Ongoing Outlook Sync issues with ESET

CraigC

Hi, can someone confirm this is fixed in 8.1?

I checked release notes, but didn't see it listed, but is listed the link below.

TIA

• Administrators

The Outlook plug-in has not been updated in Endpoint v8.1. It's subject to in-depth QA review before it's included into installers.

OK, thanks, but I'm sure this was supposed to be fixed in 7.x.

Is this the correct workaround?

FWIW - Chrome browser blocks the download, says the download is dangerous.

https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/6261569?visit_id=637611007709209594-884251380&p=ib_download_blocked&hl=en-GB&rd=1#zippy=%2Cmore-info-for-software-developers-and-website-owners

Edited by CraigC

• Administrators
On 7/5/2021 at 6:56 PM, CraigC said:

OK, thanks, but I'm sure this was supposed to be fixed in 7.x.

Is this the correct workaround?

Yes, it works with both EP v7 and v8.

The fix does not seem to work with 8.1, still seeing this in Outlook:

10:02:04 Remote: {Error (0x8004010F)}

10:02:04 Not equal (conflict) named property: EsetMessageFlag

10:02:04 Local modification: {09:01:59.0310  08/07/2021 [DD/MM/YYYY]}

10:02:04 Remote modification: {09:02:01.0438  08/07/2021 [DD/MM/YYYY]}

10:02:05 Conflict generated, remote item is winner

Here is export of settings:

<ITEM NAME="01000800">
    <ITEM NAME="settings">
     <NODE NAME="OutlookIntegrationEnabled" TYPE="number" VALUE="1" />
     <NODE NAME="OEIntegrationEnabled" TYPE="number" VALUE="1" />
     <NODE NAME="WLMIntegrationEnabled" TYPE="number" VALUE="1" />
     <NODE NAME="DisableInboxChangesChecking" TYPE="number" VALUE="0" />
     <NODE NAME="OutlookIntegrationChangeCounter" TYPE="number" VALUE="0" />
     <NODE NAME="OutlookSyncIssuesFix" TYPE="number" VALUE="33" />
     <NODE NAME="OutlookCOMAddinForced" TYPE="number" VALUE="0" />
     <NODE NAME="DeliveryByEESessionEventsEnabled" TYPE="number" VALUE="0" />
     <NODE NAME="ExportToMsg" TYPE="number" VALUE="0" />
     <NODE NAME="OEAlwaysUseEplgHooks" TYPE="number" VALUE="0" />
     <NODE NAME="ExportToEmlEnabled" TYPE="number" VALUE="0" />
    </ITEM>

• Administrators

Does enabling this option make a difference?

WEB AND EMAIL -> Email client protection -> EMAIL CLIENTS -> EMAIL CLIENT INTEGRATION -> Disable checking upon inbox content change

This option is currently disabled, I can enable the option to disable the checking, but would like to understand what the impact of this is? There must be a good reason for ESET to have this option enabled by default?

Hello @Marcos, yes I tested this setting, it makes no difference to Sync issues. I am now in contact with UK support, and I have given them a link to this forum post.

16:10:07 Remote: {Error (0x8004010F)}

16:10:07 Not equal (conflict) named property: EsetMessageFlag

16:10:07 Local modification: {15:10:02.0327  09/07/2021 [DD/MM/YYYY]}

16:10:07 Remote modification: {15:10:00.0459  09/07/2021 [DD/MM/YYYY]}

16:10:07 Conflict generated, local item is winner

<ITEM NAME="01000800">
    <ITEM NAME="settings">
     <NODE NAME="OutlookIntegrationEnabled" TYPE="number" VALUE="1" />
     <NODE NAME="OEIntegrationEnabled" TYPE="number" VALUE="1" />
     <NODE NAME="WLMIntegrationEnabled" TYPE="number" VALUE="1" />
     <NODE NAME="DisableInboxChangesChecking" TYPE="number" VALUE="1" />
     <NODE NAME="OutlookIntegrationChangeCounter" TYPE="number" VALUE="0" />
     <NODE NAME="OutlookSyncIssuesFix" TYPE="number" VALUE="33" />
     <NODE NAME="OutlookCOMAddinForced" TYPE="number" VALUE="0" />
     <NODE NAME="DeliveryByEESessionEventsEnabled" TYPE="number" VALUE="0" />
     <NODE NAME="ExportToMsg" TYPE="number" VALUE="0" />
     <NODE NAME="OEAlwaysUseEplgHooks" TYPE="number" VALUE="0" />
     <NODE NAME="ExportToEmlEnabled" TYPE="number" VALUE="0" />

• Administrators

I've talked to the developer of the plugin and according to him DisableInboxChangesChecking to 1 must resolve EsetMessageFlag property conflicts.

