Jump to content

Eset Alert Bug - Google Search List


Recommended Posts

Win 10 x(64) 1909, FireFox 73.0.1, Eset IS 13.0.24

Eset is not throwing an alert for blocked Google search list results. Mouse clicking on the URL results in no visual clue the connection was blocked. Nor does the current displayed screen with existing search results change in any way. The block is logged in the event log however.

For example:

Eset_Google_PUA.png.a1d051ae62aa6d826ebb6530a3de61b4.png

However if I try to access hxxps://www.pcrisk.com from the FireFox address bar, the Eset PUA alert displays:

Eset_PUA_Alert.thumb.png.c8dfc5f4ef833f87f1fd46c0fd05e4fc.png

 

Edited by itman
Link to comment
Share on other sites

This issue can be duplicated by entering PCRisk in the Google search bar and clicking on any of the shown links associated with it:

Eset_PCRisk.thumb.png.d59a74d05a146d6a17531e37cb9a28d5.png

Edited by itman
Link to comment
Share on other sites

It also appears the problem only applies to Google Search. If I chose Bing, the PUA alert is shown correctly.

One possibility is a conflict with built-in Google Search anti-malware protection. It is not only blocking the connection, but also Eset's PUA alert.

Edited by itman
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Most Valued Members
2 hours ago, itman said:

It also appears the problem only applies to Google Search. If I chose Bing, the PUA alert is shown correctly.

One possibility is a conflict with built-in Google Search anti-malware protection. It is not only blocking the connection, but also Eset's PUA alert.

Does this still happen. As noted I tried on mobile earlier, haven't tried again. However just on my desktop now - googled PCRISK and clicked the first link and got the Potentially unwanted content found alert in the browser

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Most Valued Members
Just now, itman said:

Yes. Did you use Google as your search engine?

Yeah - no pop up message or anything like that just the eset message on the site itself asking if you want to continue or not

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, peteyt said:

Yeah - no pop up message or anything like that just the eset message on the site itself asking if you want to continue or not

i get nothing from Eset in the way of an alert. I also temporarily disabled uBlock Orgin to see if that might be the problem. Same behavior from Eset - no alerting in anyway.

Note that @stackz also confirmed the same issue occurs on his installation.

What ver. of Windows are you using; e.g. Win 10 1909.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Most Valued Members
6 minutes ago, itman said:

i get nothing from Eset in the way of an alert. I also temporarily disabled uBlock Orgin to see if that might be the problem. Same behavior from Eset - no alerting in anyway.

Note that @stackz also confirmed the same issue occurs on his installation.

What ver. of Windows are you using; e.g. Win 10 1909.

It might be because I'm using a beta version of eset and the problem is fixed. I'm also using 1909

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I did find a workaround in FireFox though.

Right mouse click on Google search result link. Then select either Open Link in New Tab or Window will produce the Eset PUA alert. Really not a practical solution.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, BeanSlappers said:

I have had not problems accessing this site with Firefox 73

Actually, you should be receiving a PUA alert if not using Google Search. When using Google Search, no alert but no connection but access silently blocked and PUA log entry created.

In any case, you should not be allowed access to the pcrisk web site unimpeded.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I can confirm this too, tested with Edge-Chromium latest (v80.0.361.57) and Firefox latest (v73.0.1).

With Google Chrome latest (v80.0.3987.122) I get the ESET PUA Alert. 

(Win10 x64 1909, EIS 13.0.24.0)

Edited by Piratez
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...