is this a false or real alarm from ESET?

moeetee

3 minutes ago, moeetee said:

Yeah

Eset is alerting on KMSAuto which is the license cracker. It also and it most cases when used as such, contains malware.

1 minute ago, itman said:

Eset is alerting on KMSAuto which is the license cracker. It also and it most cases when used as such, contains malware.

Wonder why it's alerting me now when I installed it so long ago. I'll delete it.

Do you know a good program that would have scan all email attachments and their body of their emails or better yet disable into text before an email hits my inbox? I've been getting hits from competing enterprises sending me fake and phishing emails.

10 minutes ago, moeetee said:

Do you know a good program that would have scan all email attachments and their body of their emails or better yet disable into text before an email hits my inbox?

Yes. you already have it installed. It's called Eset Internet Security. Even if you don't use a supported e-mail client, it will scan all incoming POPS and IMAPS e-mail.

10 minutes ago, moeetee said:

I've been getting hits from competing enterprises sending me fake and phishing emails.

My recommendations for client e-mail security are:

1. Do not display attachments in-line.

2. Disable all active content.

3. For maximum security, only accept e-mail in text format. This way any links are clearly shown and will only open in your browser.

Edited by itman

Yes. you already have it installed. It's called Eset Internet Security. Even if you don't use a supported e-mail client, it will scan all incoming POPS and IMAPS e-mail.

My recommendations for client e-mail security are:

1. Do not display attachments in-line.

2. Disable all active content.

3. For maximum security, only accept e-mail in text format. This way any links are clearly shown and will only open it your browser.

I use ESET but I still get the fake phising emails....What is the different with these large companies and their email security they use? Like Barracuda Email Security Gateway ?

How do I not make Outlook display attachments in the email?

What do you mean disable all active content?

Accepting email text in format - would mean I cant use HTML when I send outgoing emails?

4 minutes ago, Marcos said:

It appears that you most likely enabled detection of potentially unsafe applications which is disabled by default.

I believe I enabled it yes.

17 minutes ago, moeetee said:

How do I not make Outlook display attachments in the email?

Not sure since I never used Outlook, Does appear to be an "involved" process with Outlook: https://office-watch.com/2016/outlook-checks-for-incoming-attachments-like-doc-xls-etc/

20 minutes ago, moeetee said:

What do you mean disable all active content?

Actually, I meant remote content. Thunderbird e-mail for example does block it automatically: https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/remote-content-in-messages

22 minutes ago, moeetee said:

Accepting email text in format - would mean I cant use HTML when I send outgoing emails?

There should be an option to receive e-mail in text format but send e-mail in HTML format.

Not sure since I never used Outlook, Does appear to be an "involved" process with Outlook: https://office-watch.com/2016/outlook-checks-for-incoming-attachments-like-doc-xls-etc/

Actually, I meant remote content. Thunderbird e-mail for example does block it automatically: https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/remote-content-in-messages

There should be an option to receive e-mail in text format but send e-mail in HTML format.

I'll check these out in a few hours when I get home.

What about  me getting fake phishing emails even when ESET email protection is on?....What is the different with these large companies and their email security they use? Like Barracuda Email Security Gateway ?

6 minutes ago, moeetee said:

What about  me getting fake phishing emails even when ESET email protection is on?.

Eset has e-mail anti-phishing protection in their Mail Server product: https://help.eset.com/emsx/7.0/en-US/idh_config_server_antiphishing.html

As far as the consumer products go, as long as the link in the e-mail opens in a browser window, Eset anti-phishing protection should kick-in. Again, this is only protection against connecting to a known phishing web site.

12 minutes ago, moeetee said:

What is the different with these large companies and their email security they use? Like Barracuda Email Security Gateway ?

No clue since I never have used any of them.

A few other e-mail security comments.

Clicking on any client e-mail link is "risky business." For maximum security, one should always copy the link to a browser and open it there.

For anti-phishing testing, I use this web site which I consider the best source of  phishing domains on the web: https://phishbank.org/#/ . My experience is whatever Eset doesn't detect there; which by the way scores quite good, the uBlock extension for FireFox and Chrome using its standard protection lists will detect it.

Edited by itman

4 hours ago, Marcos said:

As long as a supported email client is used, ESET antispam should filter phishing email.

I see some auto filtered emails put to the Spam folder by ESET - that's only if I right click on the email and have it do it.

I get random emails from people that sometimes go to junk - but there are shady emails with fake attachments and whatnot that still get through.

3 hours ago, itman said:

A few other e-mail security comments.

Clicking on any client e-mail link is "risky business." For maximum security, one should always copy the link to a browser and open it there.

For anti-phishing testing, I use this web site which I consider the best source of  phishing domains on the web: https://phishbank.org/#/ . My experience is whatever Eset doesn't detect there; which by the way scores quite good, the uBlock extension for FireFox and Chrome using its standard protection lists will detect it.

I mean I don't its phishing because some of the emails I can recognize that's fraudulent. It's more so also that, I'm scared if I open an email just by simply opening it - I'm afraid of getting tracked geographically ( I use a email tracker too) or just getting infected just by opening the email. 

Also, for uBlock - I have a ad blocker but I use the actual program Outlook.

Edited by moeetee

13 hours ago, moeetee said:

It's more so also that, I'm scared if I open an email just by simply opening it - I'm afraid of getting tracked geographically ( I use a email tracker too) or just getting infected just by opening the email. 

If you don't recognize the sender, just don't open the e-mail and delete it instead. Also an e-mail client such as Thunderbird has an option to display full e-mail header data. This will full sender data which is useful in determining if the e-mail is legit.