Problems with thunderbird and IMAPS

SbS

Hi, 

today at 11:30 a bunch of our enpoints updated and the TLS connection to our IMAP server with thunderbird stopped working.

We saw that about at 14 another update came out but it isn't fixing the proken clients and we need to reinstall nod32 or create a new thunderbird profile.

Are you working on an update that is going to fix the issue?

Regards

Giuseppe

Hi

I have the sam issue, but I found the solution - i think that temporary, becouse ESET should to fix it or refresh.

Go to Settings , Advanced... then search for SSL. You will see an option like LIST OF APPLICATIONS, WHICH ARE ...... FILTERING PROTOCOL SSL/TLS. Then Click Edit, search for Thunderbird and Edit it from Automatic to Ignore.

Regards

Edited by AJF

Looks like I'm affected with the same issue.
The problem started to appear around 12:00, now I have the same on two computers both running ESET and Thunderbird 78.5.0.

Symptoms on my side:

• In Thunderbird IMAP accounts cannot download new emails, they are stuck with "Checking mail server capabilities" message in the footer.
  • Sending emails is possible via SMTP, but after message is sent, Thunderbird displays popup that outgoing message cannot be saved to "Sent" folder.

The workaround for me is to disable SSL/TLS filtering like here: https://support.eset.com/en/kb3126-disable-ssl-filtering-in-eset-windows-products

Z.

• Administrators

Does the following the following help?
- reboot the machine
- disable SSL filtering in the advanced ESET setup and click OK
- re-enable SSL filtering and click OK
- launch Thunderbird.

Disabling protection by setting the Ignore action for TB or disabling SSL filtering permanently is not a solution since malware you may receive in email would be undetected.

Yes, of course I meant disabling SSL to be  only a temporary workaround.
For me rebooting did not help, nor disabling and reenabling SSL/TLS filtering ... until 1min ago when all of a sudden the problem went away by itself on the host where I had it and where the SSL/TLS filtering was still enabled. Maybe that was another ESET update? I also noticed that at roughly the same time Firefox started to display "bad certificate error" on multiple sites, but it went away after I restarted the browser.

I seem to also be having this problem. I have 3 email accounts, and Thunderbird stopped downloading new emails. Mailwasher however is still working. I disabled email scanning in general, and my work email started working, but not my Gmail or Verizon accounts.

I tried the above suggestion to ignore Thunderbird in the SSL/TLS applications, and it does work for me now.

Edited by NeilBlanchard

• Administrators
1 minute ago, NeilBlanchard said:

I seem to also be having this problem. I have 3 email accounts, and Thunderbird stopped downloading new emails. Mailwasher however is still working. I disabled email scanning in general, and my work email started working, but not my Gmail or Verizon accounts.

I tried the above suggestion to ignore Thunderbird in the SSL/TLS applications, and it doesn't work for me.

If an application is excluded from SSL filtering or if SSL filtering is disabled, ESET cannot have any effect on SSL communication.

I received the new Eset Internet protection module, 1416, today and have no issue with either of my two e-mail providers in Thunderbird. One is using IMAPS - SSL/TLS and the other POPS - SSL/TLS.

Are the people having issues using IMAP - STARTTLS or STARTSSL ?

I have problems with both POP3 and IMAP since last nights download of detection engine updates 22403 through 22405.  The only solution I have found is to disable POP3 scanner setup and IMAP Scanner setup.   Thunderbird 78.5.0   Windows 10. 

9 minutes ago, olgoat said:

I have problems with both POP3 and IMAP since last nights download of detection engine updates 22403 through 22405.  The only solution I have found is to disable POP3 scanner setup and IMAP Scanner setup.   Thunderbird 78.5.0   Windows 10. 

Add 22402 to the list of updates.

• Administrators

Please carry on as follows:
- reboot the machine
- disable SSL filtering and click OK
- re-enable SSL filter and click OK
- launch Thunderbird.

31 minutes ago, Marcos said:

Please carry on as follows:
- reboot the machine
- disable SSL filtering and click OK
- re-enable SSL filter and click OK
- launch Thunderbird.

That seems to have resolved the imap issue for now.  I will test it for a bit.  I assume this would have no affect on the POP3 issue.  I have a ticket in for the pop3 filter problem

6 hours ago, Marcos said:

Does the following the following help?
- reboot the machine
- disable SSL filtering in the advanced ESET setup and click OK
- re-enable SSL filtering and click OK
- launch Thunderbird.

