EIS Inappropriate spam messages over desktop (and in wrong language)

Go to solution Solved by Marcos,

Hello,

I just noticed very inappropriate spam notification from EIS overlaying desktop. Furthermore, this spam seems to be displayed in a wrong language compared to main GUI:

image.thumb.png.14b2bf8fa9544ea1b75daba91971d3ab.png

How do I make sure this never ever happens again? If there's no way to prevent this, I will have to consider switching antivirus solution.

Thank you in advance.

• Most Valued Members

google translate reports it as Czech and it seems it's a product survey that somehow was sent in another language.

i doubt it's inappropriate and definitely not a reason to change AV.

how can we improve?

share with us your experiences and opinions on eset.
fill in the questionnaire 5 minutes

6 minutes ago, shocked said:

google translate reports it as Czech and it seems it's a product survey that somehow was sent in another language.

i doubt it's inappropriate and definitely not a reason to change AV.

how can we improve?

share with us your experiences and opinions on eset.
fill in the questionnaire 5 minutes

It certainly is inappropriate to me, as it classifies as spam, by following criteria:

1. I as a user have never consciously opted in to receive this specific kind of messages.

2. The message doesn't contain any clear mechanism or direction to disable this class of messages.

3. It is presented in an interruptive way (3rd party desktop overlay notification implementation, which bypasses Windows' notification system and therefore also Windows' do not disturb system designed to prevent notification interruptions during high concentration tasks).

This meets the standard criteria of spam; e.g. receiving a class of messages user has not opted in for while providing no clear way of unsubscribing. 

For me, this alone is a reason to switch AV software, as I value my focus during my work and having non important stuff pop up as desktop overlay over the software I am using is unacceptable. This one has ruined a tutorial video I was recording. 

A proper antivirus software at a paid license tier should never ever interrupt user unless there's something important or critical. I consider the ideal AV software to be the one you can forget about most of the time and never see unless there's an issue or a threat. EIS was relatively good at it up until now.

Edited by rawalanche

• Administrators
  • Solution

It was a message sent by our Czech branch to users who purchased a license from them. I would recommend contacting their support or sales department and providing them with feedback on the message. Since it's in their competence to message their customers, it's important that they hear your opinion on such messages.

9 minutes ago, Marcos said:

It was a message sent by our Czech branch to users who purchased a license from them. I would recommend contacting their support or sales department and providing them with feedback on the message. Since it's in their competence to message their customers, it's important that they hear your opinion on such messages.

I just wanted to know if there's simple switch somewhere in the GUI preferences to turn off this entire class of messages, as I could not find that on Google or in the documentation. Investigating this has already costed me some time, so I can't afford to waste much more of it having to relay feedback to specific branches of your company. I'd assume since you are part of the company, you should be able to do so.

If there's no OFF switch, then I just hope it won't happen again, and if it does, I'll just look for an alternative to EIS.

• Most Valued Members

if i'm not mistaken, the section "user interface" in the program settings has the options for those messages

In-product messaging

Display marketing messages – In-product messaging has been designed to inform users of ESET news and other communications. Sending marketing messages requires the consent of a user. Therefore, marketing messages are not sent to a user by default (shown as a question mark). By enabling this option, you agree to receive ESET marketing messages. If you are not interested in receiving ESET marketing material, disable the option.

Capture.PNG.4aae3e3b944a6032bf68b96e121416a2.PNG

11 minutes ago, shocked said:

if i'm not mistaken, the section "user interface" in the program settings has the options for those messages

In-product messaging

Display marketing messages – In-product messaging has been designed to inform users of ESET news and other communications. Sending marketing messages requires the consent of a user. Therefore, marketing messages are not sent to a user by default (shown as a question mark). By enabling this option, you agree to receive ESET marketing messages. If you are not interested in receiving ESET marketing material, disable the option.

Capture.PNG.4aae3e3b944a6032bf68b96e121416a2.PNG

I found that one but assume this was not the control I was looking for because I had it already set to off.

• Administrators

I've notified a colleague from the Czech Republic and provided her with a link to this topic to read your feedback. I can assure you that we value any constructive feedback from our users.