Removing ESET NOD32 4

micahp
Go to solution Solved by dwomack,

I'm running into some issues where ESET NOD32 4 was installed on a server(Windows 2008 R2 SP1) instead of ESET File Security. After having ran the uninstall package it gets to the 'Uninstalling Drivers' phase and locks the server up making it unusable requiring a restart. After restarting the server it appears as if it has been removed but when trying to install ESET File Security it comes up with an error saying that it cannot be installed because there is an ongoing installation of ESET and to remove that version first. I can try and run the uninstall again but then an error comes up saying ESET NOD32 is not there. Any thoughts or recommendations?

• Former ESET Employees

If the standard "Start > All Programs > ESET > ESET NOD32 Antivirus 4 for Business > Uninstall" process isn't working, our manual uninstaller here should work for you.

WARNING: Before running the ESETuninstaller.exe file, back up your network settings. They may get cleared during the process. I've also been told that when you run the file, you will need to run it with a /reinst switch.

Click Here for the Written Instructions

Click Here for the VIDEO Instructions

Also going to move this to the Business Products Endpoint Forums, since this isn't concerning the Home User version of NOD32

I have also tried to manually uninstall through 'Safe Mode' but the server client will not boot into safe mode.. crashes right when you're trying to login.

Guest matt

Everytime I have removed v4 from 2008 R2 I had major issues (servers freeze up, uninstall does not complete). I think it's happened 4 times to me. There are other threads discussing this issue. I am thankful I don't have to remove any more v4 from servers, what a mess. I wish I could give you more advice, but you are better off finding the old threads.

• Former ESET Employees
  • Solution

Open a command prompt with admin rights and run ESETUninstaller.exe /nosafemode and let us know if that helps.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Micah

Open a command prompt with admin rights and run ESETUninstaller.exe /nosafemode and let us know if that helps.

I meant to follow up sooner but that did the trick. Thanks!

• 1 year later...

This problem drives me insane 

1. In advanced setup in computer protection disable stealth mode

2. Make sure you are full administrator from USERS OU , if not create a a new one by copying the administrator user as a template (administrator on modern OS is disabled and in SBS versions the administrator does not have the correct permissions to delete ESET services)

3 . Log on as new administrator or if already fully fledged , disable all eset services, if you get access denied you may not successfully uninstall (about 80% success rate)

4 Reboot server

5 Log on as administrator again and make sure no ESET services are running, Right Click the ESET unistall follow from programs (server 2012 you will to press CTRL + tab on metro screen to see it) and run as administrator (server 2003 take the tick out of restricted access)

6 Should install fairly quickly though Mail security can take a couple minutes longer.

7 If all else fails use the eset uninstaller , though I have known eset to come back after using this method

Edited by Disgruntled

• Administrators

Normally it's not a problem to remove ESET at all. Uninstallation is accomplished by Windows Installer (and Windows itself when it comes to uninstalling drivers). The Uninstall tool was made to help users remove ESET products if WI or Windows itself fails to uninstall components the standard way.

Uninstall issues are not caused by ESET but by issues with the operating system. Also it could be that users remove the appropriate backup msi file from the Windows/Install folder which WI needs to run uninstallation.

• 1 month later...

hi Micahp

May i ask if after removing eset with the /nosafemode switch, does your server now boot to safe mode?

I have the exact same problem 

thanks