Autoupdate & Reboot

beethoven

We are using 
ESET PROTECT Cloud (version: 3.0.4.4) and I noticed an alert that Automatic product updates will be enabled for your network from Jan 29, 2022.

I have no issue with this in principle but noticed in the past that often the update is a two step process (at least for the security product - I think for management agent it's different).  The first step is the update of the product and the second step a reboot to apply. When doing this manually I always unticked the automatic reboot believing it's good enough for this to happen the next day the pc is rebooted. Leaving the reboot enabled will force the pc to shut down and reboot without user input. This may cause all kind of issues, from files/work being lost, to operators in the middle of a conversation with customers to corruption of files without proper closing of files before shutdown. 

How can I avoid this issue in future once autoupdate is rolled out as default and has nobody else these issues?

• Administrators

Unlike installation / upgrade via a software install task, program updates (also referred to as uPCU) are installed after the next system restart. That said, the current version will continue to protect the machine until the next restart at which point the product will upgrade and no further reboot will be needed.

thanks Marcos,  just to clarify - so when I currently use a manual update via computers/show details/ product & licenses and then click the update button there, this is handled like a task installer and may reboot but for the autoupdate it will only happen after the next restart.  Then that's exactly what I was hoping for.

• Administrators
7 hours ago, beethoven said:

thanks Marcos,  just to clarify - so when I currently use a manual update via computers/show details/ product & licenses and then click the update button there, this is handled like a task installer and may reboot but for the autoupdate it will only happen after the next restart.  Then that's exactly what I was hoping for.

Not really, both manual and automatic program updates behave in the same way, ie. they are downloaded and prepared but install only after the next reboot.

that is strange as when I manually go through the steps via protect cloud, choose the workstation, choose the update for security product I am being asked if I want to reboot immediately. If I forget to untick the box, it will reboot without warning to the user.reboot.thumb.jpg.60a2bd06f031664c9e8891102edc85ba.jpg

• Administrators

There you choose if the machine will be rebooted immediately after downloading the update to install it or if the update will be downloaded but installed only after the next restart.

The product can be updated also by sending a software install task, however, in this case not all the features might work before the system is restarted. This is one of the main advantages of uPCU updates that the product remains intact and fully protects the machine until the next reboot.