Eset Smart Security is not upgrading to latest version

I have Smart Security 7.0.302.29 and every time I press the "Check for updates" button it says that it updated. Everyone know that the latest version is 7.0.317.4. Why does it do this? Virus signature database is getting updated without problems but the latest program version is not visible? Why?

same thing happened on my sister's laptop. I had to install the new version manually. that was with NOD32 though. why is Eset's programs not auto updating like they should when you hit the product upgrade button

Thanks a lot for your answers. What I get is ESET, for one more time, seems unreliable in my eyes. One point down for ESET.

In a month my home lic expires, so do my company's machines. I will have to find a better utility.

• Administrators

Thanks a lot for your answers. What I get is ESET, for one more time, seems unreliable in my eyes. One point down for ESET.

In a month my home lic expires, so do my company's machines. I will have to find a better utility.

Could you please elaborate more on this? What makes ESET unreliable?

as in, such a vital feature such as update doesn't work right. Every AV in the world auto updates. Why doesn't ESET do so? I had to manually upgrade PCs for each of my family members. Wasted my time! not acceptable

People . . .

It was 1 update. This is not a regular occurrence for ESET.

They have already explained in-depth why this one particular update was not incorporated into PCU.

Would you rebuild a car engine so that you can change the oil filter out ? Dumb analogy but if the shoe fits.

Edited by Arakasi

People . . .

It was 1 update. This is not a regular occurrence for ESET.

They have already explained in-depth why this one particular update was not incorporated into PCU.

Would you rebuild a car engine so that you can change the oil filter out ? Dumb analogy but if the shoe fits.

not acceptable!! yes if the updater had issues initially I understand, but after so many days still not updating?? and this has nothing to do with cars and oil filters! this is a security product and just like all other security products, performs best when updated.

please do not defend ESET like a fanboy, I praise them when it's about detection rates, no FPs, but having such a core component of the AV not work well or not fixed for so long is NOT acceptable! I wonder how many thousands of people are still running on the older heavier and buggier version! you think the average joe knows how to manually update??

Hello Tweak Arena,

I think you misunderstand something. There are some points you should know:

1. This isn't an issue. This is purposeful.
    ESET don't want to release this update automatic, because it's only a small update and the other reason follow now.
  2. This update you talk about contains only some small bug fixes!
    If you notices bugs that were closed in the new version that you can still - and also very simple - download the installer from the ESET website and run it.
  3. The things that (also other AV companies) update very periodically are virus signature database updates. They have to be updated quickly and automatic! To update the program is also good, but no such important.
  4. The changes from version 7.0.302.26 to version 7.0.307 are very small. So also the old version normally provides good protection. It works well!

You can also have a look at this post. There someone asked whether the new version provides the same protection like the old version.

Edited by rugk

No you misunderstand.

They purposefully left the update in question out of PCU.

Its not broken.

It was a decision they made.

Any new customers that download ESET will automatically be getting the latest.

Any current customers need to download and install over the top.

See this post by Marcos: https://forum.eset.com/topic/2494-eset-smart-security-70317-has-been-released/#entry14201

Also read this :

hxxp://kb.eset.com/esetkb/index?page=content&id=SOLN2256

Edited by Arakasi

Quit calling me a fanboy.

Really getting old hearing that around here.

In the future when i see those kinds of derogatory statements whether its towards me or anyone else here, i will be filing complaints.

You probably have Russel Crowe stuffed teddy bears.

Edited by Arakasi

Quit calling me a fanboy.

Really getting old hearing that around here.

In the future when i see those kinds of derogatory statements whether its towards me or anyone else here, i will be filing complaints.

You probably have Russel Crowe stuffed teddy bears.

how'd you know? this IS my Teddy bear:

post-1272-0-75625600-1404149538_thumb.jpg

post-1272-0-35291000-1404149539_thumb.jpg

post-1272-0-49285000-1404149544_thumb.jpg

Its not broken.

It was a decision they made.

Like I said:

1. This isn't an issue.

I understand this!

