Migrate from ESMC on Windows Server to ESMC VA?

• Administrators

If you used MySQL on Windows then migration could be possible. However, if you used a different db then it won't be possible since migration between various database types is not supported.

• Administrators

You'll need to re-deploy agent on clients. Then clients will start reporting to the ESMC server and send new data. If you don't need to keep old data, logs, etc. then it should not be a problem.

So they can just be over-installed?

Well i would prefer to keep the old data, but if that's not possible i will keep this in mind in case i go with it, thanks!

• Administrators

ESMC stores certificates as well as the data from clients in a database. VA runs on Linux and uses MySQL db. As I wrote, migration between different types of databases is not possible so if you want to use VA instead of ESMC on Windows, you'll need to use a blank db.

Yeah got that, worked with some databases and know you can't just copy between them in anything except very basic cases.

Just meant that since it doesn't work, i will consider starting a new, didn't mean it in a bad way, it is what it is :)

Mainly thinking about it for performance reasons, have had some odd cases in windows where it goes on a high load,

think the process was something like "erknt" or similar, i couldn't figure out if it was the ESMC itself or the antivirus part on the server.

• ESET Staff
1 hour ago, Marcos said:

You'll need to re-deploy agent on clients. Then clients will start reporting to the ESMC server and send new data. If you don't need to keep old data, logs, etc. then it should not be a problem.

Actually it should be even possible to perform migration without need for redeployment of AGENTs, when migration scenario Clean Installation - same IP address is followed.

Unfortunately not all management data can be exported and imported into new instance, bust most crucial as device hierarchy, configuration policies, reports and dynamic group templates should be, which might simplify transition.

Most of the static data will be re-populated almost instantly (includes SW,HW,OS details), but unfortunately even based logs as are most detection types won't be migrated, so it might be required to retain original server for purpose of history logs or most crucial logs can be exported at least in form of CSV/PDF reports.