Disabling protection by setting the Ignore action for TB or disabling SSL filtering permanently is not a solution since malware you may receive in email would be undetected.

I tried this and it does not fix the problem, for me. I have to toggle Thunderbird back to Ignore, in order to download emails.

The odd thing is that Mailwasher continues to work just fine.

7 minutes ago, NeilBlanchard said:

I tried this and it does not fix the problem, for me. I have to toggle Thunderbird back to Ignore, in order to download emails.

The odd thing is that Mailwasher continues to work just fine.

I didn't realize you were all on a different product.  I am using NOD32 FWIW and the fix above is still holding on my WIN10 laptop.  My POP3 filtering is still toast and have not heard anything from eset yet on that ticket.

We are a computer reseller in Belgium.

I can confirm the problem between Nod32 and Thunderbird 78 : disabling the SSL/TLS filtering solve the issue.

It is not the first time we have that kind of issue with Nod32 and client mails, and it is VERY bothering : since yesterday, we have received many requests for help from desperate customers. 

I can't believe this problem occurs again and that questions about us keeping on proposing this product. Fortunatelly, we have an OUTSTANDING support from MGK in Luxembourg, but why we - and them - have to deal with that is beyond my understanding. Don't you try that in your labs ?

Always the same : developers are disconnected with the real world. Customers suffer.

• Administrators
2 hours ago, MVB said:

We are a computer reseller in Belgium.

I can confirm the problem between Nod32 and Thunderbird 78 : disabling the SSL/TLS filtering solve the issue.

It is not the first time we have that kind of issue with Nod32 and client mails, and it is VERY bothering : since yesterday, we have received many requests for help from desperate customers. 

I can't believe this problem occurs again and that questions about us keeping on proposing this product. Fortunatelly, we have an OUTSTANDING support from MGK in Luxembourg, but why we - and them - have to deal with that is beyond my understanding. Don't you try that in your labs ?

Always the same : developers are disconnected with the real world. Customers suffer.

Let's sum up the facts:

1, In order for SSL filtering to work, the ESET root certificate must be imported in the Thunderbird's trusted root CA certificate store in order for the mail client to trust the communication encrypted with ESET's private key.

2, The ESET root certificate is imported after installation provided that TB is not running or after a reboot after TB sends a TLS alert in case the certificate is unknown or expired.

3, After the recent update of the Internet protection module the root certificate was most likely re-generated. According to the code it would happen if Windows prevented us from accessing certificate keys. We are currently investigating if this is what happened. It's also possible that the TLS alert sent by Thundebird has recently changed and we were not signalized that re-import of the root certificate was needed. Again, this is something that is being investigated.

Fix:
1, Make sure that Thunderbird is not running (ie. its process doesn't appear in the Task manager), or reboot the machine.
2, Disable SSL filtering in the advanced ESET setup and click OK.
3, Re-enable SSL filtering in the advanced ESET setup and click OK.
4, Launch Thunderbird.

I have the same issue. Restarted PC, restarted thunderbird, disabled SSL/TLS and re-enabled it couple of times. The only thing what helped what to set Thunderbird to be ignored in SSL/TLS inspection. I'll use that for a few days and will try again later.

• Administrators
38 minutes ago, Kveri said:

I have the same issue. Restarted PC, restarted thunderbird, disabled SSL/TLS and re-enabled it couple of times. The only thing what helped what to set Thunderbird to be ignored in SSL/TLS inspection. I'll use that for a few days and will try again later.

Should the issue persist even if you disable and re-enable SSL filtering right after a computer restart (ie. without launching TB first), please create a new topic in which we could help you troubleshoot the issue.

The procedure Marcos describes works for me. The key seems to be to have Thunderbird off while cycling SSL filtering off then on, then re-starting if afterwards. If I read Kveri's post, that was not done in that case.

I followed your instructions in 1-4 above. This does not work for me. I can only receive emails in Thunderbird with SSL filtering switched off. This is true on two different desktop devices and for both pop and imap accounts. I am using TB 78.5.0 with Windows 10. The android email apps on both my mobile devices are working perfectly.

1 hour ago, Kveri said:

Not sure if that was a typo or not but the instructions were to restart thunderbird AFTER the disable and re-enable of the ssl filtering.   That is what I did and I am still ok this morning.

One thing that doesn't make sense to me is that I have been running NOD32 for over a decade and IMAP on Gmail for almost that long and I have NEVER had this issue before.