Edited by rugk

• Administrators

To make it clear, let's put some facts together:

1, ESET rarely released program component updates (PCU) before v5. As of v5, we started to release PCUs for users who manually check for update. Of course, such PCUs must undergo an intensive pre-release testing.

2, Antivirus programs are tighly integrated with the operating system, much more than any other kind of applications. Given that each system is unique in terms of hardware and software configuration, releasing a PCU to millions of existing users could cause issues with certain configurations, no matter how long and intensively a PCU had been tested.

3, There's a saying: If it ain't broken, don't fix it. If a newer version addresses only certain non-critical issues that only a small portion of users has encountered, distributing the PCU to all users could jeopardize their systems, potentially causing serious issues.

• Administrators

I'd like to emphasize that we're talking about program component updates which involve unregistration of critical drivers, kernel, etc. and replacing them with a newer version. PCUs have fresh help files included as well.

On the other hand, we keep releasing signature updates as well as module updates with enhancements and fixes on a regular basis to all users automatically independently from PCUs.

This is a type of "service release" that unless you have experienced or currently are experiencing any of the fixed problems you don't need to update, I haven't updated myself since updating wouldn't fix any problems for me. Aside from the included "fixes" its identical to the previous build. 

FWIW, I am still on build 7.0.302 and I have no plans to upgrade any time soon. 

Edited by SweX

To make it clear, let's put some facts together:

1, ESET rarely released program component updates (PCU) before v5. As of v5, we started to release PCUs for users who manually check for update. Of course, such PCUs must undergo an intensive pre-release testing.

2, Antivirus programs are tighly integrated with the operating system, much more than any other kind of applications. Given that each system is unique in terms of hardware and software configuration, releasing a PCU to millions of existing users could cause issues with certain configurations, no matter how long and intensively a PCU had been tested.

3, There's a saying: If it ain't broken, don't fix it. If a newer version addresses only certain non-critical issues that only a small portion of users has encountered, distributing the PCU to all users could jeopardize their systems, potentially causing serious issues.

ok this makes sense, thanks for the explanation

Your Internet Security solution has made me a lot of problems. One of them was the block of svchost.exe without giving me the opportunity to allow it connect with the net. I opened a thread here in this forum and the only thing that I got was some ironic comments. No serious solutions were given and I was forced to format my pc in order to solve my problem. This cost me enough money.

And this problem with the upate process is not new. In the past one or two more times I noticed that it was not upgrading and I had to install the new version manually. And other problems with internet connection and more that none could solve and I didn't know what to do, and I lost more money because the computer was in a technician hands and not mine to work. That's why you are unreliable. I want a software that will not be a headache. In my age of 55 I do not have the time and the appetite to deal with an application like NOD. Sorry, but I cannot. Be good. Bye.

• Administrators

Your Internet Security solution has made me a lot of problems. One of them was the block of svchost.exe without giving me the opportunity to allow it connect with the net. 

I'll check the topics you've made for more information about this issue. The thing is that nobody else has reported it and ESET doesn't block communication on its own; there must always be a reason, such as a blocking rule created in the firewall or HIPS.

And this problem with the upate process is not new. In the past one or two more times I noticed that it was not upgrading and I had to install the new version manually. I want a software that will not be a headache.

The decision not to release a PCU to v. 7.0.317 was made just to save users from headaches and issues that they might run into by installing a minor update addressing certain non-critical issues even if they hadn't experienced them. We learned a lesson in the past and prefer not to release PCUs unless inevitable due to the reasons mentioned in my previous post.

And this problem with the upate process is not new.

How many times we had to say it? 

This isn't a problem!

Please read the posts carefully and then you also understand it.

One of them was the block of svchost.exe without giving me the opportunity to allow it connect with the net. I opened a thread here in this forum and the only thing that I got was some ironic comments. No serious solutions were given (...)

I found your topic about this and there are really no ironic comments or something of this kind. Many users gave constructive answers, tried to help you and @Arakasi even offered remote support. So don't blame this users!

Edited by rugk