Server upgrade task never starts

Trying to upgrade via the Help menu from version 7.1 (7.1.717.0). The task is created, executions planned = yes, triggers = execute asap.

Job status does not change after 30+ minutes. I've rebooted the server and attempted again with the same results. Audit logs only show successful task creation, so I can't tell what is causing the hang up.

Any help or suggestions appreciated. TIA.

• ESET Staff
1 hour ago, j-gray said:

Trying to upgrade via the Help menu from version 7.1 (7.1.717.0). The task is created, executions planned = yes, triggers = execute asap.

Job status does not change after 30+ minutes. I've rebooted the server and attempted again with the same results. Audit logs only show successful task creation, so I can't tell what is causing the hang up.

Any help or suggestions appreciated. TIA.

Could you please check whether AGENT installed on the same machine as is ESMC Server is actually connecting to ESMC? Also please check configuration of created upgrade task, especially whether it references 7.2.* version of ESMC.

Thanks for the reply.

Sorry -I was in a hurry so I just downloaded and ran the all-in-one installer. It completed successfully in about 10 minutes. I guess I prefer this method anyway, as I can actually see what's happening.

Bit confusing though; the forum says latest version is 7.2.11.0. The all-in-one download says the same version, as does the changelog. However, I actually ended up with a different version than indicated:

ESET Security Management Center (Server), Version 7.2 (7.2.1266.0)
ESET Security Management Center (Web Console), Version 7.2 (7.2.221.0)

Also, after the upgrade, the ESMC still shows there is a product upgrade available. It references the 7.2.11.0 changelog

• Administrators

ESMC 7.2.11 consists of the following components (https://support.eset.com/en/kb3690-which-version-of-eset-remote-administrator-or-eset-security-management-center-server-and-related-components-do-i-have)

ESMC 7.2.11
Component Operation System Component Version
Agent Linux 7.2.2233.0
macOS 7.2.3261.0
Windows 7.2.1266.0
Migration Tool Windows 7.2.18.0
Migration Assistant Windows 7.2.22.0
Mirror Tool Linux 1.0.2109.0
Windows 1.0.1149.0
Mobile Device Connector Linux 7.2.5197.0
Windows 7.2.4187.0
Rogue Detection Sensor Linux 1.1.615.1
Windows 1.1.693.1
Server Linux 7.2.2233.0
Windows 7.2.1266.0
Apache HTTP Server with HTTP Proxy Windows 2.4.43.0
Apache Tomcat Windows 9.0.35
WinPcap Windows 4.1.3
Web Console Platform-independent 7.2.221.0
Remote Deployment Tool Windows 7.2.7.0

13 hours ago, Marcos said:

ESMC 7.2.11 consists of the following components (https://support.eset.com/en/kb3690-which-version-of-eset-remote-administrator-or-eset-security-management-center-server-and-related-components-do-i-have)

ESMC 7.2.11

Component Operation System Component Version
Agent Linux 7.2.2233.0
macOS 7.2.3261.0
Windows 7.2.1266.0
Migration Tool Windows 7.2.18.0
Migration Assistant Windows 7.2.22.0
Mirror Tool Linux 1.0.2109.0
Windows 1.0.1149.0
Mobile Device Connector Linux 7.2.5197.0
Windows 7.2.4187.0
Rogue Detection Sensor Linux 1.1.615.1
Windows 1.1.693.1
Server Linux 7.2.2233.0
Windows 7.2.1266.0
Apache HTTP Server with HTTP Proxy Windows 2.4.43.0
Apache Tomcat Windows 9.0.35
WinPcap Windows 4.1.3
Web Console Platform-independent 7.2.221.0
Remote Deployment Tool Windows 7.2.7.0

Thanks for the clarification, that helps a lot.

My console is still prompting me to update the product. How can I tell what it thinks needs to be updated? Or alternatively, if it's a false message, how do I clear it?  And/or should I attempt to run the upgrade task again?

The server was rebooted after successful completion of the all-in-one installation.

Edited by j-gray
added question for clarification

• ESET Staff
1 hour ago, j-gray said:

My console is still prompting me to update the product. How can I tell what it thinks needs to be updated? Or alternatively, if it's a false message, how do I clear it?  And/or should I attempt to run the upgrade task again?

Notification is based on version reports of ESMC Agent installed side-by-side with ESMC: could you please check what version of ESMC components is it reporting in console? This might be the same issue as reported initially where upgrade task was not starting - might indicate some problem in AGENT-to-ESMC communication, especially for agent installed on ESMC server machine.

Also is there any chance there is some other ERA/ESMC server installed in network? Asking as we have known issue where such older server, reported from network would trigger update notification of "main" ESMC.

20 minutes ago, MartinK said:

Notification is based on version reports of ESMC Agent installed side-by-side with ESMC: could you please check what version of ESMC components is it reporting in console? This might be the same issue as reported initially where upgrade task was not starting - might indicate some problem in AGENT-to-ESMC communication, especially for agent installed on ESMC server machine.

Also is there any chance there is some other ERA/ESMC server installed in network? Asking as we have known issue where such older server, reported from network would trigger update notification of "main" ESMC.

Thank you. This got me on the right path. I now recall the ESMC was migrated from Hyper-v to Vmware a few weeks ago. So essentially it was cloned.

Now ESMC sees the server as offline, so I'm not sure how to reset it?

Ok, it looks like the task actually ran even though it showed as offline.

I think we're good now. Thanks for the help!

• ESET Staff
18 hours ago, j-gray said:

Thank you. This got me on the right path. I now recall the ESMC was migrated from Hyper-v to Vmware a few weeks ago. So essentially it was cloned.

Now ESMC sees the server as offline, so I'm not sure how to reset it?

Depends on how migration was performed. In case new AGENT had to be installed on new server, there might be two separate entries in console reporting present of ESMC, one obsolete, probably no longer connecting, and new one, representing new server. The no-longer-connecting one might be actually reason for false update report.

There is also alternative that AGENT is not connecting due to significant hardware changes detected during migration. This should be visible in console in this AGENT's details in section "Questions", where approval of such changes have to be made. There are few alternatives, where at least one of those will result in duplication of entry as shown in console, and thus possibly resulting in the same state as I mentioned.

1 hour ago, MartinK said:

There is also alternative that AGENT is not connecting due to significant hardware changes detected during migration. This should be visible in console in this AGENT's details in section "Questions", where approval of such changes have to be made. 

This was the case, and I stepped through the dialog presented there. Because it was showing as offline, I didn't think the command would run against it, but it did and is functioning properly now.

Thanks again for the help!