ESET Endpoint Antivirus Stealing Focus

ESET process egui.exe is stealing focus, but opening no window every 15-20 seconds on several of my users computers.  

The issue sounds exactly like the one mentioned on NOD32 here:

It pretty much happens all the time, and tends to really foul up their data entry in applications like excel.  As two of the users are in accounting, this can be a tedious issue.  I've used WindowFocusLogger to confirm it is egui.exe, and removing and installing EEAV7  with ERA Agent 7 has no effect. 

Initially my users were running ERA Agent 6.5.522.0 and EEAV 7.1.2045.5. I'm moving them all to ERA Agent 7.0.577.0 and EEAV 7.1.2053.0. Getting the ERA agent updated requires manually uninstalling the older one, so I just removed both and installed from a newly downloaded installer generated in my ERA console 

(versions:
ESET Security Management Center (Server), Version 7.0 (7.0.553.0)
ESET Security Management Center (Web Console), Version 7.0 (7.0.413.0))

These updates are to no avail.  the issue persists on windows 7 and 10 workstations (both 64-bit) .

Please advise if this is a known issue and has a workaround.  Disabling GUI through policy does not mitigate the issue.  Keeping the GUI open does, but that's a hack, not a fix.

Edited by jhendrickson
Correcting technical details and formatting

• ESET Staff

Hello, I have checked it with the development team, and this issue has been fixed in a newer version of Endpoint 7.1.2053.0.

Also, if you want to disable the GUI completely, you have to restart the computer, in order to have this setting applied correctly. 

• Most Valued Members
1 hour ago, MichalJ said:

Hello, I have checked it with the development team, and this issue has been fixed in a newer version of Endpoint 7.1.2053.0.

Also, if you want to disable the GUI completely, you have to restart the computer, in order to have this setting applied correctly. 

If you have an Endpoint with Full GUI , and then you apply Policy from server to the Endpoints that you want to make the GUI Silent , you change that and the GUI becomes Silent and can only be started by Administrator , but yet still the icon is stuck in the icons bar , clicking it won't do anything

What fixed that for me , is the update from version to version , now I have Endpoint with the latest version , Silent , but yet still the icon is stuck in the icons bar.

Example :

Version X - Full GUI > Switch in Policy to Silent > Icon is stuck in the icon bar , no matter what you do it will stay there but won't be openable , after upgrade to XY , icon disappeared

Version XY - Full GUI > Switch in Policy to Silent  > Icon is stuck in the icon bar like earlier version

Edited by Rami

8 hours ago, MichalJ said:

This has not been fixed in the recently released 7.1.2053.0 but was fixed in ESET NOD32 Antivirus, ESET Internet Security and ESET Smart Security Premium version 12.2.23.0 according to the release notes.

It is taking an exceptionally long time to publish a patch for an issue that consumes CPU and interferes with normal desktop usage when the issue was supposedly identified and patched in April/May.

• Administrators
8 hours ago, dylanm said:

t is taking an exceptionally long time to publish a patch for an issue that consumes CPU and interferes with normal desktop usage when the issue was supposedly identified and patched in April/May.

New versions are released 3-4 times a year, each with a bunch of changes, fixes or improvements. The process of releasing a new version takes time; from picking the scope and subsequent coding, through localization, QA testing, coordination with partners around the globe, etc. Our goal is to provide quality products so we cannot afford skipping QA testing for instance to gain some time and have a particular version released earlier. As far as I know, a service build of Endpoint 7.1 should be released very soon but let me double check it with the appropriate people. In the mean time we keep working hard on Endpoint 7.2 which should be available towards the end of the year and will bring quite big changes under the hood.

Last but not least, you've mentioned an issue with high CPU consumption. Since I'm not aware of any, please provide a link where it was reported here in the forum, or if you have a ticket number, please provide it.