nup differ
Files ep9/dll/nodE1E6.dll.nup and ep10/dll/nodE1E6.dll.nup differ
Files ep9/dll/nodF1EF.dll.nup and ep10/dll/nodF1EF.dll.nup differ
Files ep9/dll/nodF8D8.dll.nup and ep10/dll/nodF8D8.dll.nup differ

could you take a look at ticket 11020?

• 2 months later...

@tbsky Did you get it sorted? We have exactly the same question but need to support ep7, ep9 and ep10 updates in parallel from mirrored server for a few month.

THX.

From what I found here:

Documentation

it really seems that you have to create different policies for different product versions:

If necessary, create policies for any ESET product similar to the examples shown above.

9 hours ago, offbyone said:

From what I found here:

Documentation

it really seems that you have to create different policies for different product versions:

@offbyone

I got different answers from forum and support ticket. but none of them can give me further response. so for safety now I create two policies for EP9 and EP10. that's sad situation but I can only live with it.

• Administrators

The best and recommended solution is to update the product using the mirrored files intended for that specific version even though the update files may not differ 99% of time.

Unless you are in a completely offline environment, we recommend using ESET Bridge instead of a mirror to save a lot of network traffic. If using a mirror, a huge portion of files downloaded with each update are never actually used by clients. On the other hand, with ESET Bridge only files actually needed by clients to update are downloaded and cached.