EPNS not working?

I noticed since yesterday 2 devices not registering properly with all the icons and in the ESET PROTECT. 
From further drill down today it seems to evolve from EPNS not working well. 
the error I see is the following: 

ERROR: Request: Era.Common.Services.Replication.PublishLogRequest on connection: host: "###Internal##########" port: 2222 with proxy set as: Proxy: Connection: ############Proxy address########, Credentials: Name: , Password: ******, Enabled:1, EnabledFallback:1, failed with error code: 4, error message: Deadline Exceeded, and error details: . Request Id: 12d7feec-ddf5-4721-a4df-515ecd925b82
Replication details: 
[Task: CLogImportantTask, Scenario: Automatic replication (REGULAR), Connection: ###Internal##########:2222, Connection established: true, Replication inconsistency detected: false, Server busy state detected: false, Realm change detected: false, Realm uuid: cdc3daa1-9e91-49d9-9ed8-e47c689f657d, Sent logs: 0, Cached static objects: 175, Cached static object groups: 11, Static objects to save: 0, Static objects to delete: 0, Modified static objects: 0]
All replication attempts: 5

Also checking the proxy I get the following error on the apache log - (this is apache server in the cloud) 

- [27/Apr/2022:13:12:33 +0000] "CONNECT epns.eset.com:8883 HTTP/1.1" 403 219 "-" "-" 
 - [27/Apr/2022:13:12:33 +0000] "CONNECT epns.eset.com:443 HTTP/1.1" 403 218 "-" "-"  
 - [27/Apr/2022:13:12:42 +0000] "CONNECT epns.eset.com:8883 HTTP/1.1" 403 219 "-" "-" 
 - [27/Apr/2022:13:12:42 +0000] "CONNECT epns.eset.com:443 HTTP/1.1" 403 218 "-" "-"  
- [27/Apr/2022:13:13:12 +0000] "CONNECT epns.eset.com:8883 HTTP/1.1" 403 219 "-" "-"  
- [27/Apr/2022:13:13:12 +0000] "CONNECT epns.eset.com:443 HTTP/1.1" 403 218 "-" "-"   

any thoughts on the matter would be welcome

Thanks!

• ESET Moderators

Hello @avielc,

I assume that the agent data replication to the server won't be caused by the issues with EPNS.

I will respond on your private message on it, hopefully soon 🙂 

In case of issues with EPNS, enable the Push messaging advanced log, reproduce the issue, disable the logging and send us the log to check.

Peter

Hi Peter

Thanks for replying, 
I think EPNS was something outside the on-premise ESMC
Could it be you're confusing ESET Network Protection with ESET Push Notifications Service? 

• ESET Moderators

Hello,

EPNS stands for ESET Push Notification Service and yes that is outside of the on-prem ESET PROTECT, details available at

https://help.eset.com/protect_admin/90/en-US/epns.html   and https://support.eset.com/en/kb332-ports-and-addresses-required-to-use-your-eset-product-with-a-third-party-firewall#EPNS

"ESET Network Protection" is a security feature of the Endpoints.

Malfunction of either of them shouldn't cause issues with reporting to ESET PROTECT...

Peter

• ESET Staff

As mentioned, EPNS service connectivity is unrelated to issues you mentioned - EPNS in this case is used to wake-up device, used for example to make modifications to device faster (i.e. executing ASAP task sooner than deice would connect depending on it's connection interval) - I guess communication to epns.eset.com was blocked in this environment which seems to be indicated by 403 response?

In case issue with 2 devices still persist, I would recommend to double check there are no "clones" in the console. If no, troubleshooting guide: https://help.eset.com/protect_admin/90/en-US/fs_agent_connection_troubleshooting.html provides more hints - .e. checking status.html log might provide quick status, especially whether AGENT is actually running and whether it is attempting to connect to correct "destination".