is this a false or real alarm from ESET?

moeetee

I opened up uTorrent and started downloading 2 TV shows from a public torrent website and I receive consistent popups from ESET as show below:

ESETT.thumb.PNG.7e701a41c3e1d3b5019c616782e342b8.PNGESETT2.thumb.PNG.cc3e1e6a95a31811f237b40ceba79efc.PNG

I kept clicking on Clean and the popup just kept popping up and continued to download the video files. Once they were done, I did a scan and nothing was found.

Is this a false alarm or not? Were their viruses that ESET's scan did not locate?

• Administrators

If you would like to use the PUA in question, expand Advanced options, check "Exclude signature from detection" and then click Ignore. Otherwise uninstall the PUA in a standard way.

1 minute ago, Marcos said:

If you would like to use the PUA in question, expand Advanced options, check "Exclude signature from detection" and then click Ignore. Otherwise uninstall the PUA in a standard way.

What's a PUA?

I don't think I am asking on the options that I know I can choose from, I am talking about the popup and uTorrent. I've used it before so I am not sure why ESET popped up on this. 

20 minutes ago, moeetee said:

I am talking about the popup and uTorrent. I've used it before so I am not sure why ESET popped up on this. 

Eset is alerting on the file uTorrent downloaded; not for uTorrent itself. Also detection of uTorrent itself or its downloads is nothing new: https://torrentfreak.com/utorrent-flagged-as-threat-by-microsoft-and-anti-virus-vendors-180312/

1 minute ago, itman said:

Eset is alerting on the file uTorrent downloaded; not for uTorrent itself. Also detection of uTorrent itself or its downloads is nothing new: https://torrentfreak.com/utorrent-flagged-as-threat-by-microsoft-and-anti-virus-vendors-180312/

Hey man, that is not correct. Once I deleted the files and I open uTorrent and nothing is downloading..those popups still occur.

• Administrators

The app attempts to update. Upon update, it downloads the installer which is detected. As long as the app will attempt to update, the PUA will be detected. If you want to use it, exclude it from detection as suggested above.

Or, disable uTorrent auto updating if that is possible. Then manually download any updates that might be available; preferably from a web site that has "sanitized" the download.

Edited by itman

22 minutes ago, Marcos said:

The app attempts to update. Upon update, it downloads the installer which is detected. As long as the app will attempt to update, the PUA will be detected. If you want to use it, exclude it from detection as suggested above.

17 minutes ago, itman said:

Or, disable uTorrent auto updating if that is possible. Then manually download any updates that might be available; preferably from a web site that has "sanitized" the download.

I just opened it - disabled auto updates - exited it out. Reopened it and I still get the same thing...Nothing has been dowloaded or current being downloaded.

• Administrators

I see now that the event was detected not on a newly created file but when the app attempted to access the installer in the update folder. You can either choose to clean/delete the app in the install folder or exclude the signature from detection.

3 minutes ago, Marcos said:

I see now that the event was detected not on a newly created file but when the app attempted to access the installer in the update folder. You can either choose to clean/delete the app in the install folder or exclude the signature from detection.

Okay, I manually deleted those folders and .exe in the updates folder but when I reopen uTorrent these auto appear.ESETTT.thumb.png.df5772b7e4b1b777fc8b4d0f787fdc29.png

23 minutes ago, moeetee said:

Okay, I manually deleted those folders and .exe in the updates folder but when I reopen uTorrent these auto appear.

Did you reboot? Appears uTorrent's auto update setting might be a registry setting. This won't take effect until a reboot is performed.

If that doesn't work, your only other alternative is to create an Eset HIPS block rule that prevents utorrent.exe from modifying and deleting files in C:\Users\Moe\AppData\Roaming\uTorrent\updates\*.* .

1 minute ago, itman said:

Did you reboot? Appears uTorrent's auto update setting might be a registry setting. This won't take effect until a reboot is performed.

If that doesn't work, your only other alternative is to create an Eset HIPS block rule that prevents utorrent.exe from modifying and deleting files in C:\Users\Moe\AppData\Roaming\uTorrent\updates\*.* .

Let me reboot right now. 

Oh and when I deleted those files/folders and I reopened uTorrent, the popup did come up but it came once and when I clicked on Clean. Nothing happened thereafter as uTorrent is running. No reoccurring popups. Buet, let me reboot and see.

7 minutes ago, itman said:

ESETTT4.png.1d412dfcc4a1708e8355b47a904379cf.png

This is what popped up now.

Possible uTorrent created a Win scheduled task that runs at boot time or has modified a registry run key either of which could be performing the update.

Personally, I would just dump uTorrent and find somethng else.

How do I create a  Eset HIPS block rule that prevents utorrent.exe from modifying and deleting files in C:\Users\Moe\AppData\Roaming\uTorrent\updates\*.* . ?

3 minutes ago, moeetee said:

How do I create a  Eset HIPS block rule that prevents utorrent.exe from modifying and deleting files in C:\Users\Moe\AppData\Roaming\uTorrent\updates\*.* . ?

Refer to Eset in-program online help.

34 minutes ago, itman said:

Refer to Eset in-program online help.

Why is uTorrent being detected by ESET in the first place?

Edited by moeetee

29 minutes ago, moeetee said:

Why is uTorrent being detected by ESET in the first place?

use qBittorrent which is open source and virus free. uTorrent is infested with malware and spyware

https://forum.eset.com/topic/5285-eset-detecting-utorrent-as-a-pup-all-of-a-sudden/?do=findComment&comment=29891

Here are some uTorrent alternatives: https://www.thewindowsclub.com/utorrent-alternatives-for-windows

Just remember to perform web due diligence on the free alternatives lest you end up in the same situation you're in with uTorrent; they install undesirable software.

• Most Valued Members

Save your time with this matter , switch to Deluge or qBittorrent, both are open-source and shouldn't install anything else with your client

Edited by Rami

On 9/26/2019 at 1:49 PM, Rami said:

Save your time with this matter , switch to Deluge or qBittorrent, both are open-source and shouldn't install anything else with your client

I will check that out thanks man.

So, I got a popup showing this. This came out of no where, I think I clicked delete or clean all? Why did this popup out of no where?

eseeet28.thumb.PNG.0c31da53efdce81630662096aaab5ae4.PNG