No gui after upgrade.

I have uninstalled the trial version and installed the license version. Now the gui does not open anymore. Can anyone help me?

Ubuntu 20.04 LTS x86_64
kernel: 5.6.15-050615-generic

Yes, I have installed this version. There was no error during the installation. If I call in the bin/eset_gui nothing happens.

I have installed and uninstalled it several times now. It is always the same.

• Most Valued Members

You can't find the icon in icons indicator applet ?

Why have you uninstalled a trial version and installed a licensed version , still they are the same app , if you had a trial version working then you only need to change the license information so it could use your license through the same program without uninstalling/reinstalling.

Edited by Nightowl

yes i have the icon.
That was a mistake. I have now uninstalled and installed the program several times but the gui does not start.
What can I do now?

Do I really have to reinstall the whole system?

Edited by ina123

• Most Valued Members
12 minutes ago, ina123 said:

yes i have the icon.
That was a mistake. I have now uninstalled and installed the program several times but the gui does not start.
What can I do now?

Do I really have to reinstall the whole system?

I don't believe so , are you uninstalling through some command or through ESET uninstall wizard?

It's probably ESET's fault here , 20.04 uses a different kernel than 18.04 so almost everything is new/updated , and I don't know about the current status of support with v4 which is a legacy product

I uninstall through the ESET uninstall wizard.
Everything seems to work on the command line.

Thanks for your help.

• Most Valued Members

It seems weird , I am on 18.04 it's working fine for me , I honestly don't have a way to help you I am sorry.

Probably you need some assistance from an ESET Staff.

Yeah, I guess I will. But the support system of eset is very badly done. Instead of just opening a ticket and writing you can't find your way around.

• Administrators
19 minutes ago, ina123 said:

But the support system of eset is very badly done. Instead of just opening a ticket and writing you can't find your way around.

Unfortunately I don't understand this. What's wrong with support? Without calling support or creating a ticket it's not obviously possible to assist you. Also you have posted in ESET's forum where other users were trying to help.

By the way, when you attempt to run esets_gui do you get a message that it's already running?

@ubuntu18:/opt/eset/esets/bin$ ./esets_gui
Another process esets_gui already running

No, I don't get a message at all.

Nothing. Unfortunately no possibility of error search.

I don't feel like searching for hours either. That's what you do with open source but not with closed source. Closed source must work.

Thanks for your help.

• Administrators

It's possible to search both in the knowledgebase https://support.eset.com/en and in this forum. Of course, we cannot guarantee that you'll be able to find a solution 100%, that's why sometimes it may be necessary to contact ESET customer care.

I've installed Ubuntu 20 and ESET NOD32 Antivirus on it without issues:

image.png

Okay. So now I have to reinstall the entire ubuntu system.

or I'm gonna have to give up eset. I will decide.I've been troubleshooting for about 5 days.

I do not want to have the same problem with the next upgrade.

Thanks for the help. good job from you !

• Administrators

Did you go through the installation alright and the issue is that gui doesn't start after a reboot? Did you install libappindicator1?

• Most Valued Members
On 6/4/2020 at 10:46 PM, ina123 said:

Yeah, that's right.

Yeah, that's it. I also installed libappindicator1.

Did you come from 18.04 ?  , have you made an upgrade for the system or it's a clean install?

I have solved the problem. I have new installed ubuntu20.04. Only I as a user cannot call it up. It only works under root.
But now I have another problem. I cannot enter my license code. Username and password do not work. I have registered but it does not work with this login.

Again something that does not work. Bad.

Edited by ina123

• Administrators

I was unable to find any license registered with your forum email address. Please drop me a personal message with information that would help me find your license (email address, license key, public license ID or username).

• Most Valued Members
2 hours ago, ina123 said:

I have solved the problem. I have new installed ubuntu20.04. Only I as a user cannot call it up. It only works under root.
But now I have another problem. I cannot enter my license code. Username and password do not work. I have registered but it does not work with this login.

Again something that does not work. Bad.

As far as I remember ESET Gui doesn't need sudo permissions to be called