Couldn't it be that you have quite many emails in inbox and it takes longer to remove the property from all the emails?

Mailbox is 7GB. I don't fully understand what the DisableInboxChangesChecking is doing, as documentation just says "If you are experiencing system slowdown when retrieving emails, enable this option"

But, if the 'disable' is enabled, ie '1', then I don't know why it would have to update new messages that arrive in inbox after the setting is enabled, and PC rebooted.

I am using Office365 as server, there are no PST's, just OST for cache.

Edited by CraigC

• Administrators

The setting affects messages in inbox (not those in subfolders). If set to 0, the plug-in writes the said property to each of the message in inbox to track message modifications for re-scan purposes. If set to 1, this property is not written. If the value is changed from 0 to 1, the property is removed from each message which may take longer to complete if there are too many messages in inbox.

Still does not make sense to me @Marcos. Here is what is I have done:

1) I have changed settings as per my post above.

2) I have restarted my PC and Outlook

3) A new message arrives, but I still get the Sync error

Are you saying If I make the change from 0 to 1, even if a new message arrives the property is still written to new messages?

Hello @Marcos, I was wondering if there is any update on this?

I am still seeing these sync issues, even after applying the settings you recommend:

13:16:50 Checking local modifications

13:16:50 Ignore property: 0x3FFA001F

13:16:50 Compare named property: EsetMessageFlag

13:16:50 Getting remote properties

13:16:50 Checking remote modifications

13:16:50 Compare (conflict) named property: EsetMessageFlag

13:16:50 Local: {I4:0}

13:16:50 Remote: {Error (0x8004010F)}

13:16:50 Not equal (conflict) named property: EsetMessageFlag

13:16:50 Local modification: {12:16:40.0993  13/07/2021 [DD/MM/YYYY]}

13:16:50 Remote modification: {12:16:41.0490  13/07/2021 [DD/MM/YYYY]}

13:16:50 Conflict generated, remote item is winner

And here is my config:

<ITEM NAME="01000800">
<ITEM NAME="settings">
<NODE NAME="OutlookIntegrationEnabled" TYPE="number" VALUE="1"/>
<NODE NAME="OEIntegrationEnabled" TYPE="number" VALUE="1"/>
<NODE NAME="WLMIntegrationEnabled" TYPE="number" VALUE="1"/>
<NODE NAME="DisableInboxChangesChecking" TYPE="number" VALUE="1"/>
<NODE NAME="OutlookIntegrationChangeCounter" TYPE="number" VALUE="0"/>
<NODE NAME="OutlookSyncIssuesFix" TYPE="number" VALUE="33"/>
<NODE NAME="OutlookCOMAddinForced" TYPE="number" VALUE="0"/>
<NODE NAME="DeliveryByEESessionEventsEnabled" TYPE="number" VALUE="0"/>
<NODE NAME="ExportToMsg" TYPE="number" VALUE="0"/>
<NODE NAME="OEAlwaysUseEplgHooks" TYPE="number" VALUE="0"/>
<NODE NAME="ExportToEmlEnabled" TYPE="number" VALUE="0"/>
</ITEM>

• Administrators
On 7/9/2021 at 6:04 PM, CraigC said:

3) A new message arrives, but I still get the Sync error

You may be getting sync issues on older messages that are already in inbox. It may take longer to remove the EsetMessageFlag from existing messages after enabling DisableInboxChangesChecking if there are many of them in inbox.

On 7/9/2021 at 6:04 PM, CraigC said:

Are you saying If I make the change from 0 to 1, even if a new message arrives the property is still written to new messages?

Newly received messages will not have that property.

Hello @Marcos I am getting sync issues on all new messages. I set the following 3 days ago.

<NODE NAME="DisableInboxChangesChecking" TYPE="number" VALUE="1"/>

• Administrators

Please open a support ticket with your local ESET distributor. They will provide you with a logging version of the Outlook plug-in and instructions to follow. The log will then be submitted by ESET UK to ESET HQ for perusal.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello @Marcos, I did as you suggested, the diagnostics have been been reviewed and the issue has been classified as a BUG.

