Endpoint isn't Protecting from Sites with Potentially Unwanted Content?

Al Puzzuoli

Hello,

I am using Nod32 Home Edition on my own PC. At work, I am a user of, and administrator of Eset EndpointSecurity. I've noticed that at home, nod32 is more aggressive about protecting me from URLs containing potentially unwanted content. For example, at home, I can't go to todownload.com URLs  while at work, I can. Is this a feature that hasn't made it into Endpoint yet, or is it something I need to activate somehow?

Thanks,

--Al

• Administrators

It sounds like you have detection of potentially unwanted applications disabled at work. It's an optional detection as it doesn't cover malicious or otherwise dangerous files or websites.

• ESET Staff

Hi Al,

I agree with Marcos. Using default policy settings for ERA, ESET Endpoint Security will block potentially unsafe applications, but will allow potentially unwanted applications. You can make changes in three places in your ESET Remote Administror (ERA) policy for Endpoint Security clients that will block potentially unwanted programs. If you only want to edit settings on an individual client workstation, see our home-side Knowledgebase article. The steps in ESET Endpoint Security and ESET Endpoint Antivirus are very similar. To make policy changes in ERA so that all clients block these applications, see my instructions below. I'll make sure that we make this data available in the Knowledgebase in the future.

To access these settings, open ERA, open Policy Manager (Tools > Policy Manager), select your policy for clients and click Edit. Expand Windows desktop v5 and set your preference in the following four locations:

(Note: A value of Yes will cause the applications to be allowed while a value of No will block them in real-time file-system protection and during scans.)

1. Kernel > Scanner > Options > Potentially unwanted applications and Kernel > Scanner > Options > Potentially unsafe applications

2. Computer scan > Scanner (On-demand scanner) Options > Potentially unwanted applications and Kernel > Scanner > Options > Potentially unsafe applications

3. Real-time file system protection > Scanner (Real-time file system protection) > Options > Potentially unwanted applications and Kernel > Scanner > Options > Potentially unsafe applications

4. Document protection > Scanner (Document protection) > Options > Potentially unwanted applications and Kernel > Scanner > Options > Potentially unsafe applications

Hope this helps.