Question on ESET Management Agent automatic upgrade

I noticed in the documentation for Eset Protect V9...that management agent upgrade is enabled and turned on by default in Eset Protect V9 . My Agents and endpoints are V7.x currently. I assume this means that once i upgrade to Eset Protect V9, that all management agents (pc and servers) will upgrade management agents to v9/x unless i disable in policies? Does a management agent update fro v7 to v9 require a computer restart?

• ESET Staff
1 hour ago, slarkins said:

I noticed in the documentation for Eset Protect V9...that management agent upgrade is enabled and turned on by default in Eset Protect V9 . My Agents and endpoints are V7.x currently. I assume this means that once i upgrade to Eset Protect V9, that all management agents (pc and servers) will upgrade management agents to v9/x unless i disable in policies? Does a management agent update fro v7 to v9 require a computer restart?

In this case, no upgrade of ESET Management Agents will be made after upgrade to ESET PROTECT 9.0 as there is also minimal requirement of v8.1 for AGENTs (this is first version where auto-update mechanisms was present) for this feature to work.

There is no reboot requirement after AGENT upgrade between any versions, so there should be no risk of business continuity.

Also note that upgrade of AGENTs is not immediate, even after upgrade of ESET PROTECT itself, it would take at least 2 weeks until first device would attempt to upgrade itself, and those attempts will be randomly distributed throughout few weeks to minimize possible impact. Therefore there would be enough time to execute planned upgrade if this is required in your environment.

So in my scenario...since my management agents are 7.2...upgrading to Eset protect v9...i would have to manually push out the management agent upgrade thru a task since i am currently below the minimum v8.1 agent requirements for auto agent upgrade?

• ESET Staff
15 hours ago, slarkins said:

So in my scenario...since my management agents are 7.2...upgrading to Eset protect v9...i would have to manually push out the management agent upgrade thru a task since i am currently below the minimum v8.1 agent requirements for auto agent upgrade?

Yes, that is correct. You will have to use "manual" execution of upgrade, i.e. by using one-click action on dashboard, creation of components upgrade task (documentation), or other upgrade methods suitable for your environment (GPO/SCCM).