ESET Business Account - Multiple Products

Hello - I can see this question has been asked numerous times, but without a clear way to fix the issue. In reviewing licenses in ELA and now EBA, I have several places where devices are grouped as "Multiple products". Many threads point out this is caused by the same hardware being renamed. However in our case, each computer is a separate hardware device, but the dock used for setup was the same. All the devices that are grouped under "Multiple Products" are mobile Surface or Lenovo products that were all imaged and software installed on the same dock. Due to the dock having the same hardware and mac address it most likely causes this issue. What is the process to fix this? How do I separate the devices so that each have their own seat? or do I just get free licenses when it groups them together like this?

image.png.5e675dbd694a12a8ac2d2c1265623bf0.png

• ESET Staff

My suggestion would be to "deactivate" the grouped entry, and then reactivate the devices, once they are connected outside of the dock. In case you are managing your devices using ESET Protect / Security Management Center, you can create a dynamic group for "not activated computers", that will reactivate them upon detecting the status. 

And indeed, it is most likely caused by the dock, that has been in use. 

MichalJ - I tried as you suggested. I deleted the computers that comprised the "Multiple prodcuts" group, and confirmed they did not show in EBA any longer. From ESET Protect, I then pushed a "Product Activation" task to each computer. The computers then showed back up in EBA grouped together again. I tried two different groups, 6 different computers that all did the same thing. I know for certain these computers are in different locations, different docks and one computer is being used from home today. They still all went back into EBA and grouped back up automagically.

What else can I try? I'd really prefer that the licensing in EBA matched the installs I maintain in ESET Proect.

• ESET Staff

I will discuss it with our tech teams here what might be the issue as I am personally out of ideas now. 

Is there any additional info you can share about those devices? Type of hardware, dock, etc. Also, what versions of applications are being used? Per my knowledge, newer versions of Endpoints (7.3 / 8.0) should have improved the HWF logic, so could eventually improve the situation. 

Btw, if you do a manual count of the devices managed via ESET Protect, and the count of devices used per EBA, does this match, or you have -5 entries, as those 6 devices are counted as one? 

MichaelJ - To answer your questions:

- I checked the "Multiple products" groups in EBA, the devices are all Microsoft Surface Pro or Surface Book devices, there are also two Panasonic tablet devices. All Microsoft Surface devices are using the Surface Dock. In our department, we have a single MS Dock that we use for imaging and deploying software before installing the equipment. We do not normally unbox each and every dock to image our computers which is why multiple machines are imaged and software (ESET is installed after imaging) is installed. While we could unbox each dock and use it with the device it is assigned too, it doesn't seem we should need to do that just to have ESET licensing report correctly.

- All devices that are grouped have either 7.3 or 8.0 installed. We have some groupings with all devices on 8.0. We have one group that has one 7.3 and one 8.0 device.

- I am attaching a couple screen shots from EBA and ESET Protect. Both locations seem to be somewhat confused by the grouping of Multiple Products. The actual Device count that EBA shows on the dashboard and ESET Protect shows on the dashboard usually match. We have a 250 count license that is almost full as we are in the middle of swapping equipment right now. However, if I look at the License Management page in ESET Protect, it shows a different number. EBA also shows the same number in the Product Usage section of the Dashboard.

eset_license_01.JPG

eset_license_02.JPG

• ESET Staff

Hello @rockshox, than you for your feedback and patience with this.

The actual product usage between EBA and license screen in EP should match. Does it "correct" if you click "Synchronize licenses" in EP license screen? In this case 238 / 250 should be present in both.

Also, when you count the number of actually connected computers in your EP server (not in the license screen, but the amount of devices you manage, what is the total count? Is it more, or less than those 238 reported in EBA

I am forwarding this information to the responsible team, it might be worth, if you share with me your license PLID number (XXX-XXX-XXX) via a private message, so we can investigate the details further, and possibly impersonate to your account, to check the affected devices, and their details in the backend database. 

@MichalJ - To answer your questions:

- Yes. After I do a synchronize in EP, but EBA and EP show the same thing. Sorry the numbers keep changing, but due to the fact we are rolling out new PC's, I've been juggling removing and adding the PC's so we don't max out at 250 during the swaps. With the shuffle, right now both EP and EBA show 229/250, so they do match each other even though it appears to be the wrong number.

- When I view the main dashboard in EP, it shows I have 242 Managed & Protected devices. That is correct. I exported the Computers table to Excel and confirmed 242 devices in the list.  EBA currently shows 240 Activated Devices. They are close, but not the same, and neither of them match the 229/250 number that is displayed in other locations.

I will send you the PLID in a PM.

eset_license_03.JPG

eset_license_04.JPG

eset_license_05.JPG