How hard to properly implement something

Hi,

This message is directed at the ESET Developers and people who work at ESET:

I have been using your software for years and it is a good AV software hence we keep interest in it. However, as time goes by we've grown concern about the products.

For over an year we've witnessed macOS throwing warnings about the legacy extensions. Upon the release of Big Sur, while other softwares have been properly adapted to changes, we see ESET doing a very poor implementation of a network filter, that not only DOES NOT WORK (and interrupts internet service) also requires an active VPN connection instead of a proper (and almost invisible) network filtering solution as, eg, obdev's Little Snitch.

Please hire better developers, or shift your stand to a more correct approach. It is shameful that we're still waiting for a functional software weeks after the OS release. This is what a network filter should look like (image attached) not that abnormality of that pretend VPN. Thank you.

Screenshot 2020-11-24 at 16.27.54.png

Edited by maverickws
text edit

• Administrators

As of Big Sur, any software that provides network filtering must register as a proxy and ESET is no different. This is a requirement by the move from kernel extensions to system extensions in Big Sur.

As for the issue with the proxy not connecting automatically after a reboot, there will be a newer version with a fix to the issue released in the following days.

Hopefully then it will be a proper implementation of network filter, not that "VPN Proxy whatitsname". It shouldn't even have a "connect" button, shouldn't have any fields editable under Network Preferences.

ESET has had MONTHS to install Beta versions of macOS Big Sur and solve this. 

BTW I kindly request you to retract your comment about System Extensions. System extensions were introduced in CATALINA, your remark just shows how little your knowledge about the subject is, and that's YEARS to work on System Extensions.

https://developer.apple.com/system-extensions/

Edited by maverickws

On 11/25/2020 at 3:07 PM, Marcos said:

First of all, this topic is not intended to discuss technical matters. You actually compared apples with oranges; a firewall with http/pop3 proxy which are completely different things. When we have a new version with firewall compatible with Big Sur ready, it will appear exactly as Little Snitch in the Network connection list. As for the proxy, you must compare it with another product that performs http/pop3 filtering and not with a firewall. In order to discuss technical matters, please create a new topic in the appropriate forum.

As I called before, "Marcos" is, in my opinion, the perfect image of how bad things are going at ESET:

First he insists on affirming that "Security Extensions were introduced in Big Sur" as I'm still waiting for a retraction about that, which is completely incorrect, not to say something else.

Also, as he said "When we have a new version with firewall compatible with Big Sur ready, it will appear exactly as Little Snitch in the Network connection list." AGAIN IS NOT TRUE:

This is the new version:
1359118361_Screenshot2020-11-27at13_23_53.png.95b43312db88e9e71bfcd9273dc31180.png

Which also is INTRUSIVE as unlike the other network filters properly implemented, this one forces to have an active VPN connection.

This is Little Snitch (just ONE example):

1539304001_Screenshot2020-11-24at16_27_54.png.96abd7b4c1909c9e0c474e5647d97673.png

At least something is consistent. Marcos and ESET's developers. Both are horrible and can't get one thing right.

Edited by maverickws

• Administrators
3 minutes ago, maverickws said:

First he insists on affirming that "Security Extensions were introduced in Big Sur" as I'm still waiting for a retraction about that, which is completely incorrect, not to say something else.

No, I don't insist on it and already amended my statement before.

3 minutes ago, maverickws said:

Also, as he said "When we have a new version with firewall compatible with Big Sur ready, it will appear exactly as Little Snitch in the Network connection list." AGAIN IS NOT TRUE:

A version with the firewall compatible with Big Sur is to come in December. Currently we have a version where the following modules are compatible with Big Sur as per https://support.eset.com/en/news7604-eset-support-of-macos-11-big-sur

image.png

Glad you amended the statement, yet I did not read something along the lines of "I am sorry for my incorrect statement, indeed Security Extensions have been available since Catalina, available for development for over one and half years". I guess it was a silent update.

I'm REALLY looking forward for January (when my license renews, as well as a hundred other company licenses). I hope you guys use your time well, bc we're starting to do AV testing with other products.

4 hours ago, maverickws said:

Glad you amended the statement, yet I did not read something along the lines of "I am sorry for my incorrect statement, indeed Security Extensions have been available since Catalina, available for development for over one and half years". I guess it was a silent update.

I'm REALLY looking forward for January (when my license renews, as well as a hundred other company licenses). I hope you guys use your time well, bc we're starting to do AV testing with other products.

In fact, and adding to what was mentioned here, we can read the following on this ESET official link:

https://support.eset.com/en/news7604-eset-support-of-macos-11-big-sur

In ESET we are working on Apple's mandatory change from Kernel extensions to System extensions. But due to the extensive impact that this change has on the interaction of our software with the operating system, we were not able to deliver a fully compatible product on the day of the macOS Big Sur release on 12. November 2020.

This sentence again implies like if it was Apple's fault  - "Apple's mandatory change" & "(...)we were not able to deliver a fully compatible product on the day of the macOS Big Sur release":

No, you were not able to deliver a full compatible product because the genius over there were ONE YEAR AND HALF LATE to figure that kernel extensions were to die.

Apple correctly informed about this on the FIRST HALF of 2019. ESET, on its mediocrity, not only ignored the information provided, also ignored the warnings issued by Catalina saying Kernel extensions were legacy. It was one whole year with that warning. ONE WHOLE F. YEAR WITH THIS.

KB7472fig0-1.jpg.f308817764229a8618c61d09f6f0c401.jpg