Eset - Do I Really Need Antivirus On My Linux Distro's

Hello,

I have seen multiple discussions about this topic floating around the web. As Linux becomes more and more popular, the demand for malware will continue to rise, especially for financially driven malware.

Linux is more susceptible to browser and java based malware, as well as the big problem being rootkits and malware that use escalation of privilege in order to obtain root and run under the limited user accounts.

I am hoping to receive some responses from multiple people, however my biggest expectation here is to receive some responses from moderators and staff of ESET.

Would also be interested in receiving responses from researchers as well. More in particular Mr. Goretsky, as his responses are always clear, precise, professional, and his answers have always been correct as much as they can be.

Thanks,

~Arakasi

• 3 weeks later...
I am hoping to receive some responses from multiple people, however my biggest expectation here is to receive some responses from moderators and staff of ESET.

Well... you don't got any answers until yet, but you got a kudo from Mr. Goretsky. Praise is always good... :D

Maybe in this forum are not many users of Linux. This could be a reason.

(You just have to look at the number of topics in this forum part.)

Well... you don't got any answers until yet, but you got a kudo from Mr. Goretsky. Praise is always good... :D

Maybe in this forum are not many users of Linux. This could be a reason.

(You just have to look at the number of topics in this forum part.)

Professor Goretsky may come back and give his point of view when he have time.

Like Arakasi, I am interested in his thoughts on this too  ;)

• 4 months later...

I'm still interested in this topic... ;)

Yeah I have not forgot about this tread, I am patiently waiting, I assume Professor Goretsky is putting a lot of time into his response which is why it takes a while until it's completely done.  :)

A lingering absence entirely from the forums indicate work related activities with higher priorities or family matters, and that is ok.

...or personal obligations  :)
Glad to wait for a thoughtful response...

Edited by Arakasi

• 2 weeks later...