Why does the ESET Augmented Reality app needs location access and more?

Go to solution Solved by rugk,

I just want to ask why the ESET Augmented Reality app needs the permissions it's actually requiring.

Why does it need access to the location (even the exact location with GPS)?

And why does it need access to the devices and app history?

This are two permissions I really can't understand, so I'd like to know for which ESET AR needs them.

Related:

And BTW:

ESET Augmented Reality BETA, created by our dedicated fan, lets you have fun with ESET android and share pictures with you and him @ amazing places anywhere in the world.

Who created it? :o

Edited by rugk

• 2 weeks later...

:huh:

I think many users would like to know this - it's not that I wouldn't trust you, ESET, but maybe some other users could ask or even complain about the fact that EAR needs location access.

• ESET Moderators

I have asked the developers for information relating to all the permissions and will communicate what I find out as soon I hear back. 

• 1 month later...
  • ESET Moderators

We have completed internal testing and are now working with our developers on the permissions questions. However, higher priority projects are taking all their time. I have sent another email inquiry to make sure we are notified as soon as the information is available. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • Solution

Recently this app got an update (the actual version is v 1.21) and now it doesn't require so much permissions anymore. (e.g. location access and the access to the device history are gone)

I don't know what permissions it had required before, but now it only requires a few permissions. (and they are easy to explain.... okay, maybe expect of the permission to access the WLAN connection information)

So "the information" was available earlier in Google Play than here... :D

Edited by rugk

• ESET Moderators

Yes, I'm sorry, I did receive an email about the new build on December 2, but I didn't update this thread. As rugk pointed out, the new permissions only require taking pictures and storing them to SD card. 

Yes no problem.

Anyway this topic is now solved in the best possible way. :)

Well... there is still this WLAN permission, but this is a permission I can accept.