Bug with Firewall module when using Interactive Mode (EIS)

12 hours ago, Marcos said:

First of all please make sure that you have the latest version 16.2.11 installed. Should the problem persist, please open a support ticket.

Version installed.
For the moment it works (just after the 1st reboot). Let's wait and see...

21 hours ago, Marcos said:

First of all please make sure that you have the latest version 16.2.11 installed. Should the problem persist, please open a support ticket.

And that's it!

After a few hours, the malfunction reappears!

The firewall pop-up window in interactive mode no longer appears, and network connections are blocked.
This is even worse than usual, because you could switch from interactive mode to automatic mode to unblock the situation, but it makes no difference now.
I now have to disable the firewall completely to re-establish my connections.
Are you serious? 

I've had it, I'm going to change my product for one that works. 

• Administrators

Please do the following:

1, Disable Self-defense and reboot the machine
2, Reproduce the issue
3, Create a dump of ekrn.exe, egui.exe and egui_proxy.exe, e.g. via the Task manager
4, Compress the dumps and supply the archive along with logs collected with ESET Log Collector.

2 hours ago, merlin666 said:

After a few hours, the malfunction reappears!

The firewall pop-up window in interactive mode no longer appears, and network connections are blocked.

It appears to me that for some unknown reason, the Eset firewall is switching from Interactive to Policy mode. In Policy mode network connections for which no firewall rule exists would be auto blocked.

Eset should be able to duplicate this behavior in the lab.

• Administrators
2 minutes ago, briskyten said:

I'm having the same problem. For a few days now, Eset is blocking processes from accessing the internet - I hear the sound of the window popping up, but don't see it. Also here only a reboot helps.

Do you have the latest version 16.2.11 installed? If so, please carry on as follows:
- temporarily disable Protected service in the advanced setup -> HIPS
- reboot the machine
- when the Internet is blocked and the firewall should ask you to allow or block the communication, open the Task manager and create dumps of:
1, egui.exe
2, egui_proxy.exe
3, ekrn.exe
- compress the dumps, upload them to a  safe location and drop me a download link
- re-enable Protected service and reboot the machine.

• 4 weeks later...

I have this same problem on Windows 11 and its driving me nuts.

I have to either restart or disable the firewall.

It is so pathetic that this has been going on for so long and it still has not been fixed. 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Administrators
2 minutes ago, eRIZ said:

16.2.15.0, it also happens after computer wake up.

I'm fed up with this bug, can this be fixed eventually? You have so many reports.

First of all please try switching to the pre-release update channel in the advanced update setup for ESET to upgrade to v17. Should the problem persist try disabling this Gamer mode setting to rule out Gamer mode as the reason for the interactive dialog not popping up:

image.png

• 3 weeks later...
  • Administrators
14 minutes ago, bafly said:

sasme issue, is there any solution yet?

its annoying me... forever

If you use sleep mode for monitor, then the issue was resolved in v17. In older versions disabling automatic activation of Gamer mode for full-screen applications should work around the issue.

14 hours ago, Marcos said:

If you use sleep mode for monitor, then the issue was resolved in v17. In older versions disabling automatic activation of Gamer mode for full-screen applications should work around the issue.

still not works! i found workaround solution - open network connections > show connection within the computer > find your connection and choose from dropdown menu > temporarily allow connection...

im reporting that issue still exists! i still need to reboot after some period of time! 

(17.0.15.0)

Edited by bafly

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/3/2023 at 3:09 AM, bafly said:

still not works! i found workaround solution - open network connections > show connection within the computer > find your connection and choose from dropdown menu > temporarily allow connection...

im reporting that issue still exists! i still need to reboot after some period of time! 

(17.0.15.0)

Thanks for the workaround, can confirm it works (although took me a bit to follow your steps.. I will now clarify them)

1. Go to Tools in the left sidebar

2. Open the Network connections tool

3. Right click anywhere and select "Show connections within the computer"

image.png.dd4254d9eae82d50710e8092fb293ab1.png

4. Look for the application you'd like to allow connection to and right click on it, then temporarily allow connection.

image.png.ac6001c40bc3f09a62fa31bf33cc281f.png

Edited by Vadrif Draco

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrators
13 minutes ago, tomjns2003 said:

I'm here to confirm that after many weeks I ran into this problem with version 16.1.14.0, I updated to 16.2.15.0 and again it happened

Please test it with v17.0.16. V16.x is in limited support and not developed any more.