Ekrn.exe Crashes Xp.

Pentode
Go to solution Solved by Pentode,

ekrn.exe making cpu run at 99% for long periods causing crashes. I have tried a re-install, this happens whether I'm on the internet or not.

Is there any fixes? I'm running XP Sp2, thanks.

Dave.

• Administrators

The best course of action would be to contact customer care as further logs and dumps will be required for analysis. Also it might be of interest to know if temporarily disabling any of the protection modules makes a difference.

• Solution

Hi again.

Nope, Nod32 is not to blame.... just that it crashed the last three days as erkn.exe was loading and I noted it kinda stayed peak cpu for ages, then 'crash it went'. For what little time I had I lobbed a hard drive in that had NO av on (just a clean copy of windows I keep as a back up), that crashed on me about an hour ago as I loaded the cpu - so it isn't Nod32 the cause.

I apologize for that in spite of all the indications being there, I did disable Nod that kind of helped so I thought.... until it rebooted itself.

Thanks for the response, better close this topic and do a bit of head scratching since this is an av board, it certainly isn't a Nod fault as I was led to believe.

Dave.

• Administrators

At least you should install SP3 but even then you won't be protected as good as with current OS that are fully supported by Microsoft.

Yes I plan installing Sp3 on a cloned drive to see how it goes.

Ekrn.exe causing no problems now, now I've cleaned the CPU cooler and applied new thermal paste,  just that it always showed up on ekrn.exe.... cpu runs some 14 deg. cooler now and that is on idle, if only it crashed on something else, if only!

Looks like I've solved this problem so the matter is now closed and certainly NOT a Nod32 problem as I wrongly thought... or lead to believe.

Thank you again Marcos,

Dave