New Internet Connection Found

Hello all, I've been using eSet smart security for years now without much problem but today when I turned on my computer there was a message telling me that a new internet connection was connected or something to my computer. Then it asked me to choose either strict protection or public sharing I didnt know what to do so I pressed strict protection. Has someone hacked into my computer by any chance? What should I do to confirm my suspicions?

The screen that I encountered looked like this picture expect that I am using Smart security 5

hxxp://www.eset.eu/buxus/images/Pictures/DIALOG_EPFW_TRUSTED_ZONE.png

EDIT: I found my way into a list of connections and found the one that was registered in for today and I deleted it but does that solve everything?

Edited by TheChaser101

Hello,

From time to time, ESET will re-analyze your network and trusted zone. I have noticed this on my laptop 2 or 3 times now. Especially after an update, or if any of your network drivers were update etc.

Of course this will also happen if your local subnet gets changed. ie: Switch from 192.168.0.0 to 10.0.0.0 or 172.16.0.0

This will happen sometimes also if you have your router set to DHCP and your network adapter is not specifying a static IP.

This will cause your private IP behind the DMZ to change from time to time.

No you have not been hacked based off the current status and picture, and my best advice going forward is to upgrade to the latest ESET Smart Security 7.

Here is a direct download link for your convenience : 32-bit ---- 64-bit

You can install over the top of your existing and the procedure should keep your settings the same.

Edited by Arakasi

• Administrators

According to the screen shot, you are using ESS 4. Please download and install the latest version of ESS 7.0.317 which provides much better protection thanks to LiveGrid than v4.

As Arakasi wrote, this window would pop up if a network subnet changed or a new network was created and the subnet didn't belong to the Trusted zone.

• ESET Staff

Hi,

If you want to learn more about the "New network connection detected" window, you can check out our Knowledgebase article on the topic. Bear in mind that the article is written using the latest version of ESET Smart Security.

Sorry the screenshot was not mine it was just a screen that I got off google hoping to give a visual on what my problem may have been. Don't know if that'll change your replies to me but thank you everyone for the responses.

• Administrators

Sorry the screenshot was not mine it was just a screen that I got off google hoping to give a visual on what my problem may have been. Don't know if that'll change your replies to me but thank you everyone for the responses.

We strongly recommend upgrading to ESS v7 as it would protect you against new threats quicker than v5 due to various improvements, especially with regard to LiveGrid.