The instructions on the ESET website that I posted above, and are supposed to work with v8 do not correct the issue with ESET writing named property: EsetMessageFlag into the messages.

The ticket case ref in the ESET system is #CASE_00129486.

I am surprised other ESET and Office365 users are not complaining about this, we have seen some mailboxes that are 25GB of sync issues, due to the EsetMessageFlag property issue.

I have runs scripts on some of our Office365 tenants, and have notice all ESET users running various versions are getting issue, its not just 8.1.

Also, and I think this is important, the issue is compounded if there are multiple devices accessing the same mailbox.

Take the example of a manager who has a PC, laptop & mobile all connected to his Office365 Exchange mailbox, he also has his PA/secretary accessing his/her mailbox from their PC. So, 2 PCs and 1 laptop all running ESET, all with ESET Outlook plugin enabled accessing same mailbox, this is where the issue gets compounded. We are seeing 25%, 25GB of sync issues in a 100GB mailbox.

• Administrators

Yes, conflicts occur if a message is concurrently modified both on the server and a client which can happen if a message is viewed on multiple clients where it is modified by a plugin and then synced with the server.

The bug related to the setting "Disable checking upon inbox content change" is going to be addressed in upcoming Endpoint v8.1 releases and probably will be backported to v8.0 too. Afterwards enabling the setting should get rid of the sync issues that you are experiencing.

On 7/28/2021 at 1:32 PM, CraigC said:

I am surprised other ESET and Office365 users are not complaining about this, we have seen some mailboxes that are 25GB of sync issues, due to the EsetMessageFlag property issue.

We're also seeing this problem on 8.1.2031.0, including the massively inflated mailbox sizes due to sync issues / conflicts.  Hopefully the reworked Outlook integration will be delivered soon, but until then it'd be great to have clear guidance from the vendor on how to work around this issue.

• Administrators
5 minutes ago, Goeman said:

until then it'd be great to have clear guidance from the vendor on how to work around this issue.

A workaround will be to enable the setting "Disable checking upon inbox content change" in future v8.x versions. There's currently a bug causing this setting not to work.

• 2 weeks later...

OK just found this thread after more searching after starting my own post.

This is a massive problem that has been around for so long, WHY hasn't ESET fixed this years ago. There are settings in the client that should fix it but they don't work...

And to answer why most people don't notice this, because Outlook defaults to the Mail view which doesn't display the Sync Issues folders. Only if you switch to Folder view do you see these. So this can go on unnoticed until someone realizes their mailbox has grown to stupid levels and actually goes looking for it.

• Administrators

The problem with sync issues could occur since ESET v2 which introduced the MS Outlook plug-in. It occurs by design simply because the plug-in modifies certain message properties. E.g. it may modify the subject, add a signature to scanned messages, information if the message has been scanned with the current engine, etc. If the message is concurrently modified on the client and server or on more clients, a property conflict may occur, causing a sync issue.

If messages are scanned by ESET both on your mail server and locally on clients as well, you can disable the Outlook plug-in.

Marcos, all of my customers are Office 365. No one has there own Exchange server anymore. Therefore it's not possible to install ESET on the Exchange server. 

I understand this is by design. But it's also a feature of the security policy that you can disable this 'tagging'. The problem is this doesn't work. And as per my other forum post, disabling the Outlook plugin is not an option. It's on of the key reasons I recommend, sell and support ESET. Even with Office 365, my customers regularly receive malicious emails that the ESET Outlook plug in detects. But having anywhere between 10 & 50% of your mailbox duplicated to conflicts as a result is unworkable.

This has been a known problem for SOOOO long. Why is it still not fixed?

If you are running Office365, you can run a powershell command to show how BIG the issue is for all the mailboxes on a single tenant:

Get-Mailbox -RecipientTypeDetails UserMailbox | Get-MailboxFolderStatistics -FolderScope SyncIssues | Select Identity, Name,FolderSize

Use the guide here to setup exchange online powershell if you haven't already:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powershell/exchange/connect-to-exchange-online-powershell?view=exchange-ps

I think the issue is compounded with shared mailboxes and/or multiple devices accessing a mailbox that are all running ESET Endpoint. It would be good if ESET can build these use cases into their QA tests for Outlook Plugin, rather than just a single mailbox with a single ESET endpoint device.